Sign in to follow this  
trueimage15

Pointing Out a Sin

Matthew 18:15-17 certainly permits (if not commands) that. As Christians, we should not judge with hypocrisy, in order to elevate ourselves (Matthew 7:1-6), but we should judge with righteous judgment (John 7:24).

Matthew 18:15-17 certainly permits (if not commands) that. As Christians, we should not judge with hypocrisy, in order to elevate ourselves (Matthew 7:1-6), but we should judge with righteous judgment (John 7:24).

This.

Judge lest you be judged--in other words, judge others how you judge yourself.

ok and if the person is older than you, how best would/could said sin be addressed?

I suppose just ask them about it. It might be a little awkward, but it's to help build them up. Point out their sin to them, but don't condemn them for it.

Answer to your question: YES, yes, YES, yes, YES, yes, YES, yes, YES, and a million times YES! :)

It is called Righteous judgment, one of the only judgments that we are honestly told to do. Also this may be more commonly referred to as... ACCOUNTABILITY. As brothers and sisters in Christ we are called to hold each other accountable of our actions(this includes what comes out yo mouth). We are told so many times in the new testament to give righteous judgment(accountability) and to help our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ out.

Proverbs 27:17:

Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.

By holding each other accountable, and pointing out each others sins...IN A LOVING WAY....we are sharpening each other and building each other up! :)

Hope this helps, I love this topic, so any other questions just PM me. :)

-Colton

I agree that were called to hold our brothers and sister's accountable, however I also believe that tact is extremely important in these situations. Approach your friend with love, in private, and in such a way that makes it clear that you are really looking out for their best interest.

Also be ready to explain why its a sin using a combination of biblical evidence and some good ol' 'this is how its affecting you and/or the people around you'.

Yes, and you should. But do not point out sins in a condemning manner. Rather, confront your fellow believers in a loving and encouraging way.

The word states that the Holy Spirit came to convict us of sin, righteousness and judgement. This is not condemn, it's convict, there is a massive difference. The Holy Spirit does this in order to create change in the lives of people. He will do it perfectly because God is perfect. So before you place yourself in the position to make any form of judgment (the word says you will be judged as you judge) pray for the person, and ask the Holy Spirit to according to His word convict the person and yourself of the sin in your lives.

Yes, if you really care about the person, pointing out something wrong is important...I would hope my friend would do the same. It should never be done in a gloating manner (that isn't to say you are, I am speaking in general terms) but in a way that shows that you care and love the person and that you don't want to see them fall into sin.

So...if that made sense...lol. Yes, it's okay to point it out.

Yeah I think this is right. I don't see why there should be a difference between how our law system works in judging criminals and the "less serious" sins we are afraid to bring up, even though it will be better for those who are doing it to know.