Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Dog

"Talking" to God vs. "Praying"...

Alright, so... Every night before I go to sleep, I like to chat with God about my day/thank Him for what He's done for me. What I wanna know is... Is what I am doing actually PRAYING and not talking? I have heard that when you pray, you talk to God... So I am just a tad confused. ^_^u What's the difference? :)

I have always thought of them as the very same thing. There are, of course, formal and informal prayers.

I pretty much agree with Selah. Prayer is just communication with God. It does not have to be anything special. But there are times for more serious or formal prayers.

I do the same thing quite often. I consider it to be praying, since praying is just communicating with God.

I do the same thing before I go to bed and also just generally when I'm walking home from some place and am on my own. I think talking/praying is kinda the same thing and I talk to him about ALL kinds of things! Hopes, fears, my day..whatever is on my mind! :)

when I'm walking home

I love to take walks and pray! :D I haven't done that in so long, I need to start again!

However, prayer often includes listening as well.

As does talking to God. All communication should include a combination of both speaking and listening.

As does talking to God. All communication should include a combination of both speaking and listening.

I wish there was a "like" button :D Well said!

I do the same thing a lot of times before I go to bed, I think it is a form of prayer. As others have stated before me there are times for formal and informal prayers. I think there are a lot of different kinds of prayer, rather than saying its talking to God I like to say prayer is communicating with God because you might not nesicarily be talking to him. Sometimes I just meditate on whatever it is I read in the Bible and ask God to help me understand his word. Sometimes I ask him specific questions or requests, other time I just think about how amazing and wonderful he is and thank him for everything he has done. So yeah in my opinion those are all the different ways you can pray, though I probably left out some too.