Sign in to follow this  
steven

How can a Christian introvert serve God?

So this is a little long but please bear with me...

So yeah...I'm a Christian introvert. And I have doubts about myself. I feel like I'm not serving God enough. I must admit I don't belong to any ministry in our church. I don't play any instruments or join our activities in the youth ministry. All because of my introversion.

I've always like being alone. I enjoy it. Being around people makes me feel really awkward. I even stutter sometimes when talking. I also gets misunderstood A LOT. I bet a lot of people think I'm a very cold person...

In Church...

I don't show much emotion whenever I'm in church. I don't raise my hands or jump or dance during praise and worship. There's this also one part in the ceremony where the members would have to shake hands. And when it that part comes I always go to the bathroom. There came a time that I doubted my faith. And I grew astray. But not anymore! I found Jesus again and I'm really happy with that. And I do love Him! My faith burns even more brighter! But I must admit I still feel really guilty about all the terrible mistakes I've made...

So I want to serve Him! I really really do! He saved me all over again and I don't want to waste it. I know God gave us all unique personalities...

Is anyone here like me? If yes how did you serve Him? I must admit it's really hard being an introvert in church.

Guest JAG

Both Moses and Jeremiah were introverts with speech problems.

Hello Steven! And welcome to the forums!

Yes, I used to be alot like you. I was extremely introverted. Over the years it has gotten better, but it's still something that I struggle with from time to time.

Don't be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone. Easier said than done, I know. But the first time you try something is always going to make you feel uncomfortable or akward. The first time I tried something new, I felt like I was going to have a panic attack....Start with small little things. Take tiny steps out of your comfort zone and grow from there.

A teaching that really got me thinking was that about when Jesus called Peter to step out of the boat to walk on water. Jesus is calling us to step out of our boats and onto the waters of faith. Jesus didn't have a comfort zone. And He's gently calling us to take a step of faith and trust Him.

Something that I realized over time, was that alot of others felt the same way I did. When I concentrated on what others might be feeling, I slowly could take little steps of faith.

Belive who you are in Jesus and know that He can set you free.

Some Bible verses that really helped me:

1 John 4:4, "Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world."

2 Timothy 1:7, "For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control."

Don't get frustrated if things don't change right away, it takes little steps. Find some great Christian friends around you. I'll be praying for you!

There are ways for all people to serve. God has made us all with our unique interests, gifts, and cultural relativity for a purpose, my friend. :)

Your gifting may be quiet and involve you doing merciful or hospitable things, cooking dinners for people, visiting and caring for the sick and needy. Helping widows or orphans.

You may be able to serve around the church just by doing mundane but important tasks that you can do by yourself.

There are a lot of things one can do.

But my biggest encouragement is that you not live by how you feel but rather that you do what's probably better and try to meet people. Shaking someone's hand, or meeting someone isn't going to do anything to you. It's going to provoke irrational fear in you that force you to be lead by fear and it's not a good lifestyle you want to go down.

You've gotten good advice!

Are there any other talents, gifts, things you like to do that Christ may be able to use in you? Maybe working with adults is nerve-wracking to you, but how about little kids? Do you like to cook? Churches need cooks! Are you good at organizing and planning things? How about making posters?

I'm a bit of an introverted extrovert myself, meaning that I love people and being around people so long as I can get away from them sometimes! :laugh: This summer I was working at a Catholic Youth Camp where you were surrounded by people 24/7 and my escape was volunteering to sweep out the chapel every day. I loved the peace quiet and time with God, and I think he appreciates that also.

Though, there is a diffrence between introvertedness and social anxiety. If your just an introvert and like it that way, then I suggest finding a position in the church where God can use you. But, if its social anxiety, (which I suspect a little bit from your post) I really do encourage you to try to stick yourself out there. Like Jake said, people really arn't watching your every mistake and awkwardness like you think they are (and I know its hard to get rid of that mindset, trust me) they're really more absorbed in themselves. Invest time in people, ask them about there day, how they like school, that teacher they hate, whatever and they'll do most of the talking for you while you build up your confidence. :-)

Have you ever thought about writing? Like writing a book, or devotions, or something like that?

make up for it with kindness and smiles and love. Even if you're quiet show God in your actions as much as possible:thumbsup:

that and ask God for boldness each day:D