Sign in to follow this  
Orfeo

Could someone please explain what Speaking in Toungues is?

Hi guys! :)

So one of my dear friends and I were having a conversation about religion, and she mentioned in passing this thing called "speaking in tongues", but we really didn't discuss it in detail. I was just wondering what in the heck it is hahahahahaha :P

Anyone know?

Speaking in tongues is a gift of or the evidence of the Holy Ghost. It is the Holy Ghost speaking thru you in either an Earthly language that you have no prior knowledge of, or your spirit praying to God in an ecstatic language (the language of angels). The Bible refers to it mostly in Acts, and uses the terms speaking with other tongues, speaking in tongues, and speaking in unknown tongues. One is the gift of tongues, and the other is the evidence of the Holy Ghost. I'll tell you about both.

Acts chapter 2 is probably the only Bible reference to someone speaking in Earthly tongues.

Acts 2:1-4 says: "And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the spirit gave utterance." The people were of all different nationalities, and yet they heard the apostles speak there language, even tho at that time the Apostles had not previously known there languages. The Holy Spirit spoke the word of God thru them in a language that the others standing around could understand. God uses this gift much the same way today. It is the gift of the Holy Ghost, given at random to who the spirit of God chooses. Not everyone can speak in tongues this way. Today it is used in the church to speak to the church. 1 Corinithinans 14 tells us that an interpreter is needed, and that no more than 3 people should ever speak in this type of tongues in a church service, and let one interpret. If God gives the gift to someone, he will have an interpreter.

The second type of tongues is the language of angels, or an ecstatic language.

Acts 19:1-6 says: "And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. And all the men were about twelve."

Now before I go any farther, I should tell you that (per Pentecostal belief) you recieve the Holy Ghost by praying to recieve him AFTER you are saved. It's not a requirement of salvation, nor is speaking in tongues. But you dont recieve the Holy Ghost when you get saved. You get saved, then you recieve the Holy Ghost.

That being said, the verse in green is speaking of the evidence of the Holy Ghost. It's still used today and is used by saved, Holy Ghost filled believers in prayer. It is never to be used in speaking to the church, because it is the language of angels and therefore is not interpreted so you would be simply rambling. It's your spirit praying to God, so it is to be used in prayer. No interpreter is needed for ecstatic tongues, and anyone can speak in this type of tongues, so long as they recieve the Holy Ghost.

I hope this helps :) if you have any questions feel free to post and I'll do my best to answer.

Yours in Christ

-Haley

Hi guys! :)

So one of my dear friends and I were having a conversation about religion, and she mentioned in passing this thing called "speaking in tongues", but we really didn't discuss it in detail. I was just wondering what in the heck it is hahahahahaha :P

Anyone know?

In some extreme parts of the Pentecostal movement, speaking in tongues is a practice where someone empties their mind and speaks gibberish. This practice is usually done in prayer, or perhaps a church service. Such a practice is obviously completely foreign to Scripture.

Speaking in tongues, as explained in Scripture, is quite different. In Acts 2:1-13, for instance, when the apostles "spoke in tongues," the miraculous gift enabled the apostles to speak and have the crowds hear their voice in their own specific language.

There are a few different views on whether speaking in tongues exists today. I would certainly be an advocate of the view that the gift of speaking in tongues was present only in the first century. Just like the apostles having the ability to heal people of sickness (for example, Peter with his shadow Acts 5:15), so too speaking in tongues was a temporary gift of the first century that afterwards disappeared. I believe that 1 Corinthians 13:8 can be used to support this view (by the way, the view that the gift of tongues has ceased is called "Cessationism").

There are those who believe that the gift of tongues has not ceased today. I do not agree with this view. Not only do I not agree because of Scriptural reasons, but the evidence that tongues have continued into today seems to be lacking. It seems that if people really could speak in tongues as the apostles did, those people would all be on the mission field, helping all these missionaries who are giving up their lives to reach an unreached people group by learning their language and translating the Bible into their language.

That being said, I would certainly question someone's salvation if they believe that in order to be saved you need to be able to speak gibberish.

Note that Paul says a lot about tongues in his letter to the Corinthians. It is important to be familiar with the letter as a whole because many of Paul's comments regarding speaking in tongues are sarcastic-- and if you read those verses out of context you will likely end up misinterpreting them.

Speaking is tongues is when the Holy Spirit speaks through you.

People typically do it when they are intimately praying to God.

Only God knows what your saying.

It's one of the best experiences in the world.

I just want to begin by stating that I pretty much disagree with every comment in this post. Some of it is factually inaccurate, some is misrepresentation, and some is merely a difference of opinion. Let's begin:

In some extreme parts of the Pentecostal movement, speaking in tongues is a practice where someone empties their mind and speaks gibberish. This practice is usually done in prayer, or perhaps a church service. Such a practice is obviously completely foreign to Scripture.

Quick history lesson: the entire Pentecostal "branch" if you will came about after the Azusa Street Revival in the early 20th century. How did it begin? Someone spoke in tongues after praying to receive the same gift spoken about in Acts. So, just so we're straight, speaking in tongues is not something done in "extreme parts of the Pentecostal movement;" it is one of the main unique characteristics of Pentecostals.

Also, I have never heard anyone instructed to "empty their mind" to speak in tongues. And having visited Pentecostal, Charismatic, and third wave churches, I'd say its pretty standard that such a thing is not taught.

Lastly, speaking in tongues is not at all foreign to Scripture, as you yourself go on to point out in your next paragraph. Acts is filled with examples of the Apostles speaking in tongues.

Speaking in tongues, as explained in Scripture, is quite different. In Acts 2:1-13, for instance, when the apostles "spoke in tongues," the miraculous gift enabled the apostles to speak and have the crowds hear their voice in their own specific language.

As Hailey said above, this is considered part of speaking in tongues.

There are a few different views on whether speaking in tongues exists today. I would certainly be an advocate of the view that the gift of speaking in tongues was present only in the first century. Just like the apostles having the ability to heal people of sickness (for example, Peter with his shadow Acts 5:15), so too speaking in tongues was a temporary gift of the first century that afterwards disappeared. I believe that 1 Corinthians 13:8 can be used to support this view (by the way, the view that the gift of tongues has ceased is called "Cessationism").

So you don't think God can heal people today? Boy oh boy do we have some theological differences. Fun fact: Did you know that the view that speaking in tongues ended "with the Apostles" was made popular by a book in the 1910's as a reaction to Pentecostalism? It wasn't a major view before that time.

As to 1 Corinthians 3:8, how 'bout we view that in context. 3:8-10 states (KJV)

8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Here's the NIV:

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.

When the perfect is come...when completeness comes...this sounds like a reference to Christ's return, does it not?

There are those who believe that the gift of tongues has not ceased today. I do not agree with this view. Not only do I not agree because of Scriptural reasons, but the evidence that tongues have continued into today seems to be lacking. It seems that if people really could speak in tongues as the apostles did, those people would all be on the mission field, helping all these missionaries who are giving up their lives to reach an unreached people group by learning their language and translating the Bible into their language.

The evidence is lacking!?! Simply because you attend a cessationist church (I assume) and you don't see evidence for speaking in tongues, healing, etc. does not mean it isn't happening. Why not go to a Pentecostal, Charismatic, or third wave church and ask them if they have had anyone healed? I think you'd be surprised at the amount of testimonies and in some cases, medically verified miracles that have taken place.

Also, simply because someone has the gift of speaking in tongues doesn't mean they know what earthly language they are speaking.

Note that Paul says a lot about tongues in his letter to the Corinthians. It is important to be familiar with the letter as a whole because many of Paul's comments regarding speaking in tongues are sarcastic-- and if you read those verses out of context you will likely end up misinterpreting them.

Any evidence/support that Paul was being sarcastic? You would think someone like Paul would be taking his letters very seriously, considering he address division in Corinth, sexual immorality, marriage, idols, honor and respect in worship, and the concept of love all before he ever reaches tongues and prophecy. You truly think Paul's tone shifted with just that particular section and he was sarcastic all of a sudden? Or do you think he was sarcastic in the previous passage, 1 Corinthians 13 where he defines love?

Also, read 1 Corinthians 14:1 (NLT): "Let love be your highest goal, but also desire, the special abilities the Spirit gives, especially the gift of prophecy."

I'm going to assume you agree with 1Timothy, where we are told the Scriptures are "God-breathed." If that is so, why would God have Paul state to desire gifts that would soon end, for that statement to be read for generation after generation that would not be able to have access to those gifts. What reasoning do you think God would use to end the gift of healing, for example. Do we not still need healing, both physically, mentally, and spiritually in our time? What about the demonic and those who are being harassed by evil spirits. What would you do for such a person if the gifts are no longer available? Did God decide that only the 1st century really needed such gifting and authority? Are we really that much better off than the 1st century spiritually that the gifts just weren't needed?

I've gone on a pretty long rant, but suffice it to say that I whole-heartedly disagree with the doctrine of cessationism.

Tongues, Speaking in

Definition: A special ability given through the holy spirit to some disciples in the early Christian congregation that enabled them to preach or otherwise glorify God in a language other than their own.

Does the Bible say that all who would have God’s spirit would “speak in tongues”?

1 Cor. 12:13,*30: “Truly by one spirit we were all baptized into one body .*.*. Not all have gifts of healings, do they? Not all speak in tongues, do they?” (Also 1*Corinthians 14:26)

1 Cor. 14:5: “Now I would like for all of you to speak in tongues, but I prefer that you prophesy. Indeed, he that prophesies is greater than he that speaks in tongues, unless, in fact, he translates, that the congregation may receive upbuilding.”

Does ecstatic speech in a language that a person never learned prove that he has holy spirit?

Can the ability to “speak in tongues” come from a source other than the true God?

1 John 4:1: “Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression [“every spirit,” KJ, RS], but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God.” (See also Matthew 7:21-23; 2*Corinthians 11:14,*15.)

Among those ‘speaking in tongues’ today are Pentecostals and Baptists, also Roman Catholics, Episcopalians, Methodists, Lutherans, and Presbyterians. Jesus said that the holy spirit would ‘guide his disciples into all the truth.’ (John 16:13) Do the members of each of these religions believe that the others who also “speak in tongues” have been guided into “all the truth”? How could that be, since they are not all in agreement? What spirit is making it possible for them to “speak in tongues”?

A joint statement by the Fountain Trust and the Church of England Evangelical Council admitted: “We are also aware that a similar phenomenon can occur under occult/demonic influence.” (Gospel and Spirit, April 1977, published by the Fountain Trust and the Church of England Evangelical Council, p.*12) The book Religious Movements in Contemporary America (edited by Irving I.*Zaretsky and Mark P.*Leone, quoting L. P. Gerlach) reports that in Haiti ‘speaking in tongues’ is characteristic of both Pentecostal and Voodoo religions.—(Princeton,*N.J.; 1974), p.*693; see also 2*Thessalonians 2:9,*10.

Is the ‘speaking in tongues’ that is done today the same as that done by first-century Christians?

In the first century, the miraculous gifts of the spirit, including the ability to “speak in tongues,” verified that God’s favor had shifted from the Jewish system of worship to the newly established Christian congregation. (Heb. 2:2-4) Since that objective was accomplished in the first century, is it necessary to prove the same thing again and again in our day?

In the first century, the ability to “speak in tongues” gave impetus to the international work of witnessing that Jesus had commissioned his followers to do. (Acts 1:8; 2:1-11; Matt. 28:19) Is that how those who “speak in tongues” use that ability today?

In the first century, when Christians ‘spoke in tongues,’ what they said had meaning to people who knew those languages. (Acts 2:4,*8) Today, is it not true that ‘speaking in tongues’ usually involves an ecstatic outburst of unintelligible sounds?

In the first century, the Bible shows, congregations were to limit the ‘speaking in tongues’ to two or three persons who might do that at any given meeting; they were to do it “each in turn,” and if there was no interpreter present they were to keep silent. (1*Cor. 14:27,*28, RS) Is that what is being done today?

Might the holy spirit be directing charismatics into practices that reach beyond what is found in the Scriptures?

2 Tim. 3:16,*17: “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.” (If someone claims to have an inspired message that conflicts with revelations made by God’s spirit through Jesus and his apostles, could it possibly be from the same source?)

Gal. 1:8: “Even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to you as good news something beyond [“at variance with,” NE] what we declared to you as good news, let him be accursed.”

Does the way of life of members of organizations that look with favor on ‘speaking in tongues’ give evidence that they have God’s spirit?

As a group do they outstandingly manifest such fruits of the spirit as mildness and self-control? Are these qualities readily evident to persons who attend their meetings for worship?—Gal. 5:22,*23.

Are they truly “no part of the world”? Because of this do they give full devotion to the Kingdom of God or are they involved in the world’s political affairs? Have they remained clean of bloodguilt during wartime? As a group do they have a fine reputation because of avoiding the world’s immoral conduct?—John 17:16; Isa. 2:4; 1*Thess. 4:3-8.

Are true Christians today identified by the ability to “speak in tongues”?

John 13:35: “By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”

1 Cor. 13:1,*8: “If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels but do not have love, I have become a sounding piece of brass or a clashing cymbal. Love never fails. But whether there are gifts of prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are tongues, they will cease.”

Jesus said that holy spirit would come upon his followers and that they would be witnesses of him to the most distant part of the earth. (Acts 1:8) He instructed them to “make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matt. 28:19) He also foretold that ‘this good news of the kingdom would be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all nations.’ (Matt. 24:14) Who today, both as a group and individually, are doing this work? In harmony with what Jesus said, should we not look for this as an evidence that a group has holy spirit?

Speaking in Tongues is a gift from God delivered by Holy Spirit. It means that God is talking to the midst of is people and there something that God wants them to know. Speaking in Tongues is often speak by other languages and translated by your medium language. This often happens to our church.