Sign in to follow this  
xMcKenziiie

I Need Help Regarding Reading!!

Hey CTF. I have a problem that started small but now it really bothers me, and gets me VERY frustrated.

I love reading the bible, but I also HATE reading the bible b/c I feel so lost on what to read. Whenever I open the book to read I'm excited, but then as minutes go by, I always get stuck. I NEVER know where to start reading. I just flip through frantically looking for something, anything, and I often get mad and upset b/c after a while I'll just pick something random and get absolutely nothing out of it. It gets me really frustrated and makes me feel like I can't read without getting mad. I don't like trying to read and always feeling mad by the end of it, not to mention knowing I got nothing out of it.

So, how do you all know where God is telling you to focus? Because although I ask Him to show me, I feel like I never get an answer. And I don't want to develop a dislike for reading the bible....if I haven't already. I need help...

I have a few recommendations which you will hopefully find helpful.

(1) Lots of people like to read a chapter in Proverbs everyday. Since Proverbs is 31 chapters long, just take the date of the month and read that chapter. For instance, today is October 13th, so you would read the 13th chapter in Proverbs today. Tomorrow is October 14th, so you would read the 14th chapter in Proverbs.

(2) A few books (such as Proverbs and the Psalms) do not necessarily need to be read in order. However, for most books, you should start reading in the first chapter of the book and continue reading until the last chapter of the book. This will help you follow the overall theme and argument within the book you are reading.

(3) I highly recommend this: read the Bible with repetition.. For instance, try reading the book of 1 John once a day for the next thirty days. I did this a while ago and I found it quite effective. If you do the reading prayerfully in order to grow in Christ, you will not grow bored reading the same thing. Instead, you will love the book more and more everyday.

(4) Read Psalm 1 everyday until you memorize, and then continue meditating upon it. It will likely change your life!

Let me know if you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Also, for a few years I was following a schedule to read through the Bible in a year. I would recommend doing this for the OT, and I would recommend doing this for the NT at least once. However, after reading straight through the NT once, I would recommend reading through the NT with repetition (as I explained in point 3). For instance, you could read the first 7 chapters of Matthew everyday for 14 days, and then read the next 7 chapters of Matthew for 14 days. It will take you a few years to get through reading the NT like that, but you will retain a lot more.

And lastly, I would recommend downloading the English Standard Version Audio Drama New Testament. It's helpful for those times when you don't feel like reading, but do feel like hearing! You can download it free at this site below:

http://www.faithcomesbyhearing.com/

Thank you so much! I'm gonna hop to it first thing in the morning and I'm gonna read w/ a pure heart, b/c I read that's important lol thanks for sharing the wisdom!! :D

That's great :).

You know how the bible is divided into Old Testament and New Testament?

Try starting from either one and read the books inside them in order until you reach the end of that testament.

Are devotionals books good for knowing or figuring out how and where to read the bible? I actually have an "x-treme teen bible" and its really helpful about where to read and what is it about.

Devotionals? As far as I know, devotionals are for chuch services, singing, reading the bible a bit, etc. Not really aimed at helping you study.

I would tell you to read a simpler version of the bible. Say New King James version.

Are devotionals books good for knowing or figuring out how and where to read the bible? I actually have an "x-treme teen bible" and its really helpful about where to read and what is it about.

If you're really interested in reading the Bible and understanding, in addition to everything I said in the previous post, I would recommend purchasing the MacArthur Study Bible. If you're not interested in that one, you could also look at the ESV Study Bible.

Devotionals can be good or bad, it really just depends on the author. Definitely never let devotionals become a substitute for simply reading pure Scripture.

I've struggled with reading the Bible at times too. I find it helpful to remember that when you're reading your Bible, you're reading God's Word.... and that time you spend should be a conversation with God. So you talk to God, and then hear what He has to say (through reading His Word).... I hope that makes sense :)

I usually start by reading a chapter of Proverbs or a Psalm.... to remind of God's infinite glory and wisdom, then pray for His Spirit to guide me through the reading of His Word.

Then, depending what I'm going through, or what I'm working on, I'll read a bit of the Bible, and then pray about it and see where I can apply it to my life.

I also use devotional books, and commentaries, especially with passages that I find hard to understand. There are a lot of people out there who know the Bible waaaaay better than me, and I am quite happy to take advantage of that instead of confusing myself by my own interpretations. :]

Happy reading anyways!! Its great to hear of someone who is actually keen to read their Bible, keep it up :D

I dont know where you are in your bible reading and so on, but always start on chapter 1 and work your way through there. Start in the gospels. Nobody will ever finish with the gospels. Jesus has so much to teach us in the gospels. We must never lose focus on the gospel. When you have been in the gospels for a while, move over to the apostles letters. Start with Romans etc. Read 4-5 chapters when you start then chew on what you have read. Before you start reading, Pray The Holy Spirit to give you revelation of the scripture. This is an example of what i would have done. I'm not saying that you shall lose focus on the rest of the bible. The whole bible is the Word of God. I belive that The Spirit of God will guide you.

:)

:)