Sign in to follow this  
TheMewster

Heyy... Some issues

I'm a little new here. I have some questions, and this seems like the place to ask it. I would put this in Ask a Christian, but I'm already a Christian, so...

Matthew 16:24.

1. What do we need to deny? Self-denial for the sake of it or denying what gets in the way of Jesus?

2. Taking up the cross is taking up the work of the Lord and/or crucifying the flesh, right? Though it could help that I got up less than an hour ago, I don't know.

1 John 2:15. Also, James 4:4 is fitting here too.

1. What is friendship with the world? And what does it mean not to love the world? I used to love some things in the world and I definitely loved the Father! (I mean, sure, it was likely from the joy of new-found faith, but still!) I have never truly gotten this verse.:sad:

1 John 3:3-10. Does this mean that true Christians cannot sin? I know I sin regularly, so now I'm wondering if I'm saved. I also see Christians sinning regularly. Now I'm wondering if anyone is/can be saved. Sorry if that's breaking the rules, I toned myself down a little there to avoid questioning anyone's salvation other than mine.

That's all I got now. I would ask these questions on another forum I go to, but I'm afraid I'd get a strike for spamming the board, since I got a warning about that. :sad: I know I worded these so unclearly, but I'm just pouring out a little of my heart here on this forum. God bless and thanks so much.

I'm a little new here. I have some questions, and this seems like the place to ask it. I would put this in Ask a Christian, but I'm already a Christian, so...

Matthew 16:24.

1. What do we need to deny? Self-denial for the sake of it or denying what gets in the way of Jesus?

Well, we need to deny ourselves for the sake of Christ. I think the next two verses clarify the meaning of Matthew 16:24:

For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul? (Matthew 16:25-26)

Denying ourselves means that we are not seeking after earthly gain. We are not seeking after the momentary, but fleeting pleasures of sin. It means that we are not boasting in ourselves and our own accomplishments. Instead, it means that we are boasting in God alone and recognizing that we can do nothing apart from Him.

2. Taking up the cross is taking up the work of the Lord and/or crucifying the flesh, right? Though it could help that I got up less than an hour ago, I don't know.

In context of the passage, it would refer to being willing to give up your life for the sake of Christ. Jesus is literally saying to pick up your death for His sake-- because it is through picking up your death that you will find life.

1 John 2:15. Also, James 4:4 is fitting here too.

1. What is friendship with the world? And what does it mean not to love the world? I used to love some things in the world and I definitely loved the Father! (I mean, sure, it was likely from the joy of new-found faith, but still!) I have never truly gotten this verse.:sad:

Regarding the James 4:4 verse, take a look at the previous three verses. There James outlines the many practices that would be considered "friendship with the world". The practices in James 4:1-3 include: fighting, murder, coveting, and adultery.

Regarding the 1 John 2:15, notice that John defines in the next verse what he means by the world. What is in the world? The lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, and pride.

So, in the context of these verses, the world is defined as all the fleeting sinful components of this fallen world. Obviously, these passages are not labeling everything that is in the world as inherently evil. There are many good things in this world that can be enjoyed as long as they are done for God's glory (Whatever you do, whether you eat or drink, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31).

1 John 3:3-10. Does this mean that true Christians cannot sin? I know I sin regularly, so now I'm wondering if I'm saved. I also see Christians sinning regularly. Now I'm wondering if anyone is/can be saved. Sorry if that's breaking the rules, I toned myself down a little there to avoid questioning anyone's salvation other than mine.

Notice that John is talking about an overall lifestyle in these verses. Both the NASB and the ESV use the word "practice" throughout 1 John 3:3-10. John is basically saying, is the overall pattern of your life one in which you are growing in holiness? Is sin the defining characteristic of your life? Or is your love for Christ the defining characteristic of your life? Notice that John has already clearly pointed out in 1 John 2:1-2 that Christians do sin-- and when Christians do sin, they have an Advocate! (Praise God for that :) )

I know. Thing is, the original word was 'hamartia' and I do not recall finding a word for 'practice sin' in there on BLB's concordance, just the usual word for 'sin.' Makes a contradiction. I hate those. Thanks, that helped a lot.