Sign in to follow this  
PuRe

Concept Art - For games and books and what not....

Heya, so I have been wondering..

How do artists do the concept art "for games, books and what not"... xD

Example :7.jpg

I really want to draw/paint stuff like this (I really hope its not painting, because I SUCK at it :D), but I am not sure how it is done. What programs do they use if any?

All I can do is draw cartoony things :D (mostly a dinosaur, or a hippo...)

Well, for vidya games and stuff, they use CGI and animation. It's all usually on computers now... I'll be surprised if Disney is still hand-drawing their cartoons. ._.

Oh they're drawn and painted traditionally (: good old fashioned paper. But yeah, a lot of times they do use programs, and really it just depends on what program the artist prefers. Do a bit of looking on the internet. I have Autodesk Sketchbook Pro, which is basically what it sounds like. It's pretty cool, you might wanna try it out. There's also Corel Painter, but I've never tried it. Err, I think you can use Photoshop for digital drawing too. Might be wrong on that though. Anyway, like I said, do some looking around, read up on the different programs out there, and try 'em out. Normally they have free trials. That way you can try them, see what you like, and then maybe buy one. Hope this helped.

So what makes you interested in concept art? o: Just curious.

Well, for vidya games and stuff, they use CGI and animation. It's all usually on computers now... I'll be surprised if Disney is still hand-drawing their cartoons. ._.

I'm sure they still do, but just cover it up with CGI afterwards. If I'm wrong, then that's kind of sad. I mean I don't have anything thing against digital art. I love it. But has everyone forgotten about the traditional days when animations were two-dimensional? Because they should bring them back, and I would like it if Disney did so.

But has everyone forgotten about the traditional days when animations were two-dimensional? Because they should bring them back, and I would like it if Disney did so.

You and I both.

Thanks guys... I guess my career as a concept artist was brought to an abrupt stop :|

Thanks guys... I guess my career as a concept artist was brought to an abrupt stop :|

Don't say that! You can do ANYTHING, you have to just believe in yourself!!!! :D

Listen to this kid, he's an hero! <3