Sign in to follow this  
tatty00

Calling Canadians

After my little voyage around North America, I just fell in love with Canada.

So I am planning on applying for a work visa and making the trek.

Now I know Vancouver is already flooded with Australians, and I'd love to live somewhere a bit more west. Personally if I could find work in Quebec, I'd be happy with that, but my French is terrible on a good day.

Recommendations? What is the job market like?

West? Don't you mean East?

And Quebec is lovely. It's actually a very English oriented town. I mean, granted, it's still *very* French and it's what a lot of the people there speak, but most everything is also in English, also. I wouldn't see it as a problem, honestly. The weather, the sites, very beautiful.

West? Don't you mean East?

And Quebec is lovely. It's actually a very English oriented town. I mean' date=' granted, it's still *very* French and it's what a lot of the people there speak, but most everything is also in English, also. I wouldn't see it as a problem, honestly. The weather, the sites, very beautiful.[/quote']

East*. My typoz.

I just simply cannot find a job as a non French speaker in Montreal. Especially nothing in hospitality. Or with relatively decent money. I was considering Winnipeg, but I never bothered to check it out whilst I was there.

East*. My typoz.

I just simply cannot find a job as a non French speaker in Montreal. Especially nothing in hospitality. Or with relatively decent money. I was considering Winnipeg, but I never bothered to check it out whilst I was there.

Do you like Hockey?

No. I love it.

Ah, so I suppose you know about the Jets returning? If you want some excitement this year, and I'm sure for years to come, that's a great place to be right now.

Not sure how the economy is there though, last I heard it's not so good. Southern Ontario did well during the recession, Canadians are quite proud of how we handled the whole situation. There are plenty of opportunities in Southern Ontario so if your looking for a job and being able to live within your means it's probably the best place to be. No doubt NB and anything East of that is full of beauty, but again I'm not really an expert on the economy and how the job situation is outside of Ontario.

What sort of job are you looking for? I know Montreal is a very English French place, not like QC.

More west than Vancouver? At that point, your in the ocean.

If you want to make money, then Calgary is your best bet. Also, we have the best hockey team.

If you want to make money, then Calgary is your best bet. Also, we have the best hockey team.

You can quote me on this but isn't Calgary quite a bit expensive? I suppose the money people make out there offsets the cost of living.

And how are Stajan and Hagman doin for ya? Bwahahahahhhhaaha

The English in Montreal is there, but it depends highly on where you go. Where I was staying was traditional and struggled with English, in fact only tourist destinations find perfect English. And hospitality. The job market for English non bilingual people is tough, where I'd be stuck in box packing.

I essentially would like hospitality work, it's what I'm best with, or as a mechanic.

I did want to stick to major cities as well.

I was considering Winnipeg, but I never bothered to check it out whilst I was there.

Err... you're from Australia? Methinks you'd not appreciate the winters in Winnipeg. Honestly, you've no idea. ._. And as for the economy... last I heard, they weren't doing so well.

I personally ADORE Ottawa. English speaking, but if you are looking for a bit of French culture, you can simply hop across the river. The nightlife is good, there is tons to do, and I dunno EXACTLY what the job situation is there, but I would assume in your field that it wouldn't be hard to find a job.

Oh, and I must put in a good word for my beloved TO. No place better. <333

Err... you're from Australia? Methinks you'd not appreciate the winters in Winnipeg. Honestly, you've no idea. ._. And as for the economy... last I heard, they weren't doing so well.

I personally ADORE Ottawa. English speaking, but if you are looking for a bit of French culture, you can simply hop across the river. The nightlife is good, there is tons to do, and I dunno EXACTLY what the job situation is there, but I would assume in your field that it wouldn't be hard to find a job.

Oh, and I must put in a good word for my beloved TO. No place better. <333

I was going to say the same thing about Winnipegs weather, it gets super cold. I can't think of a better place to be for Hockey right now though, even though the Jets are kinda meh so far this year.

And yeah, TO is the best place to be, go there.

TO being Toronto?

I doubt I'd move to Winnipeg purely for the Jets, besides, I'm a Canadien's fan...

My next question would be, what is Christianity like there? Obviously Canada is a lot more accepting of all people (sexual orientation, drugs, faiths etc), so how does being a Christian play a role over there?

TO being Toronto?

I doubt I'd move to Winnipeg purely for the Jets, besides, I'm a Canadien's fan...

My next question would be, what is Christianity like there? Obviously Canada is a lot more accepting of all people (sexual orientation, drugs, faiths etc), so how does being a Christian play a role over there?

Yeah, TO is Toronto. Really big city, it's one of those cities where unless you live in NYC, everywhere you go you're amazed at the pure size of everything. I'm not sure about where you're from but if you live in alot of states in the U.S and conform to a group you usually don't have to worry about discrimination for being a Christian because everyone conforms to that branch of Christianity. In Toronto as you say people are very open about being homosexual and very open to being apart of a certain Faith, but with that brings politics. I find because everyone is so different you are more likely to have to defend and support what you believe in when challenged, but rarely face discrimination.

Toronto and to a lesser extent Southern Ontario is massive and has many Churches and many faiths. So finding a Church would be no problem if that is your concern.

Toronto has what was the tallest freestanding structure until 2007, "The CN Tower." They play host to the Jays who are easily affordable, the Raptors who don't break the bank either, and the Leafs who you'll never get to see unless you're rich. Canada's wonderland is amazing if you like theme parks, and season passes are easily affordable especially if you buy one for the summer in November-March. It's expensive to live in Toronto though, alot of people who work in Toronto work in the GTA but not directly in the city.

No so much about finding a Church, but simply how outward people are about their personal faith and how much discrimination secular society places on the Church.

Well my home city is 4.5 million people, so I doubt I would be overwhelmed with Toronto's size (2 or 3 million?). Besides, I hated NYC.

My main goal of heading further east is because, well, Vancouver is essentially taken over by Australians, and the last thing I would really want is to be stuck in another home of Australia.

What is uni's like over that way? What uni's are worth looking into to study at?

I am from Winnipeg! :) For the most part it is a great city to live in. We have some of the friendliest people in Canada, there is a ton of new infrastructure (new Football stadium incoming and and new airport terminal) and we of course have the Winnipeg Jets again!

Although it does have it's downsides (like every city of course). The crime rate is pretty high (though its only in certain areas of the city) and the winters are pretty darn cold. But the summers are really hot.

It's also a lot smaller then your home city. About 700,000 people. As for the job market, it's actually one of the best in Canada right now. And house prices are a lot cheaper then any other major city.

As for other cities, I LOVE Toronto. They have EVERYTHING. And it's so nice. But personally it's too big for me (2.5 million in the actually city, but with all of the suburbs it's almost 6 million, and then the whole of Southern Ontario is 12 million people :o). It's a great place to travel though. I also really like going to Calgary and Edmonton. Both very nice cities, but quite expensive I think.

Well my home city has a population of 4.5-5 million people, so I'm used to it, however I do want to downgrade a bit to something smaller.

How is the crime rate high? And what kind of jobs are out there? And what age bracket is the job market aimed towards?

(sorry for the spelling, Just woke up from a nap and Need COFFEE)

I would say Calgary, The winters can be hard, But we do hav chooke's which turns it to T shirt weather... Or I would suggest Regina, It has been starting up on the highest job search (employers looking for people). I haven't lived there yet. Now for churches in Calgary, They do have a mass of Churchs, It all depends on what type of church your looking for. Also what type of lanugage. There's Musliums, Cathloics, Baptist, Allience, etc etc... great hockey team.... They also have one of the biggest Rodeos in Canada (Called the stampede). The Crime rate I would have to double check on. Not to sure about it. If we know what type of job your looking into, It might help

So again, another question for the older Canadian kids.

I have a few universities to choose from, these are in the Toronto area:

Brock University

Ryerson University

Queens' University

University of Guelph

Which of these are good? What's some to steer clear of? These are my only options for student exchange in Toronto.

Otherwise I can study at:

University of Saskatchewan

Thompson Rivers University

But I'd like to go over east. And I want to start practicing French, whilst I'm at it.

So again, another question for the older Canadian kids.

I have a few universities to choose from, these are in the Toronto area:

Brock University

Ryerson University

Queens' University

University of Guelph

Which of these are good? What's some to steer clear of? These are my only options for student exchange in Toronto.

Otherwise I can study at:

University of Saskatchewan

Thompson Rivers University

But I'd like to go over east. And I want to start practicing French, whilst I'm at it.

Queen's and Ryerson are good. UofT, McGill, and McMaster are also very good, too.

Queen's and Ryerson are good. UofT, McGill, and McMaster are also very good, too.

Unfortunately I can only choose between the universities listed. Anything outside of that and I have to pay international fees, and fund my own travelling, visa and living costs. By choosing one of these, I get 5,000 for flights and spending, plus 500$ a fortnight for living, plus they organize everything for me. So... yeah... Otherwise, I would of chosen the university in Montreal.

What is Queen's and Ryerson known for in regards to quality of education, standard and representation? What is so bad about Brock and UoG?

U of G ftw!! :o My sister goes there. :P But I don't know much about the quality of education. I this k its supposed to be a good school, its just not well known.

What is Queen's and Ryerson known for in regards to quality of education, standard and representation? What is so bad about Brock and UoG?

Brock isn't bad at all! It gets good reviews for quality of teaching, quality of education, and class size. Brock has a wide range of programs and professional degrees. Same with Ryerson... Guelph? Uh, that university is just lesser known to me. I don't hear much about Guelph but I think it's a good comprehensive university.

You usually see McGill University, Queen's University, University of Waterloo, York University, McMaster University and University of Western Ontario on the top of the rankings. In the end, I personally think rankings don't really mean anything. They're mostly based on national awards won by the students that go there, the size of their libraries, student-faculty ratio, finances, surveys (students will always speak well of their university just because they are earning their degree there. Y'know. School pride.)

And you should read this for rankings of everything campus-related---> http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/partners/free/cur_2010/cur_ezine2011.html