Sign in to follow this  
rupella

Pat Robertson: "GOP Base is too extreme"

That's because Ron Paul is a Paleoconservative, who actually believes what he says about small government. He's a libertarian basically.

Stange how classical liberals and paleoconservatives are very similar politically, but neoconservatives and neoliberals are poles apart...

Well, Ron Paul is a radical in an objective, political sense. I am a social democrat, so I am a radical in the U.S., but a moderate leftist to the rest of the world. The bottom line is that America is a very right-wing nation, so we do not view libertarianism as radical. Yet, libertarianism is essentially as radical as Communism. It is sort of its mirror image.

Stange how classical liberals and paleoconservatives are very similar politically, but neoconservatives and neoliberals are poles apart...
I am not so sure you know what neoconservatism and neoliberalism are. I do not want to sound arrogant, but I will be applying for a masters in political science in a couple of weeks (prayers appreciated). So, politics is kind of my thing. Why don't you explain what you think neoliberalism and neoconservatism are, and why you think the two are disparate?

Well, Ron Paul is a radical in an objective, political sense. I am a social democrat, so I am a radical in the U.S., but a moderate leftist to the rest of the world. The bottom line is that America is a very right-wing nation, so we do not view libertarianism as radical. Yet, libertarianism is essentially as radical as Communism. It is sort of its mirror image.

Ron Paul is "radical" in the sense that he's very anti-establishment, but the policies he endorses are actually very modest. He said something like "What's radical is trillions of dollars in debt, and troops in 900 bases in 150 different countries." (that was some major paraphrasing) But the point is that Ron Paul is the only one who is not radical, and that's what makes him radical.