Sign in to follow this  
Eloise

Stupid question but...

Hey guys! Well I know this might sound stupid for someone who's been a Christian for 5 years but I'm going to ask it anyway! How are you movitated to read the Bible? I know it sounds ridiculous, I mean I do read the Bible and stuff but not as often as I should and when i do, I have no idea how to start or anything, like what passage etc. I was just wondering how you guys were motivated and if you had any advice? Thanks (:

Hey, don't feel bad about it! I've been a Christian for just as long and I have the same problem. Generally I feel more motivated at night to read the Bible, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, what I normally do, ( typically about 30 minutes to an hour before I go to bed) is dim the lights in my room and then turn some music on and start singing. I start with rock or pop (always Christian music though) and gradually make my way down to worship. I try to sing most of every song, and somehow afterwards I feel really close to God and I really WANT to read the Bible.

Sounds odd, but it works for me!!

Read James, then 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2, 3, then Romans if you want a good start.

If you're looking to start at a Gospel I would reccomend Matthew after skipping the names or Luke.

I find reading James through to Peter and Romans keeps my interest because of the great passages within.

Find a Bible reading plan - there's tons of them out there. There are some as short as one or two weeks, and some that last as long as two years. There's a variety of topics, whether you want to go through the Bible chronologically, find a specific topic, or anything else. It's also a good thing to get an accountability partner who's doing the same plan with you so that you're both assured to do it.

Put your Bible on the bed side table. Do not turn off your bedside light until you've read at least 1 chapter before you sleep.

dont feel bad :) its not a stupid question its a really good question .... what i do is make it into a challenge like trying to read as many pages a night as you can or another good thing to do is to set goals this can help with motivation ... my youth pastor tells us to before we start to read ask god for guadiance and to show you the words that you need to hear and ask for the words to sink in to your heart and tear it to shreds .... another idea is find a reading a good reading plan http://www.youversion.com/ theres a bunch of great ones on that sightit also is a helpful sight because it has sidenotes and theres a option where you can compare to versions of the bible at the same time ... good luck with your bible reading and i pray that its used to glorify him

:thumbsup::hug:

I'm doing what Jebbrook said, I just really recently started a daily bible reading plan... check it out, http://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-reading-plan/read.aspx

also before I started it I really asked God to help open up my heart to hear and learn His word. also ask God to help you want to willingly read/learn the bible daily, for discipline. pray each time before you start reading so that God can reveal what it is that He wants to show you and if you ever struggle just ask God for that discipline to further study His word! hope this helps!

I don't think Christians need to be all that motivated to read the Bible. We should be motivated to love and compassion and acts of justice rather than reading books.

I don't think Christians need to be all that motivated to read the Bible. We should be motivated to love and compassion and acts of justice rather than reading books.

And where do we learn of love, compassion, justice and all things nice? The Bible.

And where do we learn of love, compassion, justice and all things nice? The Bible.

Partly. And that's the case because of course the Bible was authored by human beings. Love, compassion and justice are things which are hard-wired into our souls. Christians have a rich tradition of these things sourced from a lot more than just the Bible. We are taught it from various other sources including our liturgical prayers, the lives of the saints, and the life of the Church. All of these things represent revelations of God and the most definitive is that of Christ. Christians have gone millennia without reading the Scriptures and have experienced the full presence of Christ - mass literacy levels don't have anything to do with ones spiritual condition. While literacy may be a good thing, if your understanding of what it means to be Christian is reduced to being able to read a book then you've got a very different understanding of what Christianity is from what the New Testament teaches.

I really struggle with this too Eloise! I think it's a matter of just begging God for a thirst for His Word. David said in Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God."

Partly. And that's the case because of course the Bible was authored by human beings. Love, compassion and justice are things which are hard-wired into our souls. Christians have a rich tradition of these things sourced from a lot more than just the Bible. We are taught it from various other sources including our liturgical prayers, the lives of the saints, and the life of the Church. All of these things represent revelations of God and the most definitive is that of Christ. Christians have gone millennia without reading the Scriptures and have experienced the full presence of Christ - mass literacy levels don't have anything to do with ones spiritual condition. While literacy may be a good thing, if your understanding of what it means to be Christian is reduced to being able to read a book then you've got a very different understanding of what Christianity is from what the New Testament teaches.

Alan, just because the bible had not been read by Christians for an extended period of time, doesn't mean it wasn't read to Christians. The prayers and wording of the liturgy is taken almost exclusively from Scripture and Scripture is read and explained to the people during a mass. It is silly to say that living life is greater than reading Scripture. Scripture is edifying, and those who can read it should.

scriptures are really important to read, but for me I'm not in a season where I am reading a lot, but I am growing still so fast and so much. The Holy Spirit sometimes wants us to put to practice even one line from scripture.