Madame Captain

A Question for Christian...

Would you?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would you?

• Yes
    • No
    • I really don't know...

If you knew you were going to hell, would you still worship God as much as you do now?

None of this "I'm so loved, I'm not going to hell" blah blah. Just answer the question.

Guest JAG

Absolutely. We worship God because of who He is. Before C.S. Lewis became a Christian, and he was in that intermediary phase between atheist and Christian as a theist, he wrote this:

My conversion involved as yet no belief in a future life. I now number it among my greatest mercies that I was permitted for several months, perhaps for a year, to know God and to attempt obedience without even raising the question. My training was like that of the Jews, to whom He revealed Himself centuries before there wasn't a whisper of anything better (or worse) beyond the grave than shadowy and featureless Sheol. And I did not dream even of that. There are men, far better men that I, who have made immortality almost the central doctrine of their religion; but for my own part I have never seen how a preoccupation with that subject at the outset could fail to corrupt the whole thing.

I had been brought up to believe that goodness was goodness only if it were disinterested, and that any hope of reward or fear or punishment contaminated the will. If I was wrong in this my error was most tenderly allowed for. I was afraid that threats or promises would demoralize me; no threats or promises were made. The commands were inexorable, but they were backed by no 'sanctions.'

God was to be obeyed simply because he was God. Long since, through the gods of Asgard, and later through the notion of the Absolute, He had taught me how a thing can be revered not for what it can do to us but for what it is in itself. That is why, though it was a terror, it was no surprise to learn that God is to be obeyed because of what He is in Himself. If you ask why we should obey God, in the last resort the answer is, 'I am." To know God is to know that our obedience is due to Him. In His nature His sovereignty de jure is revealed.

Guest JAG
Why did I know you would quote C.S. Lewis?

1) I love his work, and this is very well known to all :P

2) He's smarter, and more eloquent, than I.

The question itself is irrational (not that the question isn't legitimate). It assumes that I understand my state, that I will spend an eternity away from God, and still acknowledge Him as God and worship him accordingly with that knowledge. The obvious answer to the question is that man isn't knowingly unsaved or conscious of his non-salvation yet has the ability to worship God. In Acts 17 Paul paints the perfect picture of pagans worshiping a God whom they were ignorant of; that is what they called "the unknown God". They didn't know who this God was and had no knowledge of His saving grace let alone heaven or hell in the Biblical context to which Paul says "Therefore, the One whom you worship without knowing, Him I proclaim to you".

So, short answer, I don't think it's possible.

Would God be the same God if there was no chance of salvation?

Unless you're asking in terms of very personal salvation. If every other Christian could still follow the path away from Hell but I personally had been damned, I really don't know what I would do. Probably become very angry and defy God in as many ways as possible. Because that's the way humans react. Like a child throwing a temper tantrum because they don't agree with their parent.

I don't think its possible either, because the question isn't would you worship God if there was no guarantee of reward, the question is would you worship God if you knew you were going to Hell. So worshiping God under that pretense would basically mean you are trying to build a relationship with a God who not only does not want to build a relationship with you (and if He doesn't want you to, can you attempt to worship and have a relationship to begin with?) but completely cut you off from him for eternity regardless of your worship. So it is irrational in the sense that this is not what we as Christians understand God to be.

I don't think its possible either, because the question isn't would you worship God if there was no guarantee of reward, the question is would you worship God if you knew you were going to Hell. So worshiping God under that pretense would basically mean you are trying to build a relationship with a God who not only does not want to build a relationship with you (and if He doesn't want you to, can you attempt to worship and have a relationship to begin with?) but completely cut you off from him for eternity regardless of your worship. So it is irrational in the sense that this is not what we as Christians understand God to be.

Exactly. Worship is something that draws us closer to God. If God did not want us to draw closer, what would be the point of worship?

I don't know if I worship God even now, but if I knew I was going to hell I certainly wouldn't be hanging around churches singing songs or what have you.

Would God be the same God if there was no chance of salvation?

Unless you're asking in terms of very personal salvation. If every other Christian could still follow the path away from Hell but I personally had been damned, I really don't know what I would do. Probably become very angry and defy God in as many ways as possible. Because that's the way humans react. Like a child throwing a temper tantrum because they don't agree with their parent.

It makes no sense to say that God Without Salvation equals perfect goodness, but that also God With Salvation equals the same thing. That is, a God With Salvation is obviously more loving and hence more moral than a God Without Salvation. On a tangential note, I am not aware of any Biblical passages that asserts we are all deserving of hell because of our sins. The wages of sin is death, something believers and non-believers alike must pass though. I will admit that my interpretation is heavily biased by a Universalist reading of the Bible, since I was a Christian Universalist, before I became an Atheist Agnostic.

Clarence Darrow once said, "I am not afraid of any god in the universe who would send me or any other man or woman to hell. If there were such a being, he would not be a god; he would be a devil"

I don't know if I worship God even now, but if I knew I was going to hell I certainly wouldn't be hanging around churches singing songs or what have you.

Jay, what even are you? o.o I can't figure you out.