Sign in to follow this  
Reincarnate

FIX THE WEBSITE NOWWWWW

Thanks for your post Colton.

I'm not sure where this idea of 'paying for CTF' is coming from but I think it's important to dispel the rumor. CTF will never require members to 'subscribe' or pay for access to the site.

We have discussed, many times, doing a few things for people who voluntarily purchase a site-subscription, such as an Ad-Free version of CTF, with or without an additional profile-badge or something of that sort. People who cannot afford this will be unaffected.

Thanks for your post Colton.

I'm not sure where this idea of 'paying for CTF' is coming from but I think it's important to dispel the rumor. CTF will never require members to 'subscribe' or pay for access to the site.

We have discussed, many times, doing a few things for people who voluntarily purchase a site-subscription, such as an Ad-Free version of CTF, with or without an additional profile-badge or something of that sort. People who cannot afford this will be unaffected.

Ironically, Chad, there were many staff members who were disgusted with my suggestion of having a monthly membership (that was optional) that would allow the members who opted to purchase said membership to view the site ad-free. I have also contributed things that would help the site by but because I'm not an elite internet tech savy person, my ideas get brushed off.

I might be inclined to remind you all that I am an admin on another site. With newer versions of VBulletin, you can't run flashchat and expect your site to run at full capacity. They are not friendly with each other. With the Chatbox addon, we don't really have a reason to have the flashchat as well. Remove one of them please. It would help the site run faster, and it would use less of the site's capabilities. It might help get rid of the 504 Gateway errors as well.

I might be inclined to remind you all that I am an admin on another site. With newer versions of VBulletin, you can't run flashchat and expect your site to run at full capacity. They are not friendly with each other. With the Chatbox addon, we don't really have a reason to have the flashchat as well. Remove one of them please. It would help the site run faster, and it would use less of the site's capabilities. It might help get rid of the 504 Gateway errors as well.

A buddy of mine is an administrator/co owner of another forum. I must agree with Mark on this one. If flashchat was removed, it could help. Its rarely used anymore, everyone uses chatbox instead.

But they can donate money to buy a new server.

That shouldn't be a requirement to be unhappy with the service. The terms of this site is that we get to use it for free. So if things aren't running smoothly, we have a right to complain about it because we're not obligated to do anything about it. It's not our job. =

Not to mention, we just recently moved to a new server. So new servers are not a magical fix-all to all the problems of the internet. The issue that I started this thread off with, for instance, had nothing to do with the server.

But they can donate money to buy a new server.

But they can't because there is no way to donate.

We better just keep complaining then =S

That shouldn't be a requirement to be unhappy with the service. The terms of this site is that we get to use it for free. So if things aren't running smoothly, we have a right to complain about it because we're not obligated to do anything about it. It's not our job.

Just because there is a way to donate it doesn't mean anyone is obligated to donate. Effectively the site runs exactly the same free service except hopefully with less issues.

If anyone can offer a way to accept paypal donations through a third party I'd be glad to explore the possibility

Also, if anyone can volunteer some of his free time for:

- tech work (installing, upgrading, downloading mods)

- design work (in case you want to change something on the site)

- programming work (for custom plugins, mods etc)

let me know and I'll be glad to let you have your way

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

If anyone can offer a way to accept paypal donations through a third party I'd be glad to explore the possibility

Also, if anyone can volunteer some of his free time for:

- tech work (installing, upgrading, downloading mods)

- design work (in case you want to change something on the site)

- programming work (for custom plugins, mods etc)

let me know and I'll be glad to let you have your way

[h=1]Server error[/h]The website encountered an error while retrieving http://www.christianteenforums.com/forum.php. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.

[h=2]Here are some suggestions:[/h]

HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

20 refreshes, 4 "502 Gateway"s, and 3 "504 Gateway Timeout"s later, I can view the forums again. I would be more than willing to help out, but I would need to get permission from the site first and people would be up in arms ;)

I highly doubt removing FlashChat would effect anything since no one really uses it, it's just sitting there not being executed or processed by the server unless it's being loaded. But always good to get rid of bloat, I'd be in favor of removing it from the possible causes of problems.

Regarding donations, I think the best way to handle this would still be through a member subscriptions addon for VBulletin. We can easily create a paypal account to handle these payments. However I would strongly insist that if we move to accepting any regular monetary amounts from members that all financials regarding the site be made public. That would be costs for running the site, regular reported balances of paypal account, etc... to encourage transparency on that sort of thing.

Quick recap:

The server we were sitting on was simply faulty, there's no way I can fix via software something that plain doesn't work

I would fix and fix and fix and after 2 days the database would crash, the web server hang and whatnot

It simply couldn't go on like that

So, I've decided to take drastic measures: the site has been moved to a server on the other side of the world, sharing resources with other websites, but on a faster and much more modern machine

You might notice some small network latency, but overall the machine itself is the most modern I could find for a price that enables CTF to survive

As far as I can see for the past hour, everything is flowing smoothly, let's give it a few days and see if the experiment turns out well

Haven't had the time to check flashchat, someone please report :)

In the meantime, I urge you to contact me directly via mail at sunnyjo@gmx.com should you encounter any technical bug, this will make sure I at least see it

The big problem here is communication and time..for example, for the past few days I thought the forum was up because the homepage was working and my automated monitors were checking it and showing an UP indicator

Nobody sent me a mail saying that indeed the internal threads were not working, so I was assuming everything was OK

I literally only have few minutes each day to dedicate here, but I work very fast, so they're sufficient to keep the place running smoothly -if I'm informed-

So, when in doubt, just fire an email :) Worst case scenario it's just one mode "del", best case scenario you save CTF a few days of downtime

Enjoy the new machine!

Thanks Jo, just a small niggle but is there anyway to bring back the feature where the forum automatically resizes the avatar/profile pic instead of having to do it manually? It's just a bit of a pain is all.

First, thank you Pointer and Sunny Jo for the work that you do put in. I honestly do not think it is understood all across the board that you guys have the stress of the problems, the stress of fixing these issues, and then the stress of the complaints.

There is just one main thing that has been bothering me that I have felt the need to say, I must agree with Haley and Reincarnate about the whole paying/donation issue. Not everyone will pay if that ends up being the only answer to the problem. On the issue of the donating to the upgrade or paying etc, anything dealing with money basically, not everyone could pay. One of the most obvious, the TEENAGERS on the TEEN forums. I honestly think that if anyone can complain it is anyone, if one more than the other then it would be the staff. Not those who have paid, why? Because it reduces it to a select few and silences those who were not able to do so.

Lastly, my favorite post here was by Yves. The whole post was all true, we cannot give all the responsibility to the staff and expect them to fix everything and then magically the site is busy again, no we actually have to take initiative and bring the life back to the site.

Keep in mind that if you see a problem, as Pointer said, let them know. Complaining needs to be the last thing to do, it does not help anyone or anything.

-Colton

This post is exactly what i was saying to people on chat last night. I appreacate everything the staff has done for ctf, and i think the last think we should do is complain. I especally agree with the bold part! The members of ctf cant expect the staff to do everything. If there is a problem, the members of ctf need to band together and do something to help, particularly if we wan't an alternitive to paying.

Thanks Jo, just a small niggle but is there anyway to bring back the feature where the forum automatically resizes the avatar/profile pic instead of having to do it manually? It's just a bit of a pain is all.

Try now, it should work :)

the site has been moved to a server on the other side of the world

I am ok with this =D

Works like a charm Jo, merci. Though seeing i'm already griping, is there any chance of having the profile pic size limit turned up again? 100x100 is too small really to have anything good.

Sunny Jo while your still here would you be able to fix the options up top they're all squished up together and I can't access the options that allow you to accese your control panel and log out and all that.

CTF won't let me upload the screen shot and I'm not aloud to have a photobucket account. Know of any other ways I can get the picture on here?

tinypic.com