Sign in to follow this  
HeavenSent4

Christian Goth

Just wondering the views on christians dressing goth. I have my own opinons on it and I undrstand not everyone agrees. I'm just curious what other Christians think about it.

Clearification: goth in sense of style of dressing (darker makeup, dressing in black, wearing chains, etc) not in the sterotypical assosiation with the social label of "emo." Just the style of dressing.

This is my view, I doubt it's all scripturally sound, but I'll give my two pennies for what it's worth :)

Ultimately, I think that what is more important is your heart. Whether you're following Jesus, whether you love him, etc. That should come first, above all things, because that is what is most important.
Then, I think then there has to be a consideration on what your clothing represents. What does your clothing represent? Are you representing Christ in what you wear? Are you serving Him, or are you serving the world?
If it's just goth clothing because it's what someone likes to wear, then fine. It's the same as with anything, really. If your clothing hinders your relationship with Christ, then no, but if it doesn't, I wouldn't worry about it.
It wouldn't be my personal choice of clothing, but hey, maybe that's just because I don't suit black :laugh:

Guest JAG

If you're looking for sound teaching on the matter, read Romans 14.

Bottom line? There isn't an unbiblical "style" of clothing. If you believe it's sinful, then it is - for you - but it's not for the general church. Likewise, many people delve into a culture in order to reach their lost friends (I do it all the time). This is in keeping with Paul's words when he wrote, "I've become all things to all people so I might win some." Gothic kids need to hear the gospel too, so get with it.

If you're looking for sound teaching on the matter, try this website http://www.christiangoths.com/

..... that site smells suspiciously of troll....

Seriously? scroll down to the bottom and you'll get "God Hates Women"

I wouldn't be surprised if it was linked to the WBC.

Goth is a style (of fashion, architecture, and literature, though there's probably other styles), and wearing gothic clothes isn't incompatible with believing in God. Honestly, I don't see why it would be.

..... that site smells suspiciously of troll....

Well, it *is* a troll site. Praise Jesus!

Anyway, I agree with JAG. Everyone needs to hear the Gospel, and if a particular way of dressing (provided it's modest of course, and you're not "flirting for Jesus"...) will help you get near to them, then go for it. In the end, we'll all be dressed in white anyway.

But if you're dressing that way simply to try to fit in... it's not sinful, but it doesn't mean it's healthy.

Nothing immoral about it. It's immoral if it's done to provoke others. If you just like it, fine. Also, keep in mind that it's considered ugly by most people (like this one), and people will react as they will.

I looooove dressing in black! It's one of my favorite colors and I do wear black eyeliner. I personally love the whole, "wear black and neon colors" thing. It's adorable. ^.^

If you're looking for sound teaching on the m r, try this website http://www.christiangoths.com/

Really? Really?!? ROFL that's funny because it's so far from the truth of why I dress "goth" it's insane. I just find the style cute. I'm not goingaround wearing chains and threatening people with chain saws. There's nothing wrong with wearing all black.