Sign in to follow this  
Skywalker

Joyce Meyer false prophet??

I am sooooo confused right now. There was this whole fight thing going on on my facebook about whether or not women should be allowed to be pastors in a ministry or not.

I know the whole 1 Timothy 2: 11-14 thing that says women should be all quiet and submissive, but is that applicable today?

I have a friend (female) that has been called to a ministry of love by God. She is starting her studies next year.

Soo when I tried to support my view of women being pastors with examples like Joyce Meyer and Gretha Wiid, this one person says Joyce is a false pastor that picks stuff out of the Bible like it's a buffet and even a Mormon can do that.

I don't know what to believe anymore. I've been reading Joyce's stuff for like foreeeever and I've never seen anything dodgy...

And can women be pastors??

:huh:

I have thought about that, but she wasn't a pastor. She never taught anyone anything (well, except us, now lol). Though God DID use her to basically save a whole nation hmmm.

Yeah, haven't heard of those two, but I would agree that women shouldn't be in pastoral roles. That doesn't mean they can't teach and be role models for other Christians though!

Regardless of the "women pastors" subject, my understanding is that Joyce Meyer is primarily interested in money.

I've got no problem with women's ordination. For much of the first millennium there are a number of examples of women being ordained at least to a position in which they can administer sacraments to other women. And I think that for much of the early middle ages and even up to the high middle ages Christian spirituality and ecclesial authority has had very feminine characteristics - Hildegard of Bingen has made similar observations as a contemporary. I think that at least this means we can reconceptualise priesthood in a manner more consistent with the history of Christian faith although I would be in favour of full ordination.

Joyce Meyer is so far outside of continuity with any historical form of Christianity that I think it's safe to just dismiss absolutely everything she says.

So I think it's save to say from communional agreement and posts to deem Joyce Meyer a "no-go"...

That's sad. But if it's the truth then that's the way it is I guess.

So I think it's save to say from communional agreement and posts to deem Joyce Meyer a "no-go"...

That's sad. But if it's the truth then that's the way it is I guess.

You don't make these sorts of decisions from a group of virtually anonymous opinions on the internet. You look into the topic itself in depth. After you do that I'm sure you'd agree with just about everyone here based on your own terms. ;-)

You don't make these sorts of decisions from a group of virtually anonymous opinions on the internet. You look into the topic itself in depth. After you do that I'm sure you'd agree with just about everyone here based on your own terms. ;-)

I was just going to say this. CTF isn't exactly the ordained judge of God on these matters :P

That said, Joyce Meyer is very much a part of the Word of Faith movement, so I would recommend staying away from her ministry.

If you are edified by Joyce's sermons or books, then go for it. Don't let people on the internet decide for you if you should listen to someone.

On women preachers, yes they can preach to both men and women. Whether or not they should be the "Head Pastor" is a different story.

I've always been taught that the passage stating that women should be submissive in churches was only meant to be a word for that particular church Paul was writing to, because the women there were known to speak out of turn and say things out of ignorance.

I've always been taught that the passage stating that women should be submissive in churches was only meant to be a word for that particular church Paul was writing to, because the women there were known to speak out of turn and say things out of ignorance.

That's just something people like to say in order to make Paul out to be more interested in women's equality than he probably actually was. I think that Paul did not think in terms of women's equality, no one did in the first century CE. He may have thought that women shouldn't be abused just as he would have thought that orphans and widows shouldn't be abused and should be cared for. Today we believe that gender roles are cultural conventions and that when they marginalise the feminine they should be challenged. Paul wouldn't have thought that, no one thought about "social constructionism" in the first century. :-)

I don't think it's a woman's place to be in a pastoral role. That's my opinion based off what the Scriptures say.

However I do think women can teach about the gospel.