Sign in to follow this  
courtneyTN

Something I'm struggling with...

Well first off, I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. I'm new here, so I'm sorry if I'm still trying to navigate correctly!

I will start by saying that I am a Christian, and I believe in God. I am saved & baptized. I have never had a problem believing that Jesus is in fact the Messiah. However, recently I came across a website owned by what I am assuming to be a person of Judaism. The site went on to describe why they do not believe Jesus fulfilled all of the prophecies made in the OT. This was very confusing to me, and a little scary, so I looked up a lot of the prophecies that He did fulfill.

What I'm getting at is, ever since I was saved I have never had this problem. All of sudden, something different pops up and I can't shake it. I can't get it out of my head that maybe I'm wrong. I don't want to be wrong! This has seriously brought me to tears and I'm freakin out man lol

So my questions are:

Has anyone else ever been through this?

Can someone please give me some advice/share their experience?

Thanks to all!

Although this might be a little hard to believe, it's a good thing that you are questioning what you believe.

You said that you've never had a problem believing that Jesus is the Messiah. But why not? You really believe that Mary became pregnant without another man? You really believe that a Carpenter's son in Nazareth was actually the King of Kings? You really believe that Jesus came back from the dead? You really believe that God created the world and that it's not just the random results of time and chance?

I would argue that it's good to ask these questions. Because there comes a point in which you have to make your faith your own, and not your parent's. So I think, perhaps, one of the most important questions you could ponder would be this: Is your faith your own? Is your faith based on a supernatural conversion whereby God changed your heart and showed you the glories of Christ? Or is your faith just something you believe because it's what you've always been told?

My best advice would be this: First, soak yourself in the gospel. Read about it, ponder it, pursue it. Spent time meditating on the fact that Christ came to this earth and lived a sinless life. He bore the curse of God on the cross of all those who would believe in Him. He bore the wrath of God-- the wrath of God that everyone deserves. If you're not quite sure where to start, this sermon might help:

Second, make sure that you are truly Christian. This is a biblical practice, as Paul said in 2 Corinthians 13:5, Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. For this I would recommend reading the book of 1 John. Read carefully and really think about what you're reading. A while back I read through 1 John once a day for 30 days-- and it was life changing.

Third, once you are soaked in the gospel and once you see that you are truly His, no matter what you have done, then you can take the time to examine the common charges made against Christianity. It's then that you will be in the right place to defend what you believe-- because you will know that you really do believe it! There is the possibility, of course, that you already really do believe it-- which would be awesome. In that case, yes, there are time when you can read charges against Christianity and you might struggle with how to provide a proper response. That's natural. It takes time and effort to learn what you believe and learn to defend it. And if you are interested in being able to better defend your faith, I would recommend to become incredibly familiar with your Bible. Make it your food; don't live by bread alone, but by every word from the mouth of God.

I hope that I was of some help. PM me if you have any questions.

I went through this a semester into my bachelor of theology. It's one of the reasons I disbelieve in the inerrancy/infallibility of scripture. I think that there are much more fruitful ways of interpreting the bible than taking it literally. My advise is to pour through some commentaries and exegetical work and historical work on the person of Jesus. It's a fruitful endeavour. You'll probably find that academics looking at the bible can highlight some very profound things. :-)

The thing to remember is that questions and doubts aren't a bad thing as long as you take them to God and work through them with Him. I've never had those specific problems and questions, but I've had my fair share. The thing to remember is that He is with you and loves you. God created intelligent beings, and wondering about different things was bound to come with that. Just pray about it and ask God to show you the truth.

Because there comes a point in which you have to make your faith your own, and not your parent's. So I think, perhaps, one of the most important questions you could ponder would be this: Is your faith your own? Is your faith based on a supernatural conversion whereby God changed your heart and showed you the glories of Christ? Or is your faith just something you believe because it's what you've always been told?

Yes. Absolutely my faith is my own. I was not raised in a strict Christian household. My mother is a believer, but she never really talked to me about God, unless I asked a question. My dad...I have no idea. He's a little weird...but that is another story for another day lol

I was never forced to go to church or anything like that. I found Him on my own, because I knew there had to be more to this life than what I was experiencing at the time.

I loved your advice. I posted this a few days ago, and I've prayed strongly about it since then. I am feeling way better about it now.

Yep, been there many a time. But, its actually really good for you. The worst thing you can do is not take care of doubt, not ask questions, not seek out the truth. Doubt sucks, but in the end it helps us grow as human beings and as Christians. I don't know if you have a strong Christian influence in your life, say a pastor or a youth pastor, but if you do, don't be afraid to pose your questions to them. It's good to ask questions. If you have a question, God has an answer. But questions generally come before answers.

I'm there right now. I also found God on my own... but I've found surrounding yourself with positive christians who really support you and pray for you can really help :)