Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Will God give me what my heart desires?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Godislove405

Godislove405

Getting The Hang Of Things

• 69 posts
I have so many desires. One for God to give me a best friend, for me to become better in soccer, for my family to find good jobs. I've been praying for these things for years, but nothing... That just makes me lose faith.

happyface

happyface

Getting The Hang Of Things

• 67 posts
God will totally give you what your heart desires. But, he'll only do it according to his plan. So it is our responsibility to ask him for what our heart desires, but we should always ask for it according to his plan. Sometimes God takes time, but He is perfect, so all we can actually do is wait and never give up on praying to him for our desires. The Bible says that if we ask God with lots of perseverance, insisting and with a lot of faith, he wont hesitate to bless us. But, remember, God has a perfect plan that might take time. When I feel like I am losing faith on God's plan I just ask myself "Do you believe God can do it? Do you believe God can do anything? Do you believe God WILL do it?" Sometimes I am afraid that what I am asking for might be out of God's plan. But, if I actually get myself through the 3rd question, I know God WILL do it. For example, I've been praying to God for years for my best friends to accept Jesus Christ as their only Saviour. Sometimes I feel like it wont happen. But, I ask myself does questions and I know that God can do it, I know that God can do anything, I know that God will do it. Why wouldn't God want my friends to be saved? Why wouldn't God want you to have a best friend? Why wouldn't God want your family to have good jobs? Heck! Why wouldn't God want you to get better at soccer? Just dont give up on God, I promise you God will not give up on you. God has a perfect plan. Maybe some things need to happen before God gives you what your heart desires. If you try to move a little faster than God, some wrong is going to happen. Trust me, I tried speeding up once and that didn't work out well. Walk by God, no matter what. Dont give up.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

By the way, Luke 18: 1- 8
KEEPFIRM&GOING

Cwtch

Cwtch

Accomplished Poster

• 340 posts

I have so many desires. One for God to give me a best friend, for me to become better in soccer, for my family to find good jobs. I've been praying for these things for years, but nothing... That just makes me lose faith.

You want God to give you a best friend. Did he not give you Jesus?
You want to be better at soccer. Do you not have functional legs, a brain, and vision?

As for family finding good jobs, I concede that's not easy in this day and age. Maybe you should ask for jobs before you worry about GOOD jobs, just to get them on the ladder :P

If you find this answer annoying, wait till you see what I reply to your other thread about miracles xD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wormwood

Wormwood

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
The Question is: why do you want these?

Do you think God is some kind of Vending Machines where you pray hard enough and out pops a miracle?

Remember, this is the infinite God of the Universe, the one whose very grace keeps the Universe in Existence.
1 Timothy 4:10
For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers.

John 17:2
2 For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him.

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

opalecent

opalecent

Member - 1Ker

• 3,600 posts
All I can say is this:
Sometimes God gives us what is best for us, not what we want.

Imagine you are a parent. Your 3 year old wants to go and play in the street. Do you let him? NO, because it's not safe and the 3 year old doesn't know the dangers.

Your 8 year old wants an allowance. This is all well and good, but you know your 8 year old still needs to learn some things about the value of money before you just give it to them. So you have them work for the money you give them.

Your 16 year old wants freedom with the car, but you know that he/she does not hang out with the right crowd, so you say no.

All of these examples are things the child wants and would say would make them happy. The thing is, you as the parent know that they won't be happy in the long run, or won't have learned the skills they need in the real world. So you exercise your better judgment.

This is how I see God. His will is, ultimately, that we know Him -- NOT that we have all the earthly objects or relationships our hearts desire. What He does choose to give us, are things that will help our characters grow, will help us know about who He is. If He gave me a ton of money, I can see myself becoming dependent on the money and not Him, that's probably why I'm poor.

Love is a friendship set to music. ~Eli Joseph Cossman
CTF Daughter to teh awesome Foofer and Kirsty!
~~Icexist has my ♥ - right after Jesus~~
*insert something clever here* < That's your signature tag (: Enjoy! ~Haley<3

AngelMaurie

AngelMaurie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
The Lord told me to tell you, I'll be your Best Friend, your family will get wonderful jobs, and you will be a champ in soccer. Just keep believeing in me;)

bntser

bntser

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
It's important to not that there is a condition with this promise:

[ESV] Psalms 37:4
Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Notice He will give you the desires of you heart IF you delight yourself in the LORD. So if you want to know God, he will not deny you.

[ESV] Matthew 15:19
For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander.

This verse shows how the heart is evil; so be sure the reason you want these things is to glorify God.

It doesn't sound like you are being selfish with your prayers, so keep at it :)
Like happyface mentioned:

[ESV] Luke 18:2
1 And he told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart. 2 He said, “In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor respected man. 3 And there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, ‘Give me justice against my adversary.’ 4 For a while he refused, but afterward he said to himself, ‘Though I neither fear God nor respect man, 5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will give her justice, so that she will not beat me down by her continual coming.’” 6 And the Lord said, “Hear what the unrighteous judge says. 7 And will not God give justice to his elect, who cry to him day and night? , Will he delay long over them? 8 I tell you, he will give justice to them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?”

JoshuaPopper

JoshuaPopper

Member - 1Ker

• 2,585 posts
Saint Peter was told by Christ that in following Christ he will be lead where he did not want to go. Life is a fairly complex phenomenon and we can just as easily see circumstances bringing us our desires as we can see God sending us into personal misfortune. I'm certain that God is not in the business of making our life comfortable and anyone who's read or heard the New Testament should know that followers of Christ do not have a better or happier life than the rest of the world.

Christian tradition has ceaselessly elaborated on personal discomforts which Christians can experience. A most famous example is Saint John of the Cross's discussion of "nada" or the Dark Night of the Soul. It's God's kenosis which pours out over all God's followers as we follow Christ in the depression and anxiety of the Cross. Personal comforts have nothing to do with this particular mysticism and in fact are antithetical to the view!
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max Power @ Jan 19 2010, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

IHOP has a university? That means the following conversation might one day happen!

Joe: Hey Bob, what was your major in college?
Bob: Waffles.

Jesus.holds.my.heart

Jesus.holds.my.heart

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Psalm 37:4 - Delight yourself in the Lord, And He will give You the desires of Your heart.

Mathew 6:33 - Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need.

Lion_Angel

Lion_Angel

Member - 1Ker

• 1,761 posts

Psalm 37:4 - Delight yourself in the Lord, And He will give You the desires of Your heart.

This verse needs to be read carefully. For, if we delight ourselves in the Lord, we will desire what He desires. And if we desire what He desires, there is no question that He will give it to us.

And if you are unsure what He desires, it's as simple as learning His Word through Bible study (personal as well as group), and Church. :)

[SIGPIC]Posted Image[/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users