Sign in to follow this  
Spirituality>Religion

Can Music be christian?

What makes music christian? Do lyrics really make a difference?

I've been a christian all my life and never liked "christian music" of any sort. Although I am a christian I listen to bands with a darker edge like Black Sabbath, Witchcraft, Jex Thoth, and Saint Vitus. This is not all that I listen to but it's all from my favorite genre of music, psychedelic/doom metal. Do any of you think that it's sacrilegious to like these bands? In my opinion listening to this music is like reading a book about Greek heroes and gods, although you enjoyed it you don't believe it. What are your thoughts?

I don't believe there is such a thing as "Christian" music. For one, no one can really define it is it music made by Christians or is it songs that talk about God?, because many non Christians write songs about God. I was reading a book and it said that there is not really a such thing. If anything is "holy" it is music where the artist is using their talent to the best of their abilities and in return are glorifying God. The criteria he gave was if the music was beautiful and portrayed TRUTH. If it does this it is considered good, and therefore of God. He went on to say how there is alot of mediocre music and "Christian" art out there , these people didn't put there heart in it and therefore does not really glorify God. The music you listen to doesn't change your status as a Christian or not as one, it is Jesus who saves. As long as you recognize music as art and it portrays TRUTH then there is nothing wrong with it.

I'm going to quote Jason Castro.

I don't there should be lines of "Christian music" and "non-Christian music." You know, the music doesn't make a decision to follow Christ! In my music, all the themes are things that are good. [...] There's the verse [Phil. 4:8] that says, "Whatever is noble, whatever is pure, whatever is right, whatever is lovely … think of these things."

Liking metal/psych rock music isn't bad at all, it isn't influencing you to do anything. Some people just get a bit paranoid by it but there's absolutely no need, I listen to a lot of rap and rock, and there's quite of lot of swearing but there's nothing to like this music. It's just expression.

Here's the thing. I'm not sure that I can tell you if music can be Christian, but I can tell you that lyrics do make a huge difference. You are supposed to live a godly life. You shouldn't allow things that pull you down in a negative way or teach you to sin enter your head or heart and that is what too much music does now-a-days. I think that Christian music is amazing, a positive alternative. I recommend you look into a metal or screamo Christian band, they are out there and they rock. Try listening to Air1 (they stream online) because they are really good for positive music.

If you like doommetal check out Goliath, one of the greatest metal bands I've heard with that dark/doom sound with Christian lyrics.

http://www.tartareandesire.com/bands/Goliath/3156

Goliath is the brainchild of Mick Rowe (ex-Tempest, Midnight Orchestra). They are from Terre Haute, Indiana, and play something they call doomonic metal. It fuses old school psychedelic rock with modern doom/sludge metal. Think of it as one big sonic street brawl between The Doors, Trouble, and Motörhead.