Sign in to follow this  
BrendoGlobs

Should Christians always obey government?

Hi everyone!

Lately I've been very curious about something... I think in the Bible, 1 Peter 2 13 says something along the lines of "Submit to the government." I'm wondering if Peter was speaking only to the present audience in his letter, or if that was meant to be followed by people in modern times as well.

If it is meant to still be followed, it seems a little strange that the Bible might be seen as calling the civil rights movement, etc. as sinful. Does anyone think that maybe he meant that for his audience, at that point in history? Or does it still apply today?

If anyone could help me out, I'd be very grateful. :)

I believe it still applies, but you have to draw a line somewhere. Obey the government until they tell you to do something that goes against God's Word.

Let's think of it this way. If you believe that these New Testament books were addressed ONLY to the specific churches the letters were being sent to, then that basically means that almost none of the New Testament applies to modern day believers. And you could say the same about the Old Testament. It was written before Jesus came and covered us with His blood, sop that mean the Old Testament no longer applies.

So now you've got a book filled with stories and rules that don't apply to Christians anymore. That just doesn't make any sense.

Romans 13:1-2 "Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves."

I will try to post more verses that apply as I think of them.

A good biblical example of this can be found in Acts 5:29. Peter and the other apostles had been ordered to stop proclaiming the gospel (Acts 2:28). Peter refused to submit to this authority and said, "We must obey God rather than men". This, of course, has wider application. Say, for instance, the government instructs you to commit murder, theft, or some other crime. The Christian response would be refusal. Why? Because it would directly violate God's law. God's law, so to speak, "trumps" the laws that human governments create.

The conclusion, then, is that Christians are to obey the civil authorities/government in all things in so far as they do not contradict God's law.