Getting tatted up

Shadrahk

^ Possibly, very possibly, but I still laughed. Though, in fairness I disagree.

Tattoos, when well thought out and meaningful don't really bother me from a moral standpoint. Now, if you have a pin-up girl on your forehead I'm gonna call it a sin (and you an idiot) but the vast majority of Christians who I've met with tattoos have respectful ones, and many use them as conversation starters and evangelizetion tools. I really do think you should think a tattoo through before you get it though. Getting a tat just to get a tat is silly. It really should have meaning. I also think that your first tattoo should probably be something small and discreet. Not that large tattoos are bad (because they arn't) its just useful to be able to be able to hide the thing for interviews and such.

For a wider survey of beilefs about tattoos on CTF type 'Tattoos' in that nifty lil search box in the upper right hand area of your screen. :-)

Not sure what kind of job you guys are expecting to get but as long as they aren't on your face, you should be fine. My brother has a tattoo and so does my brother in law, both are visible and they both have really good paying jobs. This isn't 1982, things have changed ... Tattoos are much more socially accepted. That said, yes I have some ideas but very indifferent and I know who I want to hire and I gotta have the money for it. :laugh:

I want one eventually. The whole job thing makes sense, but it really depends on what kind of job you are going to get and where the tattoo is going to be. My boyfriend for instance has a sleeve tat but he stopped right before his wrist. Hes going to be wearing long sleeved shirts if he gets a fancy schmancy job somewhere. Me? I just want one on my shoulder blade/back, so the only people going to see it is if I wear a tank top or swimsuit or whatever, and I highly doubt the job im getting in the future will have a dress code like that =p

Just dont get names of boyfriends or girlfriends and ----- take a considerate amount of time--- to think of the tattoo you want. Obviously. Its going to be on you permanently. Unless you want a henna one =p Which Ive had those a lot. Haha

Bible wise-- there is always going to be a debate. You either take certain scripture super seriously or not.

I heard this cruel news story where a male tattoo artist was so livid about finding out his girlfriend cheated on him, that he got her drunk, compelled her to sign some papers protecting him from lawsuit, and he proceeded to give her a massive back tattoo depicting a giant pile of human waste surrounded by flies. I kid you not, google it.

Get a tattoo, but pick carefully as you may regret it later. Case in point, here's my first tattoo:

tatfz.jpg

Of course you can always get them edited later, which I intend to do eventually, but it's best if you get something that could be easily covered up or incorporated into something else on the off chance that you grow to hate it.

My thoughts, exactly. There is nothing wrong with them, but they are still partially associated with a seedy subculture in Western identity.

Maybe, but anyone that refuses to employ you because of a tattoo you have is probably only doing it because you have tiger stripes tattooed to your face or something. Most tattoos these days are socially acceptable and some even add attractiveness in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I know, if you were to join the military, it can't be an offensive tattoo. But anywhere else I don't see why not. My friend is also a youth leader and he just got a half sleeve and it had a cross, a dove, and I think the olive branch and under it was a banner that said I think Psalms 103:5" I just know it was Psalms something

• 3 weeks later...

While I don't have any tats, I see no moral problem with them. Morally, it's no different than wearing a T-shirt, creating a musical composition, or painting a picture. It's an artistic way to express oneself. However, there are some practical aspects that should be considered before diving head first into tattoos (job options, permanent nature of the tattoo, etc).

I have two tattoos.

My first one was a little heart beneath my thumb. I got it to match two of my co workers. It was poorly done and I went to get it fixed two weeks ago. I had the word Amour added beneath it. I'd originally planned to get the word tattooed on my left wrist, but this fit better. I've been criticized for getting such a visible tattoo but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Last week, I got Hope on my back right shoulder. Underneath is my favorite Bible verse- Jeremiah 29:11. I've struggled throughout my life with depression and this is a daily reminder of what God has in store for me.

I carefully planned both tattoos for over a year and I'm proud to have them both.

I'm too much of a baby to get a tattoo. I hate pain and needles aren't my best friends.

So long as your tattoo isn't a naked woman, a drug reference or something sketchy like that, it's cool. I do hope you like unwanted attention though, becuase people like staring at tattoos. :P

If I were ever to get one it'd be like this one. Maybe a favorite bible verse or something... tatto.jpg

I love that it's nude colored. It's there, but it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. It's understated, and I think one of the classier tattoos I've seen. But that's just my opinion.

So what are your opinions on tattoos?

I'm still not sure where I stand on the subject.

I wouldn't ever get a tattoo... firstly, because I have a low pain tolerance. Secondly, because my family would freak, no matter how old I was. Thirdly, because I would hate to come across as a 'punk' for job interviews. etc. And last of all, I think they're sort of gross.

That said, I have absolutely no problem with anyone else getting/having them.

I've always wanted one and I have a high tolerance for pain :D BUT I'm not getting one because of the future job I'm aiming at and I have a very fickle mind. One day I'd love to have it, the next day I'd hate it. So I just keep on getting a henna over and over. At least I can choose when I can have it.