Paper Towels

swimsuits

Well, I don't think wearing a bikini is wrong as long as it's not showing too much. However, this is coming from the girl who wears nike shorts and flip flops all year round! My youth group isn't huge on the hole modesty issue, most girls wear bikinis to church pool parties. I don't see a problem with wearing any form of a swimsuit as long as you are comfortable in it and it is not inappropriate.

Well, I don't think wearing a bikini is wrong as long as it's not showing too much. However, this is coming from the girl who wears nike shorts and flip flops all year round! My youth group isn't huge on the hole modesty issue, most girls wear bikinis to church pool parties. I don't see a problem with wearing any form of a swimsuit as long as you are comfortable in it and it is not inappropriate.

This is kinda how I feel about it. If people are dressing in accordance with their convictions who am I to judge them? People have different takes on modesty. Haley believes those vintage suits I posted earlier were immodest and I respect that, but honestly I wouldn't ever wear more than that to go swimming, I'd feel like I was gonna drown! Those seem VERY modest to me.

Not gonna lie, I'm loving vintage inspired swimsuits. They're so cute and 1950's!

f87aedc4676b789519b2bad2715c2d72.jpg

1e27c32bb60f21912566ccde03f4f8bc.jpg

ew_cherries_swimsuit2_large.jpg

I just wonder if they'd look cute on me or not.

These are gorgeous! BUYING.

well this is mostly girls but I wear shorter swim trunks (nothing near speedo, because thats just weird) and sometimes a tshirt because i dont really want to get burned like i have before but I love a girl who has a nice body showing it off, too many girls hide behind clothing and develop body image issues. if you got it, show it off before it sags off.

too many girls hide behind clothing and develop body image issues.

That is because of our overly sexualized society pushing the need to be skinny and sexy on younger and younger groups of kids because super skinny, big breasts, and sex appeal equal beauty in today's western culture. When I was 12, note that was only 6 years ago, most girls were just really starting to notice boys, sex was still gross if it had even entered the 12 year old mind, and even if you were "lucky enough" to get a "boyfriend" you had no idea how you did it, why he liked you, or what to do with him after you got him. Now, you hear of 12 year old mothers, 12 year old hookers, 12 year olds running away to be with older guys, and 12 year olds with body images, eating disorders, depression, and non-existent self esteem because they think being 100 lbs is fat, not having large breasts is ugly, and not wearing tight, skimpy, barely covering clothes is out of style and childish.

Just wanted to point all that out, because the reason girls hide behind clothing and develop body image issues is largely in part to the over sexualization of today's young girls, beating it into them at the age of 8 and 9 that they have to be skinny and sexy to be beautiful. That fits into this debate, because part of the issues with girls today, stems from things like swimsuits being made skimpy and "sexy" and then having anorexic and bulimic models showing them off and being deemed "beautiful" when they are entirely too skinny and a good portion of there bodies are fake anyway.

I dare say if we taught today's girls (ages 8-13 particularly) to cover up there developing bodies, that they are beautiful even if they aren't size 2 with triple D breasts, and that sex and skimpy clothes were not the only ways to get guys to like them; that would do away with alot of pre-teen, teenage, and young adult body issues, instead of making clothes, underwear, and swimsuits smaller, skimpier, and sexier and trying to make them appeal to younger and younger generations.

That's one huge reason (aside from modesty, which is the top issue) that if I have a daughter/daughters one day they won't wear swimsuits and why I don't wear them now, because I believe swimsuits help fuel the ever increasing bandwagon that you have to be super skinny and show off your skin and cleavage to be beautiful, which is simply not the case.

That is because of our overly sexualized society pushing the need to be skinny and sexy on younger and younger groups of kids because super skinny, big breasts, and sex appeal equal beauty in today's western culture. When I was 12, note that was only 6 years ago, most girls were just really starting to notice boys, sex was still gross if it had even entered the 12 year old mind, and even if you were "lucky enough" to get a "boyfriend" you had no idea how you did it, why he liked you, or what to do with him after you got him. Now, you hear of 12 year old mothers, 12 year old hookers, 12 year olds running away to be with older guys, and 12 year olds with body images, eating disorders, depression, and non-existent self esteem because they think being 100 lbs is fat, not having large breasts is ugly, and not wearing tight, skimpy, barely covering clothes is out of style and childish.

Just wanted to point all that out, because the reason girls hide behind clothing and develop body image issues is largely in part to the over sexualization of today's young girls, beating it into them at the age of 8 and 9 that they have to be skinny and sexy to be beautiful. That fits into this debate, because part of the issues with girls today, stems from things like swimsuits being made skimpy and "sexy" and then having anorexic and bulimic models showing them off and being deemed "beautiful" when they are entirely too skinny and a good portion of there bodies are fake anyway.

I dare say if we taught today's girls (ages 8-13 particularly) to cover up there developing bodies, that they are beautiful even if they aren't size 2 with triple D breasts, and that sex and skimpy clothes were not the only ways to get guys to like them; that would do away with alot of pre-teen, teenage, and young adult body issues, instead of making clothes, underwear, and swimsuits smaller, skimpier, and sexier and trying to make them appeal to younger and younger generations.

That's one huge reason (aside from modesty, which is the top issue) that if I have a daughter/daughters one day they won't wear swimsuits and why I don't wear them now, because I believe swimsuits help fuel the ever increasing bandwagon that you have to be super skinny and show off your skin and cleavage to be beautiful, which is simply not the case.

Somebody needed to say this. It's really sad how true this is. I believe if more people started standing up for what they believed in, and stopped wearing skimpier and "sexier" clothing, we would see less and less of that type of clothing as business's tried to cater to Christian markets.

I rarely swim because of a person reason I won't disclose, but the last time I went swimming (a year ago I think?) a friend loaned me a pair of boxers and a black t shirt. I was comfortable in that.

I have no issue with what people choose to wear... topless for both guys and girls i'm ok with, a chick friend of mine went swimming topless and none of us had an issue with it. if it was a setting where nude swimming was ok, then i would be prepared for that - time and place for everything, i think.

Haley, I agree with you wholeheartedly, or at least most of the way. I definitely agree that women and girls are oversexualized and objectified in our culture, and that this has negative consequences. Where I disagree is probably with the connotative aspects of your post. I think that very often a conservative approach teaches women and girls that their bodies are bad. We have to create a balanced sense of sexuality, where women and girls can feel sexy, yet not be oversexualized (i.e. take personal pride in other accomplishments). I am the perennial moderate it always seems.

I don't think bikinis are that bad, personally. I don't wear them, but that's because I got a lot of 'junk in my trunk'. Normally I would agree with saying bikinis are underwear, but if people focus more on playin' in the water, than layin' around in the sun, setting their skin cells on fire, we wouldn't have the issue of boys getting lusty.

Also, I feel like the human body is simply that, the human body. Adam and Eve were naked...

If our culture wasn't so insane about the sexuality of skin, it wouldn't matter. Look at places where our immodesty is their cultures norm. I agree bikinis need to be bigger, but I think when it comes to swimming it doesn't matter, because a totally different goal is at hand, to swim.

And not drown.

Well, I guess it all depends on the suit. One pieces tend to generally be more modest yes, but not all are. I own a blue two piece that I LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!!! But It's also not one size under what I should be wearing. Some girls wear bikinis that are way too small for them and do it on purpose. THAT is definitely not modest. If you wear it right it can be modest. The same thing goes for a one piece. Some one pieces are a heck of alot less modest then some of the two pieces I've seen. :unsure: I guess it just all depends.

The way I see it, A girl wouldnt go out in her bra and panties but if its a Bikini its like "Yeah! Ill go half naked to the pool!" it doesnt make sense but im a guy so what do I know about Female Swimwear.

we should all wear full scuba gear when swimming

We suits make me shudder - they're impossible to get into!!

We suits make me shudder - they're impossible to get into!!

It's not the getting in that I dislike, it's the getting out... *shudder* I only wear one when absolutely necessary - when I'm scuba diving/body boarding/sailing/in the freezing cold sea that surrounds the UK

Lol too much thought into it? Seriously despite what you wear, it is soley based on the women or man on how they are "affected". A girl could be wearing jeans and a regular shirt and dude could still be lusting for her. Now am i saying dont keep in mind what you wear to the beach? NO. Do be aware. But enjoy yourself. God didn't give beaches on a hot summer to wear hot clothes rofl.

Okay. I feel like the odd one out, but I will admit that I usually wear two-piece swimsuits (one-pieces are an absolute nightmare to go to the bathroom in, ha ha). But to be fair - one covers my torso almost completely, and the one true bikini I do have honestly keeps my breasts and hips covered a lot better than even the one that covers my torso because I'm really, really curvy and there's almost nothing out there that can hide my curves adequately. Partially for that reason, I also have my mum going shopping with me, so she would (and has) told me flat-out that things I've tried on have looked fine on the rack but just aren't modest enough for her to be okay with me wearing.

But all in all, I think what matters more than the clothes you wear is how you wear them - for example, I wear the bikini I have because it's comfortable and I love the floral pattern, and when I'm wearing it I'm just swimming and having fun, not trying to show off my figure. I would be more inclined to look down on the girl in a one-piece (not full of cut-outs, just a one-piece) who's over flirting with guys than I would a girl who was playing water volleyball or something wearing a string bikini. Just my opinion, though, and that may change when I'm older. I don't know.

I believe that addressing this issue is very important, as it is something that directly pertains to so many of us, though generalizing all swimsuits into one category is very confusing/misleading. We must remember that all swimsuits are not the same. Sadly, the book of Leviticus has no swimsuit approval section. Wouldn't it be much more simple if God had someone send us an email though, like... "By the way Sarah, that swimsuit you got the other day...". I do know that, in first Timothy 2:9 it says, "Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire," I also know that 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says, "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."

So there is no simple answer, but I know that we are called to glorify God in everything that we do, to be modest and respectable, and that our body is a temple. As such is true, we should realize that most swimsuits are not designed to portray modesty, but we can certainly choose not to expose so much skin, and cover up with a towel before and afterward.

-DoodleBoy