Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Should christian teens only listen to gospel music?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Godislove405

Godislove405

Getting The Hang Of Things

• 69 posts
I'm 14 and i like to listen to like Drake, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj... etc.
they don't use the most appropriate language and might talk about sexual stuff lol...
anyways lately like since last year I've started listening to christian songs like Jesus culture, Chris Tomlin, Kari Jobe.
whenever i listen to gospel songs it just makes me want to pray and yeah... just get in the I'm a christian girl mood.
but when i listen to like hip hop or whatever in like in the lets have fun, i wanna party, i don't care what you think of me mood.
what should i do? i want to be closer to God and my pastor preached last Sunday and said that to become closer to Him you sometime have to sacrifice things like entertainment. I just don't know if i can completely sacrifice it. I've tried so many times but failed as i returned listening!

ChristianT

ChristianT

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I say you take a look at Christian Rap. Famous Christian artists include (but aren't limited to): Flame, Lecrae, Tedashii, Trip Lee, KB, Andy Mineo, Sho Baraka, 116 Clique. These artists prove that rap / hip hop isn't just for the secularists! :D I really recommend Flame's the 6th album, and many of Lecrae's, Tedashii's, and Trip Lee's albums! though so long as the other music doesn't cause you to sin or stray from God's will for you, you may still listen to it (for beat or music "value" :D). But yea, repentance includes things that you listen and watch also. But if you want to go from secular rap/hip-hop to Christian and gospel stuff, it's not just "worship music" by artists like Chris Tomlin or David Crowder.
I pray for the enthusiasm of the Pentecostal, the love of the Methodist, and the sound mind of a Baptist. :flapper: :angel:

Είμαι θεΪστής; Είμαι οπαδός του Χριστού
I am a theist; I am a follower of Christ

Ο Θεός μου είναι ένας τρομερός Θεός
My God is an awesome God

Tyro Of Sarcalogos

Tyro Of Sarcalogos

Member - 1Ker

• 3,354 posts
Do you have to listen to only Gospel music? No. Should you listen to Lil Wayne Nicki Minaj etc. No.

Thats just my opinion.

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand"

Isaiah 41:10(ESV)

CTF married to Precious!

Craigsnedeker

Craigsnedeker

Member - 1Ker

• 1,057 posts

...Lil Wayne...

Wow.. I heard one of this songs once. First words that came out of his mouth were the B and N word. I'd trash that trash.. no offense to you, I understand you like them, there's a lot of Christian bands you would like though in the same genre, but secular rap is pretty bad.

henever i listen to gospel songs it just makes me want to pray and yeah... just get in the I'm a christian girl mood.
but when i listen to like hip hop or whatever in like in the lets have fun, i wanna party, i don't care what you think of me mood.

I get both moods when I listen to Christian rap, if that makes sense Haha. Everyone defines worship different, but Christian rap makes me get hyped for God!!!
When people ask me “well how do you explain this? How can you prove this?” I don’t have to prove it to you, all I have to do is wait till reality proves it for me.
Again, you nay sayers can go head and mock, ridicule, but for those of us who knew what were looking at, after studying and researching this, based on our understanding of how they operate, we knew in our hearts, and still know.

JKAY

JKAY

Member - 1Ker

• 1,085 posts
I read somewhere that the music you listen to can change your heart rate depending on the beat...
:o
so.. just throwing out the idea that the words you unconciously listen to every day can influence what you think...

if you are a monster, stand up.       if you are a monster, a trickster, a fiend,       if you've built a steam-powered wishing machine        if you have a secret, a dark past, a scheme,

if you kidnap maidens or dabble in dreams   come stand by me.
if you have been broken, stand up.   if you have been broken, abandoned,  alone,  if you have been starving,   a creature of bone,      if you live in a tower, a dungeon, a throne

if you weep for wanting, to be held, to be known, come stand by me.
for we all have stripes, and we all have horns,  we all have scales, tails, manes, claws and thorns and here in the dark is where new worlds are born. come stand by me.  ghost.png A Monstrous Manifesto, by Catherynne M. Valente

tumblr_mzwnjxYBOx1t2yvn6o1_400.gif

AnEndlessSerenade

AnEndlessSerenade

Experienced Fellow

• 279 posts
I don't think you should limit yourself to anything. We shouldn't place ourselves in little protective boxes that entails what we can and can't do. Christian music is great but sometimes it's natural to want to listen to other songs as well and I see no problem with that. It's unheathy to exclude the outside world because you build a safety net around yourself and then when you are older, like around my age, and you see what the world out there is really like you'll get a big shock. Sometimes it's good to expose yourself to these things but there should be limit. If you listen to excessive swearing then you're brain is going to get used to it and then after a while the words just become so much more easier to say. You're 14 now and may be able to control it but when you get older it will become more difficult and this a true story cause I see it in my own life too sometimes. It's easy to swear when everyone around you swears and when the song you are listening to has a swear word. I sometimes catch myself also experiencing the "party" vibes when listening to non-Christian music and I don't think there's any danger in that feeling but your actions are what counts. There's nothing wrong with partying (maybe at your age it's a bit young) and getting a urge to have fun, as long as it's clean fun! Balance, balance, balance! I really feel like the whole don't listen to this music, don't watch that movies, don't read that books does more harm than good and I know of several people who's parents taught them these things and gave them strict rules like for example one guy's mom went through his computer every couple of days and every song he downloaded she would listen to and check the lyrics and you know what, they ended up becoming the most disturbing human beings who openly admit now that they are out of the house that they do drugs and live promiscious lives because their whole teenage lives they didn't experience teenage things. Obviously there's limitis but just know when to stop and when it's too much. Pray about it as well.

Geoffrey_2012

Geoffrey_2012

• Pip
  • 2 posts
As soon as I read what your pastor siad i thought "She must be pentecostal" lol. I'm a pentecostal as well! But your pastor is right. Now I'm not going to tell you what to listen to and what not to listen to, but I will tell you to listen to the Holy Ghost. The fact that your questioning whether or not you should listen to these things tells me that He (The Holy Ghost) is already doing a work. We as christians are called to worship. We should worship Him in all that we do. Even in the music we listen to. You know if what your listening to brings Honor to the Name of Jesus or not.. Remember, the Spirit will lead you unto all truth. Feel free to message me for a more in-depth conversation on this matter.

Atlantis

Atlantis

Member - 1Ker

• 2,742 posts
I like the idea of switching over to Christian rap. I mean, you shouldn't have to change what you like; that's your personality. But what you take in your mind will always change you. I'm not saying listen only to Christian music necessarily. I mean, I sometimes listen to other stuff like... well, okay, I can't think of a truly secular band that I listen to as frequently as I do Christian music. But that's because for about a year now, I've been hooked on the Christian radio station.

I do like some secular music, though, like Frank Turner, Flobots, Flogging Molly, 30 Seconds to Mars. But the fact is, I choose my music based on the message and I can almost assure you that you're not going to come away with anything very good listening to the rubbish that's considered mainstream rap today.

My advice: it takes 30 days to build a habit. Try listening to only Christian music for 30 days-- it doesn't have to be Chris Tomlin or Jesus Culture or any of that, either. It could be Switchfoot, or Lifehouse, Thousand Foot Krutch.... Or do like the others said, check out Christian rap. Make sure you like the music you're listening to. And I'm confident that by the end of the 30 days, you'll rather listen to Christian music than secular.

Posted Image
click here to read my 2011 nanowrimo novel

And now you've been sigtagged by me - Zabby

TJB_GoingintoBattle

TJB_GoingintoBattle

Member - 5Ker

• 5,554 posts

Do you have to listen to only Gospel music? No. Should you listen to Lil Wayne Nicki Minaj etc. No.

Thats just my opinion.

This! This!

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

I like the idea of switching over to Christian rap. I mean, you shouldn't have to change what you like; that's your personality. But what you take in your mind will always change you. I'm not saying listen only to Christian music necessarily. I mean, I sometimes listen to other stuff like... well, okay, I can't think of a truly secular band that I listen to as frequently as I do Christian music. But that's because for about a year now, I've been hooked on the Christian radio station.

I do like some secular music, though, like Frank Turner, Flobots, Flogging Molly, 30 Seconds to Mars. But the fact is, I choose my music based on the message and I can almost assure you that you're not going to come away with anything very good listening to the rubbish that's considered mainstream rap today.

My advice: it takes 30 days to build a habit. Try listening to only Christian music for 30 days-- it doesn't have to be Chris Tomlin or Jesus Culture or any of that, either. It could be Switchfoot, or Lifehouse, Thousand Foot Krutch.... Or do like the others said, check out Christian rap. Make sure you like the music you're listening to. And I'm confident that by the end of the 30 days, you'll rather listen to Christian music than secular.

AND THIS.

CTF married to one of my best friends, Marley.

lonehunter65

lonehunter65

Member - Wise One

• 661 posts
Don't listen to any legalism you might hear. There is absolutely nothing wrong with listening to whatever music you want to. There is no 'don't listen to lil wayne' commandment in the bible. That being said, it may not be good for you to listen to music that negatively influences you. It's different for different people. Some people can listen to it without a problem, and others simply can't.

Now that we are past that, I can give you endless music suggestions if you do want to listen to something else. But remember, the music doesn't have to be labeled as 'Christian' in order to be positive and uplifting. Some examples I can think of off the top of my head would be Lupe Fiasco, the Roots, and Shad. They are all rappers (well the Roots is a group, but it's all hip hop/rap music). Shad actually does have christian overtones in his music, but I wouldn't label it as 'Christian Rap'. You may really like his stuff. He is probably my favorite artist. You should definitely check out his album "TSOL" and see if you like it. Here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-mAMH5S6VA

Those guys are definitely a lot more lyricism/hip hop oriented than Drake or Lil Wayne though. If your looking for more of a pop/mainstream sound you should check out Rhema Soul or even Viktory (they both just released albums). They are both Christian artists though. Their album listening session are even still up if you want to check it out before purchasing:

http://rapzilla.com/...sion-viktory-r4

http://rapzilla.com/...-rhema-soul-red

And as has been mentioned before there is tons of Christian rappers out there. I know Reach Records guys have been mentioned, but there is tons more. One of my favorites is Humble Beast. Here's a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCSMlsBEQLg

Anyway, you obviously can tell I listen to way too much hip hop music for my own good. Hope this helped. If you need any more suggestions just let me know!

KiNG C0BRA

KiNG C0BRA

• Pip
  • 5 posts
No. No. No. and No.

Just because your christian doesnt mean you have to listen to gospel music.... Im sure God is fine with you listening to Rock, Pop, Jazz, Blues, Hip Hop etc..

Craigsnedeker

Craigsnedeker

Member - 1Ker

• 1,057 posts

And as has been mentioned before there is tons of Christian rappers out there. I know Reach Records guys have been mentioned, but there is tons more. One of my favorites is Humble Beast. Here's a taste:

Yeah, if you like rap there's endless amounts of Christian stuff to listen to.
When people ask me “well how do you explain this? How can you prove this?” I don’t have to prove it to you, all I have to do is wait till reality proves it for me.
Again, you nay sayers can go head and mock, ridicule, but for those of us who knew what were looking at, after studying and researching this, based on our understanding of how they operate, we knew in our hearts, and still know.

HaleyGirl16

HaleyGirl16

Member - 10Ker

• 10,346 posts
I chose to give up secular music 3 years ago. I switched to almost strictly Christian music. It helped strengthen my faith in God and helped me with having a godly attitude. I think there is a lot wrong with secular music. However, not all of it is bad. I do have about 3 Country music artists that I listen to. But all of my rock, hip hop and rap come from Christian artists and they relay a godly message. It's the beat I want with the message that I want, I don't have to sacrifice one or the other.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CTF Married to Will_Power

CTF Mother of TJB_GoingintoBattle, Jahsmun trueimage15, Anabeth, zia, Christopherjr, & herbiefullyloaded
CTF Mother-in-law to T.O.W.R, Wesker, & Marley
CTF Daughter of Jehovah'sDaughter
​Highly Honored and Respected by Mark

My Siggy Tags
Haley, you are an Amazing Girl, I am glad that I met you! -Evan
and defininiest my favoritest everrrrrr ~Becky
Secret ninja siggy tag skills - Will
Siggy-tagging is fun~ love Matty

WahooPunch

WahooPunch

CTF Staff

• 11,256 posts

Thats just my opinion.

THIS. You get a cookie!

When choosing my music, I try to abide by this verse: "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." (Philippians 4:8) The artists you listed - Drake, Nikki Minaj, Lil Wayne - make filthy music. I personally don't want to listen to that stuff. Songs play in my brain all day and I don't want to meditate on the dirty things they 'rap' about in their songs. Having siad that, there is music sung by artists who are not Christians and it's beautiful, clean stuff.

·!¦[· Psalm 91 ·]¦!·

Matt_05

Matt_05

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I only listen to Christian music but you don't have to. There is nothing wrong with listening to secular music as long as it is appropriate. But listening to only christian music is a good thing to do. I recommend that you try listening to only Christian music for a few days and see if it makes any differences. If you want to continue, you can; if you don't want to, you don't have to.

Lion_Angel

Lion_Angel

Member - 1Ker

• 1,761 posts
Music does have an effect on us. We have to know ourselves well enough to know when we shouldn't be listening to a certain artist/band. For example, there are times when I know my spirit does not need to be listening to Pink Floyd. Other times, I can.

If the music you like listening to makes you feel rebellious or like you don't know Christ, why even listen to it? You have to be honest with yourself. That being said, there are Christian hip-hop artists out there (TobyMac is a famous guy, look him up.)

"Putting on a new self" isn't easy. A lot of the times we like to think that "putting on a new self" means simply changing everything we don't like about ourselves. But it means, changing everything God doesn't like about our old nature.

[SIGPIC]Posted Image[/SIGPIC]

lonehunter65

lonehunter65

Member - Wise One

• 661 posts

THIS. You get a cookie!
The artists you listed - Drake, Nikki Minaj, Lil Wayne - make filthy music.

I'm sorry, but please remember that that is your opinion.

Atlantis

Atlantis

Member - 1Ker

• 2,742 posts

And I'm sorry, but I just looked at a random sample from each of the artists in question. One song mentioned a girl dancing like she's trying to prostitute her way into college; meanwhile the chorus was all about how Drake is soooo great and everything. Which, by the way, why would anyone want to listen to a song where the central focus was the arrogance of the singer himself? That kind of attitude just makes me angry. The next song again, glorifies the lead singer, Nicki Minaj and talks about how apparently she's way better than all the girls hanging off these other rappers. And finally, the Lil Wayne song was literally entirely about using drugs.

Like... how is that going to bring you closer to Christ? And better yet, don't you think it's more likely to drive you away? Like I said before, whatever you let yourself take in is exactly what you will become. The influences we place around us are so powerful they can change our hearts without us even realizing it. Don't believe me? Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQjr1YL0zg

Posted Image
click here to read my 2011 nanowrimo novel

And now you've been sigtagged by me - Zabby

TJB_GoingintoBattle

TJB_GoingintoBattle

Member - 5Ker

• 5,554 posts

And I'm sorry, but I just looked at a random sample from each of the artists in question. One song mentioned a girl dancing like she's trying to prostitute her way into college; meanwhile the chorus was all about how Drake is soooo great and everything. Which, by the way, why would anyone want to listen to a song where the central focus was the arrogance of the singer himself? That kind of attitude just makes me angry. The next song again, glorifies the lead singer, Nicki Minaj and talks about how apparently she's way better than all the girls hanging off these other rappers. And finally, the Lil Wayne song was literally entirely about using drugs.

Like... how is that going to bring you closer to Christ? And better yet, don't you think it's more likely to drive you away? Like I said before, whatever you let yourself take in is exactly what you will become. The influences we place around us are so powerful they can change our hearts without us even realizing it. Don't believe me? Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQjr1YL0zg

You've grown <3

CTF married to one of my best friends, Marley.

Nicene Nerd

Nicene Nerd

CTF Staff

• 3,212 posts

I agree with Dee. It's not a matter of opinion, anyway. Sexual immorality, arrogance, drugs, drunkenness, insults, revilings and the other things celebrated in artists like these are, most Biblically, filth. So if these are filth, then songs that glorify or even simply condone them are filth.

I also agree with Dee in that I think secular music can be good when it follows the guidelines of Philippians 4:8. This is one of many reasons that I very much love Owl City. It is always clean and uplifting, and even when not religious, it is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent, and praiseworthy (not to mention the occasional Christian song like "Galaxies," "Kamikaze," and "Meteor Shower").
"The world was made so that Christ might be born." ~ David Fergusson

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor

Maybe Caleb doesn't hate babies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users