Sign in to follow this  
tyajoy

Summer Reading Ideas?

So I've been looking at my bookcase a lot lately and realizing that I have almost NOTHING to read for the summer and that [for me at least] is terrible. I'm a total book nerd so thinking about a whole summer without anything to read except for books I've already read is like torture.

Do you guys have any favorite books? Books you would recommend?

[i plan on making a trip to the library/bookstore sometime soon]

books can be Christian or nonChristian, but I would prefer Christian although I'm really open to anything. Thanks!

The Dreamhouse Kings is a very good series.

I also enjoyed the Percy Jackson series.

Well, now that I have time for reading whatever I want to, I was thinking of reading the books that were on Oprah's Summer Reading List (2011). The list is pretty diverse.

Outlaw by John Eldredge

Love Does by Bob Goff

Anything by Donald Miller

Any of those books are amazing!

I read a lot of fantasy type books.

I'm gonna read the book Graceling. You could try that :)

Other ideas.

The Hunger Games (if you havent already)

Any book by Rick Riordan

The Secrets of Immortal Nicholas Flamel series

Thirteen Reasons Why (Great Book)

The Uglies Series (I havent read it, but it looks good)

The Mortal Instruments Series (Again, I havent read it but it looks good)

Does anyone have any books that are real life situations but are christian books, involve God? Fiction books, but have a Christian story behind them?

@PittsburgJake - I haven't read a whole lot in the category but if you haven't read "Heaven is For Real" I would really suggest it.

Actually I have read it, and I loved it. If you liked that, read 90 minutes in heaven

My favorite Christian author is Ted Dekker. I would highly recommend any of his books, though they are more suspenseful and can be graphic.

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton is a personal favorite.

So I've been looking at my bookcase a lot lately and realizing that I have almost NOTHING to read for the summer and that [for me at least] is terrible. I'm a total book nerd so thinking about a whole summer without anything to read except for books I've already read is like torture.

Do you guys have any favorite books? Books you would recommend?

[i plan on making a trip to the library/bookstore sometime soon]

books can be Christian or nonChristian, but I would prefer Christian although I'm really open to anything. Thanks!

I'm a book nerd too!! :D.

I'm currently re-reading the Narnia series...I also highly recommend The Princess Bride. It's my all-time favorite story.

Best Christian Fiction EVERRRR: Jenny B Jones, Charmed Life Series. They just came out with the series in one book. Three books for 12.99!

I've read them over and over, countless times!

If you're looking for Christianish fiction, might I suggest The Jerusalem Man trilogy by David Gemmell?

Wolf in Shadow (easily my favourite Gemmell book)

The Last Guardian

Bloodstone (I haven't actually read this one yet)

Or Gemmell's Rigante Series?

The Sword in the Storm

Midnight Falcon (This is a good one for anyone who finds the Christian church in Ancient Rome an interesting subject).

Ravenheart (Good for anyone interested in the Scottish War of Independence).

Stormrider

The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher is well worth a read, as is the Samuil Petrovitch trilogy by Simon Morden (Equations of Life, Theories of Flight, Degrees of Freedom). All great books- not specifically Christian, but just brilliant fiction. :)

Does anyone have any books that are real life situations but are christian books, involve God? Fiction books, but have a Christian story behind them?

I would reccommend Blessed Child and A Man Called Blessed both by Ted Dekker, as well as the true story "God's Sumuggler". Also the Chronicles of Narnia.

Oh, You guys I just read the greatest book!! It's called "Notes from a spinning planet--Ireland" by Melody Carlson. (I actually read it all in one day...I couldn't put it down!) It's a Christian fiction book with a great storyline and a great message as well!! Just thought I'd share! :D.

some great books:

Pride and prejudice

Anne of green gables and the remainder of the series (I like Anne of the island best!)

The positronic man if you have ever wanted to read GOOD sci fi

The disappearing spoon if you are curious about history's relationship with science. Very non-science-person friendly and makes chemistry interesting :3

Those are some of my favorite books recently, I am a weird sort.

Oh, You guys I just read the greatest book!! It's called "Notes from a spinning planet--Ireland" by Melody Carlson. (I actually read it all in one day...I couldn't put it down!) It's a Christian fiction book with a great storyline and a great message as well!! Just thought I'd share! :D.

OHMYGOSH! I just read that too! I LOVED it!! Melody Carlson is one of my favorite Christian authors. If you liked that one, you should read the rest of the series [i believe it is "Notes from a spinning planet - Papa New Guinea" and "Notes from a spinning planet - Mexico"] and her True Colors series is really good too! [it deals with all sorts of problems that teens today run into and the characters are all really awesome, I really enjoyed them]

OHMYGOSH! I just read that too! I LOVED it!! Melody Carlson is one of my favorite Christian authors. If you liked that one, you should read the rest of the series [i believe it is "Notes from a spinning planet - Papa New Guinea" and "Notes from a spinning planet - Mexico"] and her True Colors series is really good too! [it deals with all sorts of problems that teens today run into and the characters are all really awesome, I really enjoyed them]

She's quickly becoming one of my favorites! It turns out I had a book of hers on my bookshelf that I had forgotten about! It's called "Diary of a Teenage Girl". :). I'm going to try to find the rest of her "Notes from a Spinning Planet" series! Her books are so relate able, I LOVE them!

For Girls: Captivating by John & Staci Eldredge

For Guys: Wild at Heart by John Eldredge

I would highly recommend the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R R Martin. Most people will have heard of it because it has been made into a HBO show entitled Game of Thrones (which is the name of Book 1 of the series). For anyone who likes fantasy and even those who don't, it is a riveting book.

This is a new look at fantasy, there are no obvious heroes and villains, the characters are delicately crafted. They are much more real. Also some fantasy elements such as magic and elves etc have been very toned down, which helps it be much more believable. The only race in the book are humans.

Also the style is brilliant. The book is written from the viewpoint of 5/6 main character and each chapter is simply named by the name of the character we are with now, this layout made me fly through the book and also gives it a very epic feel to read about so many characters, all intertwined!

Also as a great life-affirming book I would highly recommend A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, by Donald Miller. It is about a man who suddenly realises that his life is boring, and so he sets out to turn his life into a "story". This will really inspire you!

How about The Secret Life of Samantha McGregor series by Melody Carlson? For non-Christian, I would reccomend The Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale, The Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima, and Bella at Midnight and The Silver Bowl, both by Diane Stanley. These are all amazing books!