Sign in to follow this  
tyajoy

Summer Reading Ideas?

Or, if you're a Dickens fan (like me), have you ever read A Tale of Two Cities? It's one of the most inspiring redemption stories in the world, I think! Almost as good as Les Miserables. :) But you'd have to have a lot of summer on your hands to tackle Les Mis, what with Hugo's habit of delivering the life story of Every. Random. Character. :P

For Girls: Captivating by John & Staci Eldredge

For Guys: Wild at Heart by John Eldredge

I would argue that both of those books are good for both guys and girls to read. Seriously, I read Captivating and my mind = blown.

Does it have to be fiction, or can it be non-fiction? I do not really read fiction books anymore. The only fiction I read are fan-fiction stories. They tend to be dialogue-oriented as opposed to action and thick description, so I find myself getting more engrossed in them. So, if you don't mind reading non-fiction, I am able to recommend some really cool books.

I would highly recommend the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R R Martin. Most people will have heard of it because it has been made into a HBO show entitled Game of Thrones (which is the name of Book 1 of the series). For anyone who likes fantasy and even those who don't, it is a riveting book.

This is a new look at fantasy, there are no obvious heroes and villains, the characters are delicately crafted. They are much more real. Also some fantasy elements such as magic and elves etc have been very toned down, which helps it be much more believable. The only race in the book are humans.

Also the style is brilliant. The book is written from the viewpoint of 5/6 main character and each chapter is simply named by the name of the character we are with now, this layout made me fly through the book and also gives it a very epic feel to read about so many characters, all intertwined!

Also as a great life-affirming book I would highly recommend A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, by Donald Miller. It is about a man who suddenly realises that his life is boring, and so he sets out to turn his life into a "story". This will really inspire you!

An ABSOLUTELY GREAT series that makes watching tv meaningful again. No lie, no kidding :P

I recommend Madame Bovary, Great Expectations, the Tenth Circle