Sign in to follow this  
Godislove405

Should I go to a public high school or a Christian high school for my sophomore year?

I moved to a different city like 3 weeks ago but for now I'm still going to my current school. I'm zoned for a public school like 10 minutes away from my house. But there's also a Christian high school like around the corner. I have no idea which school I should go to as I have never been to a private or Christian school but I'm not a big fan of public school. What should I do? Where can I find good trustworthy friends and have a blast for my sophomore year?

You might like the Christian school, you might not. The ones I've been to have been fairly cliquey but it really depends. I liked them anyway.

I went to public school all my life. I've never really had a problem with it, though sometimes I wished I went to a Christian school just because 'everyone there is a Christian' (or mostly everyone). There are pros and cons to both schools.

I want to go to a Christian school but I'm Homeschooled Which is just as good I guess.

I moved to a different city like 3 weeks ago but for now I'm still going to my current school. I'm zoned for a public school like 10 minutes away from my house. But there's also a Christian high school like around the corner. I have no idea which school I should go to as I have never been to a private or Christian school but I'm not a big fan of public school. What should I do? Where can I find good trustworthy friends and have a blast for my sophomore year?

Well, I'm sure at both a public and a Christian school you can find good, trustworthy friends. But, if your already not a fan of public school you may not like it then. Also, Christian schools are usually smaller than public schools and sometimes a little more welcoming if your transferring from another school. Finally, at public high school there will be kids that don't uphold your beliefs and values as a Christian. While at a Christian school most people there have a set of values and beliefs similar to yours. That's just my two cents, but I'm sure you will make the right choice.

Good luck!

Chilah

Where do you want to go? Either way, the Lord will teach you valuable lessons.

(I personally find Christian high schools rather distasteful for a few reasons. But it doesn't matter what I think--it's your decision.) If a Christian hs is the direction you want to take, then go for it.

Just remember that just because it's a Christian high school, people are still sinners, and you will need to be equally steadfast in your faith in either place. :)

Public school for me was amazing. It gave me many opportunities to share my faith in unique ways and to be an example to my peers.

-Gribbles

I've been to both. I personally enjoy public school more, but I don't regret going to the Christian school.

I went to a Christian school in middle school. At the Christian schools, every subject is taught from a Christian perspective. It's really neat because it gives you a whole new appreciation for certain areas of life. You'd also have some sort of Bible class that will teach you a lot more about God, and probably chapel at least a couple times a week. It's wonderful, but don't use this as an excuse to not have your own personal "Jesus time". And no, not everyone at the Christian school is really a Christian. Especially in high school when kids start to rebel against their parents and school's teachings. You'll also come across people who are incredibly sheltered. The people there TEND to be cliquey, but then you will feel more like a family. Christians schools tend to be smaller, too. Like I said, it feels more like family, but then that also means gossip will spread wayyy faster. The part I miss the most about the Christian schools is the teachers. A lot of them have amazing insight into how to live like Christ and just life in general. I mean, almost all of them are like this. You can tell they really enjoy their job and that's where God has called them; they aren't in it for the money only. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for some of my public school teachers...

I go to a public school now. *DISCLAIMER* I live in a very conservative town, so the "public school" is still pretty open to Christianity. The majority of the teachers and kids are Christians. K. Most courses are taught from a pretty unbiased, factual perspective. Or sometimes you'll have a very liberal teacher. This can be frustrating if they're teaching something unbiblical, but it helps you stand your ground and strengthen your faith. Like others have said, it's more of a "mission field". You will have the opportunity to meet arguably MORE genuine Christians at public school than you would at a private school, as well as befriend and interact with people of lesser or even no faith. Just don't get sucked into the non-believer's traps. The school will probably be bigger, so you won't get to know everyone personally, but that also means that unless you're super-popular, you won't have to deal with so much drama and gossip. Public schools, since they're larger and tend to have more funding, will also offer more academic and sports opportunities than most private schools. I find that the public school atmosphere tends to be more laid-back than private school, but that may just be my school.

Definitely pray a lot about your decision (though I'm probably too late). Another thing to consider is what you want to do in high school. Are you wanting to be in musicals? Choir? Do certain sports? Clubs? Certain elective courses aimed to prepare you for a career you wanna go into? It's no secret that certain schools are better at certain things than others. Pick the school that caters best to your dreams and interests.

First of all, get your parents opinion. They'll be the ones potentially paying for whatever school you go to. But in the end is it up to you.

With public schools... there are more chances to share your faith. Plus, it teaches one to tolerate other religions/faiths. But the kids at public school can be very brutal for Christians. Then there's the obvious "it's free" aspect, but if money isn't a huge concern, then, well, consider Christian school.

As for Christian schools... they are smaller, so like Mels said, they tend to be cliquey-er. But I've seen how they can negatively affect your relationship with God. When people at a public school have sex and do drugs, at least you can say "yeah, that's wrong on all levels". But when friends start pressuring you into believing things about God that are unholy/untrue - you don't know whether to believe it's right or not. So... yeah. Personally, I would go with public school, because it's a true test to see how you can keep your faith among unbelievers. Whatever you decide, I hope it goes well for you. :3