Sign in to follow this  
HaleyGirl16

Pray for Baby Delcardo

Hey guys, got a very serious prayer request.

The babies name is Delcardo. He lives in Haiti at an orphanage. Our former pastor's sister and her family run it, and he's been down there several times. Delcardo is very very sick. His tongue is swollen to the size of a baseball, he can't even close his mouth, his throat is too small and his airway is beginning to be obstructed. He's started having trouble sleeping and breathing and he's losing weight because he can't eat much (he's almost 10 months old and still on a bottle). The doctor's in Haiti can't help him. Birmingham Children's Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama has agreed to do surgery for him as a charity case. They want him here in the United States by next week.

They are afraid that traveling could be dangerous since he is so sick and so weak. Please pray that he makes it here safe and strong enough for surgery. Please pray that nothing goes wrong and nothing changes and they can still do surgery when he get's here. Pray that they have no trouble getting him out of Haiti and bringing him to the United States. Without the surgery or a miraculous healing from God, he probably won't be here for his 1st birthday. Please keep the whole situation in your prayers as well as all the people involved including baby Delcardo.

Thank you! I'll update ASAP ^_^

Since Haley left she asked me to update you all on Delcardo. Sister Julie (Haley's former pastor's sister who helps run the orphanage Delcardo is at) left Tennessee to go back to Haiti yesterday. She flew out of Miami last night or earlier today and made it to Mierbalais, Haiti about 4 or 5 hours ago. Delcardo has been doing good, no changes in his condition. She has a meeting with the US Embassy at 7:00am tomorrow to get his visa.

So keep praying that everything goes good please and that he gets his visa and can leave with her to be at BCH in Alabama some time this week. I'm going to update this thread from now on probably, so I'll let everyone know what is going on and how he's doing.

Another update from Haley.

Delcardo arrived at Birmingham Children's Hospital about 2 & 1/2 weeks ago. He has had a tracheotomy and a feeding tube put in so that he can gain weight and breath easy. They have drained his tongue so it's already a lot smaller. He was originally diagnosed with Lymphatic Malformation of the tongue and a series of surgeries was planned over the course of 6 months to a year.

They found out within the past 24 hours that instead of having Lymphatic Malformation like they thought when Delcardo came to the USA, he has a Ranula. A ranula is a benign (not cancerous) cyst in the salivary gland. It's basically a clogged up saliva gland. So instead of a series of surgeries and 6 months to a year in and out of hospitals and rehab; Delcardo has one surgery tomorrow. After they remove the cyst tomorrow, they will monitor him and make sure everything goes ok and he's eating. Then they will remove the tracheotomy and the feeding tube and he'll be back on his way to Haiti. Instead of a 6 month to one year stay, now they are looking at 1-4 more weeks.

Haley said thank you to everyone who has been praying. God is really touching this baby above and beyond all expectations. Continue to pray for him. As soon as Haley hears anything else, I'll update again.

So, this will be my last update on Delcardo, and it's another praise.

Drain tube is out, feeding tube is out, trach is out. He's gained weight, his tongue is a little big but almost down to normal size. He's breathing on his own, crawling, pulling up, eating baby food and being introduced to solids, has 2 teeth trying to come in, and has started making babbling sounds.

Sadly, his parents told the missionary who brought him here that they didn't want him back. Not because they didn't love him, but because they wanted him to have a better life than they could give him, with better doctors, good food, and a chance at a future. He's in the process of being adopted here in the US, and they've also started the papers to make him a US citizen.

He's doing well and living as a normal child. Thank you for your prayers for baby Delcardo.

After reading and following the story, I felt tears fill my eyes and my heart ache for this boy. I'm am SO happy that he is okay. Praise God for watching over this little boy. My heart still goes out to him and his parents. I cannot imagine giving up my son, just as I imagine he would be heart broken. That's a very very hard thing to do, but in the long run it will benefit him. His parents must really love him. My prayers still are with him. I do hope he finds a loving family.