Sign in to follow this  
PurplePaint

Talking about sex in church...

Would you attend your a sex education class provided by your church?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend your a sex education class provided by your church?

• Yes
    • No
    • That's not for the church to discuss.
    • I'm not sure.
    • Other (Please comment below)

I've been trying to find a church home and I was wondering why social issues (I.e. sex, abortion, homosexuality, etc.) aren't addressed in church. Maybe it's because I'm a "church hopper" and I've missed those sermons or maybe I'm choosing the wrong churches. These are MAJOR issues in our world today, and I feel the church should address them. If I ran a church, I would want to educate my members on fornication, contraception, how to avoid temptation, marital sex, abortion, and homosexuality. (And whatever else I can think of)

I had sex ed in high school, but I was told if you have questions to ask your parents or look it up. (I was too embarrassed to ask my parents, so I looked it up. :blushing:) I learned even more my senior year when I took Anatomy & Physiology.

---

My parents never talked to me about sex growing up, I learned everything that I know by google searching anything I heard at school, and by meeting wrong people online and getting in lots of trouble. I strongly agree that these topics should be spoken about in church because people need to understand God's view and why, and they need to feel safe talking about things like this. Thankfully, there is one woman at my church that has openly offered to talk about sex with me and she has answered every question that I've asked honestly and lovingly. I have lots of questions because I was sexually abused by an ex boyfriend and so I've never seen the truth of what God wanted sex to be. It sincerely helps when people will openly talk about it with you, especially when you don't have outlets to turn to.

I think that the difference in how churches approach it, as compared to your school's sex ed, is your school is going to look at only the scientific, physical part of sex. It's very direct on "how things work". However, a church is going to address sex the way God intended, which is through a relationship. That means you won't see any sermons entitled "God and sex 101", but rather "God and relationships 101". For churches, sex is not the primary topic. Sex is a subtopic to the relationship.

That being said, do I think there's anything with churches "marketing" or "branding" discussions on sex a bit differently to draw a crowd, make an impact, and get young people in front of Godly pastors who can educate them? Not at all, I think it'd be a great idea.

You make some valid points, there are lots of topics to be addressed that I'm not sure churches do a great job of doing. However, I'm not convinced that a church should have a pastor doing a 'main service' on these topics. A youth or young-people group, definitely not a bad idea. Even college level groups could address these things. The reason I'm suggesting targeting it a bit more is I just can't envision your typical pastor talking about these things (I mean...would you want him too!?).

Also, there's a lot of controversy surrounding these topics and many churches don't want to turn people off by saying the wrong (or right...) things and offending people. Thus they chose to avoid the topic and let parishioners discover / decide on their own.

I agree that maybe a normaly sunday sermon shouldn't be on this. However I think it's an excellent idea to provide classes for youth, young adults, and maybe even single adults, where they could openly ask questions and feel safe in doing so.

I agree that this is a discussion topic that is suitable for church. As others said, Christians need to know the truth about all of this. :)

My youth service actually had a doctor come in and explain different STD's and how the best way to protect yourself is not to have sex at all. It was a year or two ago, I think. Anyway we've frequently had series on the subject, mainly because the youth group starts at around age 13 but also because it's something pretty much everyone goes through.

So to answer the question, I basically already have. It was pretty cool.

While I don't think they need a whole sermon about it, I agree that the church should offer at least some sort of class.

Thankfully, I was so blessed to have Christian parents who taught me the basics and to attend a Christian school during my middle school years who taught things in more detail, but from the Christian perspective. I wish all teens could have this; after having one more sex ed class in high school (taught by teachers who were Christians, but restricted by public school laws...though they still did an amazing job), I think people need more reasons than "uhhh it's smart" or "you could get pregs or crabs".