Welcome to Christian Teen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Notes on Matthew 11:28-30 from Morning Sermon

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Nicene Nerd

Nicene Nerd

CTF Staff

• 3,148 posts

Matthew 11:28-30
“Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 All of you, take up My yoke and learn from Me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for yourselves. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Come to me - This is always the call of Christ. He bids us come to the Well, the Fountain of Life.
Coming is always believing. To believe in Jesus Christ is to come to Him and trust in Him for salvation.
Who must come? The weary. Who are the weary? Those who have tired of seeking life in the world, and recognize their need for rest. When we are sick of our own efforts and find that we need Jesus Christ, we are weary enough to come.
Who must come? The burdened. Who are the burdened? Those who feel the weight of their sin and the demands of the Law, and so realize they need someone to take it all away.
I will give you rest - Jesus removes the burden, He stops the working, and He gives refreshment for the pain. Jesus sets us free and gives us the ability to live lightly. Finally, we enter into the eternal Sabbath rest, the beatific vision.
We must repent. Coming to Jesus means forsaking the sin and self.
I need to give up on my efforts and abandon myself to Christ. Too much of my own power has gone into my disciplines lately, and I need to let it go.
Take up My yoke - Each of us has our own yoke, made specifically for us. God gives me my own job, my own life, made especially for me to do. And this yoke is so light. It is not hard to carry, so long as we keep our eyes on the prize. If we focus on the yoke, it will seem too heavy, but if we focus on the goal, we will barely notice the yoke. Unlike the yoke of the Pharisees and others, this does not oppress. It is light because it is made of few rules and few regulations. It is love and faith.
Learn from Me - Jesus' yoke is truth, and He calls us to come to Him and learn from Him. We are disciples of the heavenly Rabbi. We learn from Him who He is and how to be like Him.
Because I am gentle and humble in heart - Jesus has all power, but He restrains Himself for our benefit. He corrects us slowly and in small doses, not overloading us with discipline all at once. Jesus is humble, so He will not lord His power over us in tyranny, but be a benevolent and loving King who uses His power to help us. Jesus doesn't use His authority to make us look pitiful, but He became as nothing so that we could be brought to His glory.
Our rest, our gentle and humble rest, comes with total dependence on God. When we offer it all to Him indiscriminately and hold no reservations, but trust Him for each and every moment, we are free.
"The world was made so that Christ might be born." ~ David Fergusson

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor

Maybe Caleb doesn't hate babies.

ME!!!

ME!!!

Experienced Fellow

• 177 posts

Take up My yoke - Each of us has our own yoke, made specifically for us. God gives me my own job, my own life, made especially for me to do. And this yoke is so light. It is not hard to carry, so long as we keep our eyes on the prize. If we focus on the yoke, it will seem too heavy, but if we focus on the goal, we will barely notice the yoke. Unlike the yoke of the Pharisees and others, this does not oppress. It is light because it is made of few rules and few regulations. It is love and faith.

I enjoyed this! is something I often find myself doing, focusing on the yoke rather than on Christ. I look at what I know He is commanding me to do and think it is going to be so hard. I try to focus on Christ alone, but still my focus turns to the things that I consider hard. It is only through relying on Christ that these things become simple. Things that are not possible become not only possible, but also simple through faith and reliance on Christ.

Skye

Skye

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
I love this verse. I'm the kind of person that's wants do do everything on my own. When you have the burden of always trying to work it all out but yourself, it literlly weighs you down. I'm so happy Christ gives us rest!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users