Sign in to follow this  
Nicene Nerd

Why do you give in to lust?

It occurred to me recently that this is a vital question to actually combating lust effectively. Most of the time in my experience, and I assume that of many others, attempts to combat lust are directed at noticed lustful thoughts and activities directly. But this is as insufficient as killing grass by cutting it. The root is still there, and the root will make it grow back. To sustain any level of victory over lust, a deeper approach is needed.

When I first realized this, I thought back to the times I've given in, considered the context, and traced the last thought and last feeling I had before making the decision. It didn't take long to identify my issue: I felt inevitably defeated in the battle, so I gave in at first temptation. That's also what would make it worse if I had already started to fall; I felt like it was too late and I had no power to stop. This isn't, I have found, a problem with my view of myself, but my faith in God. God tells me that His Holy Spirit dwells in me and joins me with Jesus Christ, giving me everything I need to fight temptation and win. God tells me that the victory has been won, and that I am no longer a slave to sin. Yet I haven't believed Him. As soon as I realized this, I knew what to do. For the past two days I've been studying Romans 6 and Romans 8 to fuel my faith in the sanctifying power of the Spirit within me. These two verses now grip my thoughts:

Romans 6:6 - "For we know that our old self was crucified with Him in order that sin’s dominion over the body may be abolished, so that we may no longer be enslaved to sin."

Romans 6:11 - "So, you too consider yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus."

So my advice is to think back and dig up the root of your failures. Find out why you give into lust, and take the battle there. May God give you victory!

Sign in to follow this