Sign in to follow this  
HaleyGirl16

Questions for Australians :)

We're not rude.

Yes we are.

We are very friendly and nice.

No we're not.

It's just that we cannot handle arrogance, stupidity or poor thought processes. We're just forward. But rude is certainly not the right word.

Your version of 'forward' is the PC version of rude.

That's wrong. Maybe in Radelaide, but I was born and raised in Melbourne, which is extremely accepting of everyone from every nation and culture and skin colour. Sydney has also become much more progressive these days, and Perth is one of the most multicultural cities I've ever been to.

I'd say Sydney is the worst. Cronulla 05? Racial rapes? It's still bad, pretty much everywhere. Also being from a minority population I know all about racism, thanks very much.

I'm advising her of the GENERAL population of Australia. General. Not certain awesome enclaves of Labor voters. Generally, people here are dumb, drunk and racist.

They don't want to be there? Mate, you know better than that. They can be very friendly and pleasant, but again, it's that we don't take well to peoples ignorance. We're a very independent country, as we have a very minimal service industry compared to other countries, so we are used to doing things on our own, rather than asking others. It's about adapting to that mindset, independence.

You go to a restaurant, you expect service. In the US, you get it. Here, you don't, unless you pay through the nose. Don't say that's wrong. Seriously.

Aaaaand we would've been all speaking Japanese if we didn't ask the US for help in WWII, and we're still got the Queen as our head of gov't. What was that about our mindset of independence? pffffffffft

Again, I don't know what it's like in Radelaide, but people take pride in their fashion. And we certainly don't hate NZ, at all.

No one calls it Radelaide. That's sooooo 2004.

We don't take pride in our fashion. Go look down Rundle Mall on any summer day. Fact. Come on man.

Are you even Australian? Everyone hates NZ. They speak weird and they kick our butt in rugby. They have lots of sheep and are hobbits. Fact.

I don't know where you're pulling a lot of this information from, but it sounds like someone has a bitter taste in their mouth.

That's really rude... oh wait, forward ;)

About 5-6 years ago I shared the same viewpoints as you but now I don't. It isn't about me saying this is exactly how it is. It's looking at it from an American perspective (wife) compared to their society, and also growing up, owning a house and living in the real Australia, not the sheltered existence of my parents' place. Read my first paragraph for some perspective in to this.

Yes we are.

No we're not.

Your version of 'forward' is the PC version of rude.

I'd say Sydney is the worst. Cronulla 05? Racial rapes? It's still bad, pretty much everywhere. Also being from a minority population I know all about racism, thanks very much.

I'm advising her of the GENERAL population of Australia. General. Not certain awesome enclaves of Labor voters. Generally, people here are dumb, drunk and racist.

You go to a restaurant, you expect service. In the US, you get it. Here, you don't, unless you pay through the nose. Don't say that's wrong. Seriously.

Aaaaand we would've been all speaking Japanese if we didn't ask the US for help in WWII, and we're still got the Queen as our head of gov't. What was that about our mindset of independence? pffffffffft

No one calls it Radelaide. That's sooooo 2004.

We don't take pride in our fashion. Go look down Rundle Mall on any summer day. Fact. Come on man.

Are you even Australian? Everyone hates NZ. They speak weird and they kick our butt in rugby. They have lots of sheep and are hobbits. Fact.

That's really rude... oh wait, forward ;)

About 5-6 years ago I shared the same viewpoints as you but now I don't. It isn't about me saying this is exactly how it is. It's looking at it from an American perspective (wife) compared to their society, and also growing up, owning a house and living in the real Australia, not the sheltered existence of my parents' place. Read my first paragraph for some perspective in to this.

How do you manage to hate everything and everyone including New Zealand?

We hate losing to new zealand and people enjoy cracking a few jokes about them but that's just a bit of brotherly love. No one actually hates them, apart from you apparently.

I'm sorry if Radelaide is rubbing you the wrong way but I pretty much disagree with all of your observations of general Australians. I'm sorry if you've found yourself in some horrendous bogan subculture and the only local restaurant you have is Sizzler but apart from your comments about odd fashion I've never lived in the Australia that you describe. Good luck with moving to the glorious US of A!

In your concern about dangerous creatures in Australia, you forgot about saltwater crocodiles. They're also very dangerous if you go to the regions where they live.

Firstly, you'll learn in your first year a few things. Firstly, that Australians are some of the most rudest people in the world. We will tell you if you're acting stupid. We will tell you if your thought process is a bit lacking. We will tell you that you are American and therefore have no idea of the world. We will also tell you all of this mixed in with a LOT of swearing.

People swear a lot, but we aren't the rudest people in the world by a long stretch.

Secondly, we're the most racist people in the world - including to ourselves. We're a very multicultural country, and it's almost a rite of passage for new immigrants to be vilified for their race, then their children to take on that vilification/racism as a source of identity. Therefore, many people will be blatantly racist against you, the US citizen. It will be unfounded. It will be stupid. You will hear the most bent US facts you will ever hear. Just don't try to take it on personally, and don't try to question the Australian's logic because there usually isn't any.

Not true by any stretch. There's no racial vilification. We just don't like illegal immigrants and how weak our leadership in name only is in regards to properly dealing with them.

Our people in shops are extremely rude, because they don't want to be there.

No.

Our government is slow-acting compared to US government (this IS true).

Probably, although the current "leadership" being the ALP doesn't help.

Everyone dresses like as if someone tore their clothes off. All swearing is allowed on TV after 5pm. We hate New Zealand.

No, maybe, no. There'll be kiwi jokes on occasion, but no true "hatred."

We're a highly bureaucratic society. We do not have the right to free speech, or the right to bear arms. We're highly regulated, as mentioned before.

Possibly, correct, and correct.

How do you manage to hate everything and everyone including New Zealand?

We hate losing to new zealand and people enjoy cracking a few jokes about them but that's just a bit of brotherly love. No one actually hates them, apart from you apparently.

Well their airline is nice.

I'm sorry if you've found yourself in some horrendous bogan subculture and the only local restaurant you have is Sizzler but apart from your comments about odd fashion I've never lived in the Australia that you describe.

That's an awful generalisation of me. I grew up in the bloody awesome and snob-city part of Adelaide called the leafy eastern suburbs. We had a butler. Our driveway was lined with $100 bills. Why? Because we're amazing.

Also, Adelaide doesn't have any Sizzler's. Nice research that.

Good luck with moving to the glorious US of A!

Can't wait!

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

In your concern about dangerous creatures in Australia, you forgot about saltwater crocodiles. They're also very dangerous if you go to the regions where they live.

True. Are there any in resi areas? I can't think of any. Sort of thinking like the Everglades in Florida, that sort of thing.

People swear a lot, but we aren't the rudest people in the world by a long stretch.
][/b]Not true by any stretch. There's no racial vilification. We just don't like illegal immigrants and how weak our leadership in name only is in regards to properly dealing with them.

There's plenty of racism. Come on.

No.

Yeah so what all workers are friendly and nice? Prove me wrong.

Probably' date=' although the current "leadership" being the ALP doesn't help.[/quote']

I'm a staunch Lib voter but I don't think it's the current gov'ts fault. It is taken from a British standard of government, where unions clog the arteries of business and screw up everything.

No, maybe, no. There'll be kiwi jokes on occasion, but no true "hatred."

I guess there's no hatred. We just hate England. Yeah. England. England sucks.

Possibly, correct, and correct.

Lovely.

Like I said, this is all from an AMERICAN viewpoint, not my own - well a bit of it is but most of it is from the Missus. So don't get all hoity toity about it and defensive, because it's true.

_Deal_with_it_dog.gif

No way are we hostile to Americans. And it determines where you live. If you go to somewhere out in the bush then you're chances of seeing a snake would be more likely than in the city.

Hey everyone :)

My questions (yes they are all legitimate no matter how stupid they sound):

1. Snakes & spiders, how common are they? Is it one of these things that you have random tarantulas crawling through the parks? Do they often get in people's houses? What areas should I avoid if I wish to reduce a chance encounter with a snake or spider? Same way with other wildlife.
  2. If I travel to Australia, am I in for a major culture shock? If so, how? What are some things (if there are any) that are unique to Australia in the way people live, dress, act, ect?
  3. What's the weather like? Lot's of rain, extremely hot, extremely cold, lots of storms? Describe the weather conditions to me during each season of the year.
  4. Earthquakes- How common are they? How strong are they if they do occur?
  5. Anti-American/American hostile? Obviously every country has people who think they are the master country or master race or that foreigners are terrible people or whatever. But for the majority of people, how do Australians in general feel about people from America? Are most foreigners welcomed with open arms? Are most people hostile to Americans? Is it safe for Americans (particularly young women like myself) to visit? Is it easy to blend in for the most part?
  6. What are some activities that I should definitely try or definitely avoid if I choose Australia for study abroad? Any specific activities or foods that I can only try in Australia?
  7. Anything else you'd like to include :)

So yeah, that's about it. Like I said, all of these are legit questions from someone who is ignorant to the facts about Australia. I'd like to have these answered before I answer any questions or submit any applications. Also, if these vary by area (for example if large spiders are more common in Sydney than in Brisbane) then answer for each city I posted so that I can best choose a certain city to study in. :)

Your answers & details are much appreciated!!

1. Dangerous snakes and spiders are not common in the areas you listed. They are more common up north. Not in Sydney, Melbourne is Brisbane. You will certainly see a spider, but unlikely you will get bitten. Very unlikely to see a really dangerous one. Snakes, really only if you intend to go bushwalking.

2. Culture. Yes, Australians are more laid back, have a different kind of homour (e.g. they poke fun at themselves more), and are less idealistic and far less patriotic (patriotism in Australia doesnt really go past supporting Australia at the Olympic games. . They also spell a bit differently - add the letter "u" to color for example, spell words that you spell with a 'z' with an 's'. Most of your favourite TV shows are on in Aus ... so dont worry there. To put it this way, Australians are closer to Canadians than Americans, but you can interact with them fine. Australian cuisine is similar to America's (even the same brands) though Australians eat out far less. Australian fashion is the same. Australia also has very strict gun laws - the have not caused danger.

3. What's the weather like? What's the weather like in America? Like America, Australia is much larger that a one word answer. Rain is rarely excessive, and temperatures are not as extreme as America, especially the minimums and winters - Aus is much warmer. Australian summers are not as hot as Texas. Australian winters rarely get below a 5 degree Celsius minimum. Maximum temps all year are usually in the 15-40 degree Celsius range. Warmer in summer (Dec-Feb) of course.

4. Earthquakes are very uncommon. This is due to Australia's geographical location.

5. What do Australian think of America? There is no animosity to individual Americans. Australians see the US as a friend and a key ally, including by way of defence. Australians do however, get annoyed by excessive patriotism, and the arrogant self-contentedness of many Americans - at least as they perceive it. It is perfectly safe war Americans to visit, including girls - no required hear coverings or anything like that. You could wear what you wear to a beach in Miami. You would be able to blend in fine.

6. There are some meets that you can only try in Australia - weather you'd want to or be comfortable doing so is another question. But you could get by on an American diet.

That is all I can probably fit here. You are welcome to message me and ask for my email if you have any further questions.

1. Dangerous snakes and spiders are not common in the areas you listed. They are more common up north. Not in Sydney, Melbourne is Brisbane. You will certainly see a spider, but unlikely you will get bitten. Very unlikely to see a really dangerous one. Snakes, really only if you intend to go bushwalking.

2. Culture. Yes, Australians are more laid back, have a different kind of homour (e.g. they poke fun at themselves more), and are less idealistic and far less patriotic (patriotism in Australia doesnt really go past supporting Australia at the Olympic games. . They also spell a bit differently - add the letter "u" to color for example, spell words that you spell with a 'z' with an 's'. Most of your favourite TV shows are on in Aus ... so dont worry there. To put it this way, Australians are closer to Canadians than Americans, but you can interact with them fine. Australian cuisine is similar to America's (even the same brands) though Australians eat out far less. Australian fashion is the same. Australia also has very strict gun laws - the have not caused danger.

3. What's the weather like? What's the weather like in America? Like America, Australia is much larger that a one word answer. Rain is rarely excessive, and temperatures are not as extreme as America, especially the minimums and winters - Aus is much warmer. Australian summers are not as hot as Texas. Australian winters rarely get below a 5 degree Celsius minimum. Maximum temps all year are usually in the 15-40 degree Celsius range. Warmer in summer (Dec-Feb) of course.

4. Earthquakes are very uncommon. This is due to Australia's geographical location.

5. What do Australian think of America? There is no animosity to individual Americans. Australians see the US as a friend and a key ally, including by way of defence. Australians do however, get annoyed by excessive patriotism, and the arrogant self-contentedness of many Americans - at least as they perceive it. It is perfectly safe war Americans to visit, including girls - no required hear coverings or anything like that. You could wear what you wear to a beach in Miami. You would be able to blend in fine.

6. There are some meets that you can only try in Australia - weather you'd want to or be comfortable doing so is another question. But you could get by on an American diet.

That is all I can probably fit here. You are welcome to message me and ask for my email if you have any further questions.

Thank you!