Sign in to follow this  
blackswan41

Can ecumenicism ever be sinful?

I recently received a facebook message inviting me to an upcoming young adult conference in my hometown Dec. 28-31, 2012 partially sponsored by my local Catholic Archdiocese. Not unusual, except for the main Conference Coordinator being IHOP-the International House of Prayer. Let's just say that it's kind of shocker that these two fervent denominations have managed to work things out to co-coordinate a conference for 25,000 youth. Hallelujah, I say!

http://www.franciscan.edu/NEWS/2012/Catholic-Track-at-Onething-2012/ “Unprecedented … A work of the Holy Spirit … A time for Christian unity” are some of the words used by organizers to describe the first-ever Catholic Track at the International House of Prayer’s Onething Conference, one of the largest annual gatherings of Christian young adults in the nation.

Apparently, some others in the christian media disagree.

http://christianresearchnetwork.org/2012/11/08/ihop-to-partner-with-roman-catholics-for-upcoming-onething-conference/ "The slide of the visible church down the slippery slope of compromise continues to gain momentum as ecumenism and syncretism replace sound doctrine and fidelity to the truth. Much of this compromise ultimately leads many back to Rome through such mystical, New Age practices as contemplative prayer as experience triumphs over objective truth. The International House of Prayer (IHOP) in Kansas City is one such group that has elevated and encouraged participants to seek mystical experiences with God as validation of one’s faith. This year, IHOP will demonstrate how easily such things align with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, as the annual IHOP Onething Conference promises and boasts of the inclusion of a Catholic track at this year’s gathering."

"Christian Research Network is a sister work of Apprising Ministries. Here CRN Associate Editor Erin Benziger of Do Not Be Surprised… brings to our attention more sinful ecumenicism, which is becoming so common place in largely pretending to be Protestant evangelicalism."

What do you say?

Of course it can, but it's hard to say that it usually is. Compromising with heretics is never a good idea, but then you have the issue of the boundaries of orthodoxy.

Denominations separate, a house divided cannot stand. That said, we're also called to cast out heretics... *shrugs* In the grand scheme, I support ecumenicism.

Denominations separate.

I think demoninations contribute to unity more than they divide. With denominations, we have a simple framework for people with various beliefs to congregate accordingly. Interdenomination efforts can then happen when cooperation is necessary. Without denominations, we would have many more divisions within individual churches.

I think demoninations contribute to unity more than they divide. With denominations, we have a simple framework for people with various beliefs to congregate accordingly. Interdenomination efforts can then happen when cooperation is necessary. Without denominations, we would have many more divisions within individual churches.

Going to agree with this.

Going to agree with this.

Without denominations, people could still choose which specific church to attend. All denominations do is give people a name to say while they're pointing fingers. I believe it is more ridiculous to have 100s of denominations than to just have churches with diverse congregations. I feel often times people get comfortable hiding behind their denomination and ignore the fact that one who professes Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour is their brother, regardless of affiliation.

Without denominations, people could still choose which specific church to attend. All denominations do is give people a name to say while they're pointing fingers. I believe it is more ridiculous to have 100s of denominations than to just have churches with diverse congregations. I feel often times people get comfortable hiding behind their denomination and ignore the fact that one who professes Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour is their brother, regardless of affiliation.

Then the church would be a denomination, just without the name. I think denominations allow us to respect one another more. I can respect a Catholic's belief in the veneration of Mary, whilst disagreeing with it, in the same way a Baptist can respect my view on infant baptism, without agreeing with it. If we all had to smash together, we'd have a bit of a problem - think about trying to reconcile transubstantiation with memorialism, for example.

Ecumenicism allows us the opportunity to express our brotherhood in Christ, whilst respecting individual and group interpretations of Scripture.

In regards to the OP, I think ecumenicism is an excellent thing, but becomes sinful when a) it contradicts Scripture or B) it contradicts conscience.

When kept within reasonable bounds, I think ecumenism is great. We need more unity across denominations and sects. Unfortunately, Christ's bride is incredibly fragmented. And mostly over really stupid and minor things. The Russian Orthodox Church once split over the number of fingers you should use when making the sign of the cross. I mean, come on is that really a big enough deal to cause a schism?

Then the church would be a denomination, just without the name. I think denominations allow us to respect one another more. I can respect a Catholic's belief in the veneration of Mary, whilst disagreeing with it, in the same way a Baptist can respect my view on infant baptism, without agreeing with it. If we all had to smash together, we'd have a bit of a problem - think about trying to reconcile transubstantiation with memorialism, for example.

Ecumenicism allows us the opportunity to express our brotherhood in Christ, whilst respecting individual and group interpretations of Scripture.

In regards to the OP, I think ecumenicism is an excellent thing, but becomes sinful when a) it contradicts Scripture or B) it contradicts conscience.

I'm sorry, perhaps I'm just unfairly biased due to my lack of denomination. I'm probably not the best person to engage in this debate lol.

Well, so much for that. Very creepy in its' timing, I'd say.

No matter what us humans say, the dark side hates ecumenicism most definitely.

Catholics pull out from IHOP-KC Onething Conference, Deaton murder a factor?

Citing “the short time frame and organizational logistics,” [1] the Catholic leadership of Steubenville Conferences has announced the cancelation of plans to partner with IHOP-KC for the Onething Conference 2012, which will be held Dec. 28-31 in Kansas City, Missouri.

The tragic murder of former IHOP Intern Bethany Deaton may be a factor in this decision. Micah Moore has confessed to the murder of Deaton, allegedly at the behest of Deaton’s husband, Tyler Deaton. Tyler Deaton was listed as an IHOP “division coordinator,” an unpaid position on the administrative team for the IHOP “friendship” groups, of which there are about eighty.

IHOP has stated Tyler Deaton’s name was listed as division coordinator by mistake.

Tyler Deaton is leader of a group that came from Texas to join IHOP, and there are allegations of sexual assaults by members of the group on Bethany Deaton. It appears the murder occurred because it was feared Bethany Ann Deaton was going to tell her therapist about being drugged and sexually assaulted.

http://mywordlikefire.com/2012/11/17/catholics-pull-out-from-ihop-kc-onething-conference-deaton-murder-a-factor/

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/15/3919385/tyler-deatons-role-at-the-international.html