HaleyGirl16

Photo editing & photo enhancing software

I'm trying to find a good photo editing software that's either free or that I can buy in-store without having to pay an astronomical amount of money. I know Portrait and Weddings software is good because that's what I use at the studio I work in, but it's anywhere from $1,350-1,500 dollars. Definitely do not want to pay that much. I also use Adobe Lightroom at work and like it, but I've yet to find a price on it, and it doesn't have all the capabilities I'd need. Adobe Photoshop is one that was recommended to me, but I can't find a price on it either. Right now I'm using the free features on PicMonkey.com. It's alright, but I'd like something a little better, where I can either pay a one time fee and have all the features, or something that is free that I can use all the features instead of pay a monthly fee for services I may or may not use. I'd also like it downloaded to my desktop or added to my desktop from a disk so if my internet isn't working I can still use it.

So does anyone know of a software that would possibly fit my picky requests? I've done some looking but can't really find anything.

Sadly, all the editing sites I use, Adobe Photoshop (Full), Picmonkey, etc, etc. I pay for. I know you can download a torrent for Photoshop, I may have done it once, but if you're caught it's risky since it's illegal.

I don't know of any free photo editing programs. Photoshop costs about $700, so that is most likely out of your price range. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements for editing photos. It does not have all of the features of Photoshop but it only costs between $75 and $100. It can be purchased from Adobes website, the Mac App Store, and some electronic stores. You might want to look into the features to see if it has everything you need.

Gimp is a free photoshop equivalent. It's very similar to photoshop but it's probably not as polished as photoshop.

You're a student so you should be able to get educational versions of Photoshop for *much* less than the commercial version. CS6 (latest version of photoshop, bridge, and some other software) is 1200 new, but 500 for educational. Still a lot! Check on eBay if you *must* have photoshop, you can probably pay 100-150 for CS5 / CS4 (older, but seriously not going to hurt you at all, the most important features are still there).

Personally, check out gimp. It's decent. I use photoshop CS5 because my office licenses it to me, but if I didn't have that I'd probably use Gimp.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :) I'll check into all of them.

Also, has anyone heard of Corel Paintshop Pro x5? This was recommended to me by a friend who is a photography major. I can get it for between 50 & 75 bucks at Walmart, Office Max or something like that. I've read mixed reviews with some saying it's better than Adobe and some saying it's second only to Adobe. Anyone ever used it and if so how did you like it?