Sign in to follow this  
xkorijaidenx

Bible College and Non-Christian Parents

I have to start applying for colleges next year and i have been giving it thought. My parents aren't christian, but i just feel like He is pulling me towards the church, and placed Bible College on my heart. i have gone to church and youth for 4 years now, and i do have one or two christian relatives even though my parents aren''t christian.

I just want to know your experiences and stuff with your parents if you have been in this situation, or are in it currently! :)

and I have been praying for awhile about it, and I am just praying for Him to open the door if He wants it open or two firmly shut it if that isn't where He wants me. I have also been praying that He would use me, and work in the hearts of my parents.

You are doing things right.

I would add, that while you are in your parents house especially, there is need to respect them, per the 5th commandment.

Keep reading the Bible, praying, talking with other Christian (especially older ones, your pastor if possible).

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Timothy%203,%20Proverbs%2031&version=ESV

How about a Catholic university? They garner secular respect and maintain a religious atmosphere, e.g. you can take theology classes. If you want a deeply religious education, I suggest simply going to a seminary to get a B.Th. (Bachelor of Theology).

My parents are Christians, BUT a good option may be to go to a school that is a Christian school, but offers secular degrees.  I went to school for a Christian Minstary degree ( had to drop out for personal reasons but anyway) they had Christian ministry and church music BUT also had business, education and other degrees that were not Christian-based, as such while still requireing everyone to take four Christian ministry courses as part of their core.  If I had to guess I would say between the sports scholarships offered, the local students who wanted to stay close to home and people who had trouble getting in other places it was probably between 30 and 40 that were NOT Christians and only between 10-15% majored in the ministry degrees offered.  A college like that may be a good option/

I agree with what's being said. I think with everything going on in this world, if you believe in Him and His pull on you, then you should go with it. I wouldn't go strictly to a seminary-type school incase you change majors after discovering a different plan for serving the Lord, but one that offers a theology program as well as others.

I have a similar thing going on with my parents. I want to go to a Baptist college, which came as a bit of a shock to them. They weren't sure I'd like it, because the campus is so strict and you have to attend massive quantities of church services to even graduate, regardless of your major. But when I pointed out that with everything going on at other schools (like a local state school with a massive drug problem) and everything going on in my life (multiple concussions and my daddy's liver failing), that living in a small, supportive, structured, Christ-centered community. We're all going on a campus visit, which includes a Q & A session for my parents without me while I attend a class with the other students. We'll also be getting lunch at the dining hall and attending a church service. I'm hoping my parents seeing me in that environment and having their questions answered by the admissions staff will help. Hopefully, your parents will be happy to see you happy.