Sign in to follow this  
Ronald

"The Lord said to my Lord" explaination.

Can somebody please explain what this means:

Psalm 110:1 Of David. A psalm. The LORD says to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet."

Matthew 22:44 "'The Lord said to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet."'

Acts 2:34 For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said, "'The Lord said to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand

So Jesus quotes Psalm 110 to prove a point, but I don't fully understand the point He is trying to prove. It is also quoted in the book of acts to show the legitimacy of Christ's divinity from what I've been reading all over the web but I still don't get it.

So the first "Lord" means God am I right? And the second Lord is who? Gah, I'm just a bit lost on this one.

I tried reading the whole thing:

matthew 22:41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, 42 “What do you think about the Messiah? Whose son is he?”

“The son of David,” they replied.

43 He said to them, “How is it then that David, speaking by the Spirit, calls him ‘Lord’? For he says,

44 “‘The Lord said to my Lord:

“Sit at my right hand

until I put your enemies

under your feet.”’[e]

45 If then David calls him ‘Lord,’ how can he be his son?” 46 No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions.

So David calls the second Lord, "Lord" and he is referring to Jesus even though it is his son. Is that right?

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Okay, I think I've got it. Basically the text says: God said to my master sit at my right hand, etc. It's a prophesy of Jesus Christ, and David called Jesus Lord even though Jesus would be a son of David. Normally it wouldn't make sense for a man to call his son, "Lord" and that's why it shut the pharisee's up.

I think I got this, I just had to write about it first lol.

Correct.

God the Father said to Jesus Christ...

The Lord has sworn

and will not change his mind:

“You are a priest forever,

in the order of Melchizedek.” 5 The Lord is at your right hand[c];

he will crush kings on the day of his wrath.

6 He will judge the nations, heaping up the dead

and crushing the rulers of the whole earth.

7 He will drink from a brook along the way,[d]

and so he will lift his head high.

See also:

13 “In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man,[a] coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. 14 He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.

What Yoda said. God the Father is speaking to God the Son.