Sign in to follow this  
ComedyMusicHistory

The End Times

What your beliefs about the End Times?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What your beliefs about the End Times?

• Preterist and Postmillenialist
    • Preterist and Amillenialist
    • Historicist and Amillenialist
    • Futurist and Amillenialist
    • Futurist and Premillenialist
    • Spiritualist/Idealist and Amillenialist
    • Spiritualist/Idealist and I don't believe in any End of the World
    • Other Combination (please explain)

What are your views on the end times? When the book of Revelation takes place? When the millennial will take place? Here are the views.

Preterism: Preterists believe the book of Revelation has already taken place. Some believe the Revelation is talking about is only talking about the fall of Jerusalem. Still others believe the first half is about the fall of Jerusalem and the second half is about the Fall of the Roman Empire. There are two forms of Preterism, full and partial. Full Preterists believe that all the "end times" have been fulfilled. Partial Preterists believe Revelation has been fulfilled, but the end times (talked about in the Gospels) have still be fulfilled.

Historicism: Historicists believe the book of Revelation is talking about church history; the past, the present, and the future. Historicists believe the Beast/Antichrist is the Papacy. They believe in the "end times", but that most of Revelation is not talking about the end times. Their idea of the tribulation is not near as scary as futurists and premillenialists.

Futurism: Futurists believe the book of Revelation will be fulfilled in the future. They believe that the Antichrist will be one person. Some take Revelation very literally. They believe the tribulation will be a very scary time. While others believe it is somewhat literally, but somewhat symbolic.

Spiritualism/Idealism: A Spiritualist/Idealist believes the book of Revelation is relevant to any place and any time. That the things described are not meant to tell a specific event, but events that happen all the time. They believe the events of Revelation are a cycle that will continue till the end of the world.

Postmillennialism: Postmillennialists believe that chapter 20 of Revelation refers to a Golden Age when Christian ethics will prosper and the world will be good. Some hold a literal thousand years, while other view it as a non-literal millennium. Some believe it has already begun, others believe it to be still in the future. Most believe that there won't be any tribulation or great deception. Satan will try, but virtually no one will believe him. They believe in one rapture at the end of time.

Amillenialism: Amillenialists believe there is no literal period where the world is all perfect or good. Some prefer the term Nunc-Millennialist. Those of you who know Latin know what that means, but for those who don't Nunc means now in Latin (like A means no). They believe that the millennium started when Jesus bound Satan at the cross. They believe that the tribulation will not be a literal seven years, but a non-literal seven years. They believe in one rapture at the end of time.

Premillenialism: Premillenialists believe that there will be a literal seven year tribulation. They believe that the Christians will be raptured before Jesus returns; whether before, in the middle, or any time during the tribulation. They believe the tribulation will be a vary awful time. They believe Jesus will return, literally bind Satan, and the saints will reign with him in Jerusalem for a literal thousand years. Then Satan will be unleashed to deceive people and then the final judgement.

If I had to choose one, if would be Spiritualist/Idealist, but I also believe in Preterism. There really should be that combination listed.

I tend to think that Revelation has a dual-fulfillment, both in the fall of Jerusalem as preterists see it and a literal tribulation as premilllennials see it. In fact, it could possibly even be tri-fulfillment, even including historicist views. However, I see it mainly through a futurist lens.

Pre-millennial historic modified idealist with futuristic aspects.

No option for those of us who believe Revelation is a Liturgical handbook?

Preterist and Amillenialist.

Please clarify? :)

Please clarify? :)

Well, I guess to be fair, handbook would probably be the wrong word, but you can read Revelation in a specific way that it parallels and explains portions of the Mass. Here's from the back cover of I read about it once,

Of all things Catholic, there is nothing that is so familiar as the Mass. With its unchanging prayers, the Mass fits Catholics like their favorite clothes. Yet most Catholics sitting in the pews on Sundays fail to see the powerful supernatural drama that enfolds them. Pope John Paul II described the Mass as "Heaven on Earth," explaining that what "we celebrate on Earth is a mysterious participation in the heavenly liturgy."

The Lamb’s Supper reveals a long-lost secret of the Church: The early Christians' key to understanding the mysteries of the Mass was the New Testament Book of Revelation. With its bizarre imagery, its mystic visions of heaven, and its end-of-time prophecies, Revelation mirrors the sacrifice and celebration of the Eucharist."

Beyond this point, the book could also mean all sorts of things. I don't believe the Church takes an official stance, but most Catholics are Preterists.

As for me, I find the discussion of Mass and Revelation very helpful and I don't worry about the End Times apart from that. It does not benefit my spiritual life at all to get caught up in something like that.

Wow, another view. I have never heard of it until now, but I guess it would under Other.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

If I had to choose one, if would be Spiritualist/Idealist, but I also believe in Preterism. There really should be that combination listed.

I added the Other for other combinations. I just did the most common ones.

Well, I guess to be fair, handbook would probably be the wrong word, but you can read Revelation in a specific way that it parallels and explains portions of the Mass. Here's from the back cover of I read about it once,

Beyond this point, the book could also mean all sorts of things. I don't believe the Church takes an official stance, but most Catholics are Preterists.

As for me, I find the discussion of Mass and Revelation very helpful and I don't worry about the End Times apart from that. It does not benefit my spiritual life at all to get caught up in something like that.

I think this would count as a form of idealism, since I (along with Pope Benedict XVI and Scott Hahn) hold this view as well.

Other....I just believe in God, and that Jesus will come...and I'm trying to live a life pleasing to God.

Other....I just believe in God, and that Jesus will come

Virtually all Christians believe in Jesus' Second Coming. From things you said on the thread about the Antichrist I think you're a Futurist-Amillenialist.

Other....I just believe in God, and that Jesus will come...and I'm trying to live a life pleasing to God.

Sometimes this is the best answer.

I'm amillennial. And a combination of Preterism and Idealism.

The Bible teaches only one 2nd coming of Christ (not two) and one final judgment; Jn. 5:28-29; 2 Thess 1:7-10; 2 Pet. 3:13. This makes me amil or postmil. In Matthew 24:3 two questions are answered - timing of destruction of Jerusalem, timing of coming of Christ. The former judgement a type of the latter. That makes me amil. And there are many other reasons.

Then, I find strengths in both preterism and idealism. Revelationn does speak of events that “must soon take place,” not just relegating all the events to the distant future. The books original audience was the churches in Asia Minor. Revelation was written to an audience, encouraging the early church in their persecution. But this also addresses circumstances that remain throughout the entire church age; e.g. Rev 17 shows opposition to the church and gospel throughout history until He returns.