Sign in to follow this  
Grace27

Favorite Book of the Bible

What's your favorite book of the Bible. I like 1 Samuel and 2 Samuel and other books...and I like Acts and other books

I don't quite have a favorite, but 1 Peter is probably the closest thing to a favorite.

I don't quite have a favorite, but 1 Peter is probably the closest thing to a favorite.

Josh, you just seem to get more awesome by the day?

1 Peter is my favourite, in case you hadn't worked it out.

James and Ecclesiastes; reason being is that I'm a realist and these books tell it how it is (just like how realists do). They dish it out to you and they're so straight forward.

James and Ecclesiastes; reason being is that I'm a realist and these books tell it how it is (just like how realists do). They dish it out to you and they're so straight forward.
Darn, I'm an hour too late...

I'm also a fan of Song of Songs and Psalms & Proverbs

Qoheleth is definitely the most existential of the biblical authors, and considering I love existentialist philosophy, I have a certain fondness for Ecclesiastes as well. I still think my favorite Old Testament book is Tobith, though.

Probably Matthew. I just like how it's so calming (or something).

I know what you mean :)

I like Acts and Daniel. I guess because they tell really interesting stories and its easy for me to not get distracted. Oh and they're easy to spell.

Revelations, can't wait to meet Jesus. :clap:
I am continually amazed at how happy people are at the prospect of the world being destroyed and billions of innocent people being slaughtered like cattle. There has to be some sort of neurotic rationalization (and I mean that in terms of psychoanalysis—where we are all a little neurotic) going on in this process to manage the cognitive dissonance.

I am continually amazed at how happy people are at the prospect of the world being destroyed and billions of innocent people being slaughtered like cattle. There has to be some sort of neurotic rationalization (and I mean that in terms of psychoanalysis—where we are all a little neurotic) going on in this process to manage the cognitive dissonance.

We're happy about the destruction of the world because we believe it will lead to a new world.

Another thing you must realize is that from a more conservative perspective, the execution of God's judgment is a good thing. There are no innocent people in the world, and when God judges them this is viewed as His ultimate vindication, and as such those who follow Him should be glad.

We're happy about the destruction of the world because we believe it will lead to a new world.

Another thing you must realize is that from a more conservative perspective, the execution of God's judgment is a good thing. There are no innocent people in the world, and when God judges them this is viewed as His ultimate vindication, and as such those who follow Him should be glad.

Trust me, I get the whole sacrificing 20 million in Russia and 50 million people in China to build Communism. The same thought process was at work in many people throughout history. It is nothing new. I am wondering about how you harmonize such psychotic intellectualism with the rather non-psychotic behavior of everyday life? It is obviously not an exact comparison because it involves active participation, but how does a Nazi death-camp SS officer come home after shooting ten people in cold blood and play with his children? There has to be some sort of really strong ego-defense mechanism at work to keep that contradiction from destroying the individual.

Trust me, I get the whole sacrificing 20 million in Russia and 50 million people in China to build Communism. The same thought process was at work in many people throughout history. It is nothing new. I am wondering about how you harmonize such psychotic intellectualism with the rather non-psychotic behavior of everyday life?
I don't see it as so crazy. From a conservative Protestant perspective, these three things are true:

* All men will die.

* All men deserve God's wrath and are indeed under it from birth.

* Justice is a good thing.

So it does not seem wrong or psychotic for God to enact judgment over all men who must die anyway. Indeed, it is seen as a good thing, something worth celebrating, because it is the climax of God's vindication. Just as a people rejoice when their king executes rebels and traitors, so believers will rejoice when God executes those who oppose the Kingdom of God and rebel against Christ's Lordship. The reason we do not rejoice now is two-fold:

* We must be patient and compassionate as God is because we are no different than those who deserve judgment, and so should kindly seek their salvation.

* We do not yet see God in His fulness and thus do not yet grasp the majestic importance of His final vindication against sin and sinners.

I can't pretend that this isn't difficult or hard to think simultaneously, but it is no surprise that such an issue from a mysterious, transcendent God would be hard to grasp.

The antiChrist shall come, and he shall deceive. Jesus will defeat him and a new Heaven and Earth will be created. I see joy in this. NO more suffering, pain, disease, poverty. My dream is to help gather as much people to Christ as possible. I care for all those who don't listen to God's voice. Its like a little boy who sees the colors of a flame and says to himself they are beautiful. I scream to him warning him of the dangers of fire. He chooses to not take my advice and runs into the flames and dies. OR he chooses to come to me and have life.

Proverbs. I love how it describes how a woman of God and a wife should act. Anytime I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing I go look there.

The antiChrist shall come, and he shall deceive. Jesus will defeat him and a new Heaven and Earth will be created. I see joy in this. NO more suffering, pain, disease, poverty. My dream is to help gather as much people to Christ as possible. I care for all those who don't listen to God's voice. Its like a little boy who sees the colors of a flame and says to himself they are beautiful. I scream to him warning him of the dangers of fire. He chooses to not take my advice and runs into the flames and dies. OR he chooses to come to me and have life.
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions," V.I. Lenin wrote in his famous What is to be Done? before the Red Terror and the Stalinist nightmare. For me the problem is inherent in totalitarian messianic ideologies whether religious or secular.

I like Revelations. I find it fascinating. Sad, yes, but still, fascinating.

The only book I really DON'T like is Numbers... tad dull, if you ask me.