Sign in to follow this  
mandylovesegypt

Is it ok to be a liberal christian?

I am very opposite of my parents. Theyre conservative. While i don't claim myself as a certain party, I'm more liberal then anything else. In my opinion, topics like abortion and gay marriage i have no opinion on. Actually, i wouldn't vote yes or no to legalize them. I thought that it was bad to be liberal and be a christian, because i thought conservatives pushed for what is right, while i have no opinion. What do you think?

I'm a center-left Christian. I don't think there's anything inheirantly wrong with being a politically liberal Christian but there are some things such as abortion that I find it hard to see how a Christian could justify. Then again, there are conservative beliefs I think are hard to justify from a Christian perspective. As for the whole issue of "conservatives push for what is right", I have problems with this view. In my opinion, marrying Christianity to a political party in the first place is a bad idea. Historically what tends to happen is that Christianity gets changed to accomadate the beliefs of the political party, rather than the politics lineing up with Christianity.

Personally, I'm catholic but conservator or liberal it's complicated question.

I have many friend who are traditionalist and I like Latin mass but I support the Evangelist-Catholic (Pop-praise or Webvangelism) and the Charismatic movement (but may be it's just French movement).

I defend Tradition in Catholic Church & modernity in evangelism.

(Sorry if I no clear but it's very difficult question and my English is so reduced for explain what I think ^^)

Sorry, the question is political question or spiritual question?

If his political, I don't know where I'm ^^

Sometimes we need to render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's and render to God the things that are God's. (Luke 20:25)

But sometimes when it's a spiritual matter of the life of a human being, it's important for us to stand up against killing unborn children. I just like to let homosexuals know how much I love them the way Christ commands us to. If more Christians showed love to homosexuals there would be more homosexual Christians which would lead to repentance.

Sorry' date=' the question is political question or spiritual question?

If his political, I don't know where I'm ^^[/quote']

I believe the question is political.

"Liberal" can take many definitions. It can refer to liberal Christianity, which involves thinks like denying the virgin birth, denying the resurrection, denying an eternal hell, denying the inspiration or inerrency of the Bible, or permitting immorality within the church. Politically, it can refer to classical liberalism (which is a sibling of conservatism), or, as you are familiar with and using the term, it can refer to social liberalism, which promotes things like abortion, euthanasia and so called same sex marriage in the *civil sphere* - not necessarily the church.

My advice would be to listen to your parents :)

If a person came to me and said "I have no opinion on killing children", then this would be very problematic, as such would be indicative or an unsaved heart. But, the question that I'd need to ask first is "what do you believe abortion is?" I would really encourage you to take a quick read of this: http://www.ligonier.org/blog/open-letter-my-pro-choice-neighbor/

Same with marriage. Where do we hear about the first marriage? In the Bible. So who defined marriage? God. And how did God define marriage? Between one man and one woman. Has the definition of marriage changed? The definition of marriage has remained between one man and woman from the beginning. So, "gay marriage" is like "four sided circle" - two men do not fit the definition of marriage, just as a circle does not fit the definition of a square. Marriage as defined by God, between one man and one women is the only type of marriage, so it alone is the marriage we should support. Because God defines marriage, gay marriage can never exist - the state cannot legislate it into existence, any-more than they could repel gravity, and we should not support their desire to and more than we should if they desired to repel gravity.

Do I think a person can be a liberal and be a Christian? Yes. Though, I think they are not very strong theologically, and many of them are actually wishing to give approval to sin rather than having turned from sin and surrendered to Christ as Lord.

"Liberal" can take many definitions. It can refer to liberal Christianity, which involves thinks like denying the virgin birth, denying the resurrection, denying an eternal hell, denying the inspiration or inerrency of the Bible, or permitting immorality within the church. Politically, it can refer to classical liberalism (which is a sibling of conservatism), or, as you are familiar with and using the term, it can refer to social liberalism, which promotes things like abortion, euthanasia and so called same sex marriage in the *civil sphere* - not necessarily the church.

My advice would be to listen to your parents :)

If a person came to me and said "I have no opinion on killing children", then this would be very problematic, as such would be indicative or an unsaved heart. But, the question that I'd need to ask first is "what do you believe abortion is?" I would really encourage you to take a quick read of this: http://www.ligonier.org/blog/open-letter-my-pro-choice-neighbor/

Same with marriage. Where do we hear about the first marriage? In the Bible. So who defined marriage? God. And how did God define marriage? Between one man and one woman. Has the definition of marriage changed? The definition of marriage has remained between one man and woman from the beginning. So, "gay marriage" is like "four sided circle" - two men do not fit the definition of marriage, just as a circle does not fit the definition of a square. Marriage as defined by God, between one man and one women is the only type of marriage, so it alone is the marriage we should support. Because God defines marriage, gay marriage can never exist - the state cannot legislate it into existence, any-more than they could repel gravity, and we should not support their desire to and more than we should if they desired to repel gravity.

Do I think a person can be a liberal and be a Christian? Yes. Though, I think they are not very strong theologically, and many of them are actually wishing to give approval to sin rather than having turned from sin and surrendered to Christ as Lord.

Yay for insults!

I read a comment somewhere that a lot of the reason for some of the more extreme conservative positions advocated by groups of Christians is dispensationalism.... But I digress.

Firstly, I think it's ok to hold most political opinions and be a Christian (though I am utterly confused by Christians who advocate cutting support for the poor and marginalised. PM me if you feel the need to comment on this, I don't want to de-rail the topic). What is important, however, is that you think through and understand what your political opinions are. This is something you should do gradually until you're old enough to vote. Read the bible, pray for wisdom and humility, and then look at what the political issues are, and see which views you have, and which you feel guided by the bible to take.

With issues like Gay Marriage and Abortion, if you're asked to vote on such issues, I'd strongly recommend you do some research into different positions, from the range of Christian perspectives and from other, secular sources as well.

Ah politics. The land where swarms of fickle and blood thirsty leeches attack.

Simply put, I do not see how liberals do some things and consider it Christian. BUT, the same thing can be said for Conservatives too.

I think it is okay to be a Liberal Christian. But you shouldn't base your political party off of what the world wants you to think, but what the Bible says.

(This was just a one time thing, T.K. isn't getting political anymore.)

As much as right wing conservatives in the U.S. like to think they have a monopoly on faith in the U.S. it really isn't true. Honestly, I would encourage you to develop your views independent from the sway of any particular political party. If your gonna read literature on an issue, make sure you hear arguments from both sides and be careful that you arn't forming your arguments based on what your friends beileive or just tyring to counter your parents but instead form them carefully through prayer, reason and and understanding of who you are and where you stand in the world. But really, don't say 'I'm liberal' and then only feed yourself with liberal sources or vice versa don't say 'I'm conservative' and then only look at conservative sources. The most intelligent have enough information to argue both ways if they wanted to. *shrugs*

Also, one thing I would encourage you not to do is fence sit. Temporarily sure, your young and your still working out your views and thats fine but having an opinion is a good thing. I can't really talk as I fence sit a lot on a couple of issues but I know I would be a better person and Christian for researching more and finding a side.

Good luck!

I think we need to remember that sometimes faulty political ideology creates an improper barrier morality and politics. I'm not separating the two, as of course murder is a moral issue, so too theft - examples could be multiplied. What I am saying and only what I am saying is that some people rightly detest a practise or activity, yet would permit it politically. For example, it's different to believe that hard drugs should be legal to using them continually or seeing using them as morally permissible. It is absurd to support the square circle that is same sex marriage, but some people have a disconnect between their political views on the issue, and what they know to be Biblical morality.

Though, I reiterate my point, that quite often political liberalism is motivated purely be a desire to approve of acts, which the Bible conversely calls sinful. So called same sex marriage and abortion are two such examples, and viewing them as "good" does not show the discernment of a renewed heart - a Christian.

---------- Post added at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 AM ----------

And, my comments above were addressed mainly two the two issues of abortion and so called same sex marriage, as in the OP.

On other issues, such as gun control, immigration, economic policy, climate change, etc, there is no doubt that Christians legitimately come out on both sides of the political spectrum, and even see their position alone as moral. Yet, on other issues, if someone who claimed to be a Christian came out in agreement with some members of the Democrats in support of infanticide, knowing full well what it entails, their blatant support of murder would give perfect reason to deny the spiritual state of their heart - those who love Jesus will strive to obey him. That some reasoning applies to abortion, and Romans 1 gives a nice indication of what God thinks about the acceptance of same-sex itself. Which were the only issues under consideration in the OP.

You are making the unfounded assumption that abortion in all its forms is "killing children". St. Augustine and St. Aquinas held to the classical Greek conception of ensoulment that a soul cannot exist within a non-viable body, so to speak. The writers of the Talmud held a similar conception
Placing aside the obvious sanctioning of polygamy in the biblical literature, I defend the idea that same-sex marriage is historically American. Native American societies have a long tradition of same-sex marriage extending in the past an indefinite length of time. When you say we first hear about marriage from the biblical literature, I am certain Native Americans would vehemently disagree.
Well, I think that conservative Christians are merely creating a delusional strict father-figure in their conception of God to satisfy unhealthy unconscious needs. Yet, I prefer not to use this speculative theory when debating conservatives and I wish you would show the same respect.
I think we need to remember that sometimes faulty political ideology creates an improper barrier morality and politics. I'm not separating the two, as of course murder is a moral issue, so too theft - examples could be multiplied. What I am saying and only what I am saying is that some people rightly detest a practise or activity, yet would permit it politically. For example, it's different to believe that hard drugs should be legal to using them continually or seeing using them as morally permissible. It is absurd to support the square circle that is same sex marriage, but some people have a disconnect between their political views on the issue, and what they know to be Biblical morality.
The reason people often permit acts in a political framework that they personally find immoral is simply because many people do not believe the coercive police powers of the state are justified against every act which might be bad. Some people view society/politics as a cooperative endeavor between people who are free and equal. If society is a cooperative endeavor then we have to ask ourselves what we might reasonably expect others to accept. In John Rawls's terminology, there is a separate political conception of justice that should trump our reasonable comprehensive doctrines and act as a public reason when adjudicating political issues. In other words, many Christians understand the coercive police powers of the state to be based upon free and equal cooperation and therefore do not believe that the state is justified in exerting those powers in all instances of which that Christian's morality labels something as "bad". There is something immoral in itself about forcing others to obey certain morals at the barrel of a gun. I am not saying this is right or wrong, but this fact is what you simply do not get.

I am very opposite of my parents. Theyre conservative. While i don't claim myself as a certain party, I'm more liberal then anything else. In my opinion, topics like abortion and gay marriage i have no opinion on. Actually, i wouldn't vote yes or no to legalize them. I thought that it was bad to be liberal and be a christian, because i thought conservatives pushed for what is right, while i have no opinion. What do you think?

Being liberal is a personal choice and if its okay with you and your choices and beliefs are sound then it should be okay with everyone else (: I think that the most important thing about investigating what does and doesn't matter to you is to make sure that you've given it serious consideration and can find evidence to back up your opinion. I think that the only danger with being liberal is that sometimes people who have been 'let loose' to believe a wide variety of things, rewrite the Bible to suit their own needs. As long as what you do and don't believe can be backed up by scripture or some reliable source then that's okay. Don't become an idealist - that's the main danger. To illustrate what I mean, someone who has become an idealist may say,

'You don't have to be Christian to go to heaven'

And leave it at that without having given any consideration or research into the issue and thus have nothing to back it up. That leaves you wide open to criticism and attack and actually hinders your walk with god (personal experience (: )

However someone who has taken the correct approach would say:

'You don't have to be Christian to go to heaven and I believe this because in 'xyz' it is said that 'abc' and to me this makes the point evident.'

Being liberal definitely means that you're opening yourself wide up to more criticism and troubles because you're going to be professing viewpoints that many others don't have and will probably disagree with. However being liberal is totally okay as long as you can back up/explain how you feel rationally so that you can defend your point of view and don't become an idealist (:

I think we all need to realize that no political party simply "pushes for what is right". They only push for what is right for them. While I am much more conservative than anything, there are things on both sides that I disagree with. You can be a Christian and politically liberal. The important thing to remember when engaging in politics is not what your political party says is right, but what the Word of God says is right.

No political ideology is inherently wrong. I would suggest forming your political views theologically. For example, since I believe that man is morally accountable to no one but God, I do not believe the government has any business dealing with moral issues, and should only work to protect fundamental negative rights. Thus libertarianism.

This post is in the tone of replying to things I saw different people post. Not just to the OP.

Being a Christian means you have been saved by grace through faith alone.

I do not recall God saying you have to believe this or that as far as politics to be saved. I would think *some* of their opinions would change as they became indulged in the word. However no body has it all figured out. So I can't say liberals do not live by the bible. Sounds a bit like questioning someones salvation which is not a cool thing to do. =/

I don't think you should try to define yourself based on a political party. I think it's best for someone to follow and support what's right in God's eyes, whether that be Republican, Democrat, Liberal, Conservative, Libertarian, Anarchist, etc.