Paige Elizabeth

Weed. Yeah, I said it.

A friend and I were talking...

Is smoking weed against the bible? I'm not confirming that I smoke it on a regular basis or anything... Just wondering.

Well, the word for witchcraft in the bible is pharmakeia. Aka pharmacy or pharmaceuticals. You get the idea. So... weed is another form of drug that alters or inhibits your ability to function in some way.

Good question. Although the Bible doesn't specifically say "Don't do pot", there are a few things that It implies.

1. Having marijuana on you in many states and countries is considered illegal. The Bible tells us that it is wrong to break the law unless it goes against Scripture. (Romans 13:1)

2. The Bible tells us that we should be clear-headed in order to defeat deception. (Romans 12:2)

3. Pot is known to keep people from being all they can be. As Christians, we need to give our best for His glory. (1 Corinthians 10:31)

4. Pot can be habit forming and may wind up replacing God when you need to deal with a problem. God wants us to trust in him to handle the problems that we can't (Matthew 11:28-30)

Well, the word for witchcraft in the bible is pharmakeia. Aka pharmacy or pharmaceuticals. You get the idea. So... weed is another form of drug that alters or inhibits your ability to function in some way.
To be fair, physics and all of the hard sciences were considered to be a subset of philosophy. So unless you want to defend the position that all pharmaceuticals are evil, then your comparison does not make a whole lot of sense.

But if God doesn't want us to use it, why did he put it on earth? ;-;

Why did God put poisonous snakes on the Earth?

Everything has a purpose, and a proper time. Just because its here, doesn't mean we roll it up and smoke it.

Who knows? Why did He put sharp rocks which can easily be used to kill someone on earth? Why did He create violent dogs than be be turned into weapons?

Not everything that can be done with everything God created is good.

Just because its here, doesn't mean we roll it up and smoke it.

Whoa. In that case, I owe my neighbor an explanation for his cat.....

There are other uses for it, such as rope. Just as the use for mercury is not as a substitute for water.

You won't find an explicit command "do not use weed" just as you won't find "do not sell nuclear bombs to Iran". We wisely deduce that X is unwise, or in some cases sinful.

When a compound binds to its receptor, neurons in the brain are activated. Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (the active ingredient in marijuana) finds brain cells with certain receptor, and binds to them, which causes interference in the communication between neurons - hindering coordination, concentration & sensations. It's just too dangerous, to be wise for a Christian (or anyone), even for a single use, without a serious medical justification.

Who knows? Why did He put sharp rocks which can easily be used to kill someone on earth? Why did He create violent dogs than be be turned into weapons?

Not everything that can be done with everything God created is good.

Amen brother!

but... weed is good.

It's an effective medicine, a pleasurable substance, and a reasonably healthy way to change ones perceptions temporarily.

And it's always amusing to do a good ole "Jesus and Cannabis" google search.

I take it that there are a lot of vices--like video games or alcohol, for example--that can be more or less harmful (or even beneficial), and that there's no reason to think that God forbids these outright. The only way to evaluate whether pot is being used morally or immorally is to evaluate the specific situation of the person using pot.

That said, I'm more than happy to shame pot-users the same way that I'm happy to shame cigarette-users. Pot's almost always self-destructive, and stigma is useful for discouraging those sorts of behaviors.

Edited by Yves

Agreed, everyone I know that became a "regular pot smoker" (I can't say "addicted" or they get mad) has had a variety of negative effects. I can't say that they are actually physical effects, but I can say that it has hampered their motivation, determination, sociability, and happiness. It is a vice and it is destructive, just as alcohol.

Guest Meesha

Is weed illegal in the States?....... It is in Trinidad

Is weed illegal in the States?....... It is in Trinidad

For the most part yes, some states are more flexible with it though

All I know is the smell of that makes me sick, when I used to hang around my old friends who did that I wanted to puke. Never done it and never will.

Is weed illegal in the States?

YES. Some states just like to pretend it isn't, and the feds don't care because the Supremacy Clause only matters when it's slavery <_<

Weed is bad. My exe smoked it like a chimney, and while things definitely got... fun, when she was high; I always wished she would stop. I'm opposed to legalisation, but don't favour the stringent anti-pot methods that I used to.

I support legalization, it doesn't have as many negative effects as other drugs, and just calms people down. It's shouldn't be our decision what others do, and no harm done if it is legalized