Sign in to follow this  
kb5462

Structured prayer vs. spontaneous prayer

I start with the Lord's prayer that Christ taught us :bigguns:.

Then I pray more spontaneously (But I usually know what I want to pray for before hand, so its somewhat structured).

*MOD HAT ON*

tumblr_m61wr6yDkh1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Gaiz. Seriously. Enough of the off-topic posts and comments written to deliberately offend. Is it so hard for us to think before we post something, or is our pride going to insist that we post things that hurt the hearts of other believers? It's not kind, friendly or Christlike, so let's stop that.

I've removed the off-topic posts from this thread, because they were irrelevant and causing tension. Let's get back to talking and discussing in a friendly manner.

*MOD HAT OFF*

I was wondering - those who pray in a more spontaneous manner, is that something that's also seen in your church?

I ask this because I attended a church when I was in the States where the pastor (I presume that's the preferred term, over priest) just did a spontaneous at the end of his sermon (although they called it a 'talk'). There was no space for me to kneel, so I ended up hunched over, in one of the most awkward experiences I have had in a church.

Yay! :D It served it's purpose lol. And yes I've felt that way about songs before, but I don't use songs to communicate and have personal relationship with God now do I?
Seriously? It's one thing not to use structured prayers. I don't, for example, because I was never taught to or around people who did. But to not only dismiss but mock the method other believers use to commune with God is arrogant, disrespectful, and anything but Christ-like. If you would accept that it is possible to communicate meaningfully with a family member or friend through a poem someone else wrote (which I dearly hope you do not reject), then why should the same not be possible with a God to whom millions of believers have been praying for thousands of years?

Rant over.

I think the most important thing about prayer, structured or not, is that as long as you are focussing on God and you mean what you say, it all counts and is all just as good (:

Just because structured prayers mean that you're praying someone else's words doesn't make the prayers any less significant. We all say 'I love you' to one another - does the fact that hundreds of thousands of people have already said those precise words it make it mean any less? Not to me (:

For a rare moment, I am actually insulted by something said on these forums. There is a proper way to offer a critique of structured prayer, and then there is the arrogant, offensive way that Mike Vargas chose to go about it. Everybody on these forums probably knows my poor opinion of evangelicalism, for example, but I do not go around badgering our evangelical members. What purpose would that serve, except as ego-gratification?

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

This is the litany of humility I mentioned earlier. It's simple but speaks to me personally deeper than anything I could come up with just babbling to myself {which unfortunately happens a lot in my case :-P}. I'm not saying you have to prefer structured prayer, I know plenty of Catholics even who don't. I'm just trying to get you to see where I'm coming from. I'll admit I'm mildly insulted by your GIF....
Why should I be so prideful as to think that I have the profundity within my heart to fully expression the reality of prayer to God? Structured prayer is a destruction of the ego for me, and a way to become part of the Communion of Saints and let their presence live through me. The problem for me is that God is not merely a friend or a counselor. God is not a human being. Prayer is also meditation equally at the same time. I reject this idea that pray is only a personal relationship.

For a rare moment, I am actually insulted by something said on these forums. There is a proper way to offer a critique of structured prayer, and then there is the arrogant, offensive way that Mike Vargas chose to go about it. Everybody on these forums probably knows my poor opinion of evangelicalism, for example, but I do not go around badgering our evangelical members. What purpose would that serve, except as ego-gratification?

Well put! One beautiful thing about CTF is we all have differing opinions, but we (other than with something really controversial) are able to discuss and debate in respectful and intelligent manner. And CTF doesn't have a lot of regular members. Which makes it even more important to stay on good terms with everyone.

And structured prayers vs. spontaneous prayers is about as uncontroversial as debates get.

Well put! One beautiful thing about CTF is we all have differing opinions, but we (other than with something really controversial) are able to discuss and debate in respectful and intelligent manner. And CTF doesn't have a lot of regular members. Which makes it even more important to stay on good terms with everyone.

And structured prayers vs. spontaneous prayers is about as uncontroversial as debates get.

And furthermore, I do not think there is a singular, objective method of prayer that right and that all the others are wrong. While I personally prefer a holistic prayer life (a combination of structured and spontaneous prayer, along with meditation) and can give reasons as to why I find holism the superior arrangement, what place have I to say that someone who only finds spontaneous prayer helpful to label that way of communion with the Sacred to be wrong? Some people find spontaneous group prayers to be very helpful; good for them! I can only concentrate on group prayers that are structured.

And furthermore, I do not think there is a singular, objective method of prayer that right and that all the others are wrong. While I personally prefer a holistic prayer life (a combination of structured and spontaneous prayer, along with meditation) and can give reasons as to why I find holism the superior arrangement, what place have I to say that someone who only finds spontaneous prayer helpful to label that way of communion with the Sacred to be wrong? Some people find spontaneous group prayers to be very helpful; good for them! I can only concentrate on group prayers that are structured.

I didn't say you did. Almost everyone who replied on this thread seemed to have a way they prefer that works best for them, but didn't say the other way was less good or shouldn't work for anyone.

I didn't say you did. Almost everyone who replied on this thread seemed to have a way they prefer that works best for them, but didn't say the other way was less good or shouldn't work for anyone.
I didn't mean to imply you said I did. :razz:

Guest TheNewBreed

*MOD HAT ON*

tumblr_m61wr6yDkh1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Gaiz. Seriously. Enough of the off-topic posts and comments written to deliberately offend. Is it so hard for us to think before we post something, or is our pride going to insist that we post things that hurt the hearts of other believers? It's not kind, friendly or Christlike, so let's stop that.

I've removed the off-topic posts from this thread, because they were irrelevant and causing tension. Let's get back to talking and discussing in a friendly manner.

*MOD HAT OFF*

1508977.jpg

But seriously, you didn't need to delete seven of mine and curry jacket's replies on this thread. Sheesh.

There is a proper way to offer a critique of structured prayer, and then there is the arrogant, offensive way that Mike Vargas chose to go about it.

YouMad.jpg?1260647699

And also incorrect d:

Aside from the good reasons other people have posted, I like structured prayers because they come most easily to mind when I'm emotionally unstable for one reason or another \o/ It's like memorized Scripture. I like litanies and memorized bits of this and that in general for this reason. Heck, I even use Dune's Litany of Fear to calm social anxiety :P

Guest JAG

I like both.  Since my dad used to be Catholic we pray a lot of Catholic prayers as a family which are structured.  I don't know enough to sustain a prayer life that way though - so I mostly pray what's on my heart and try to keep it simple because God already knows what I need.  Likewise, I used to pray in tongues a lot, but haven't in a long time.

Edited by JAG

I agree with Marley. Even though I am not Catholic. I love singing the Jewish liturgy. It is like beautiful poetry. The most beautiful sound that I've ever heard was 500 people signing the Shema at the same time.

Personally, I hate prayer in unison, like everyone has a prayer memorized and they recite it together. I just feel like the true emotion was lost. I write down my prayers if I have a lot on my mind; they usually run between 4 and 5 pages. Otherwise I just walk around with worship music playing just speaking from my heart. 

I think it is important to have a mixture of both.

Many of the structured prayers help us stay devotional, and speak to Him with honor.

An unstructured prayer allows God to be your friend, Father, and overall care taker. You can speak with Him like you would your best friend. It is good to do both.

Totally forgot this thread existed.

Still structured prayer over spontaneous. Almost always.

Structured prayer? Like really? X'Dsasuke_evil_laugh_lol_gif_by_abdu1995-d4That joke made my day lol X'D

LOL TOO FUNNY!!!

Keep in mind that that GIF was originally posted over a year ago Jazzy. Mike has gotten substantially more tactful since then. ^_^

Keep in mind that that GIF was originally posted over a year ago Jazzy. Mike has gotten substantially more tactful since then. ^_^

I realize that, but I was more referring to the person who reposted it...

I think Crosses feels threatened by all the Catholics. Maybe deep down, even subconsciously, she's afraid that her familiar faith, which she likely feels she doesn't understand, is possibly not as cogent as Catholicism. I am familiar with the feeling. Be understanding.

I think Crosses feels threatened by all the Catholics. Maybe deep down, even subconsciously, she's afraid that her familiar faith, which she likely feels she doesn't understand, is possibly not as cogent as Catholicism. I am familiar with the feeling. Be understanding.

What denomination did you used to be, and why did you switch? 

But anyways, I prefer my own prayers, I'm not very good at just repeating prayers I've already heard, I put more emotions in too my prayers when I come up with them. But I don't see a problem with either way of praying.