Sign in to follow this  
Psalm139

Apathy in youth

What is causing 21st century youth to be so apathetic? This is a broad question, I realize, but I hope to get some thoughtful responses. I'm gathering data and would like some input from you all. To me there seems to be a very clear lack of passion among my peers and I'd like to know why you all think that is.

Yeah, I'm not sure I would jump to your conclusion as well. Also, what are you saying our generation is apathetic towards because I refuse to believe that they're apathetic towards ALL THE THINGS.

Certainly doesn't seem to be the case at football games <3 But in more seriousness, how exactly how are we defining apathy? Is to be not apathetic to devote to a 'higher' cause or just to place a lot of meaning into hobbies or friends?

I guess the main issue is, what is there to get passionate about? Least in the UK nearly every week there's news about how we're never going to get a worthwhile job, we're not as good as our parents were, that education is simple and if we struggle we're idiots as the last generation had it harder, and basically the world sucks, will continue to suck and we suck.

Hence distractions ala video games, sport etc are much more fun to devote time to and take an interest in ^-^ Then again as the saying goes, the family of the 21st Century is made up of friends and while at college it was fair to say people weren't apathetic about their social circles. Depends as well as to what you are comparing it to, sure loads of people say 'back in our day' but how do we know the previous generation was any less apathetic than us? While the way we interact with the world changes basic humaness doesn't so we're always going to find things to get passionate about somewhere even if they're not as 'noble' as some would like. It's just harder in today's more instant gratifcation minded and individualist society to connect with things that passionately, especially in terms of community based points.

And if you want to bring Kierkegaard into it you could probably say we're more aesthetically minded these days than ethically so but that will change in time as people try and find defining commitments to self-identify with and get responsibilities that come with growing up.

Because of the increasing alienation of individuals from the community brought about by modern technology, capitalism, feminism, and liberalism :V

I guess the main issue is, what is there to get passionate about? Least in the UK nearly every week there's news about how we're never going to get a worthwhile job, we're not as good as our parents were, that education is simple and if we struggle we're idiots as the last generation had it harder, and basically the world sucks, will continue to suck and we suck.

I agree with this. It's the same in America, and I'm assuming it's that way in most areas of the world.

Deductive reasoning. =]

I think there is a clear lack of passion or motivation toward the betterment of general social well-being, to get a tiny bit more specific.

@sly - I like your Kierkegaard point; hadn't thought of that.

@Yves - yes.

I think there is a clear lack of passion or motivation toward the betterment of general social well-being

...as you define it.

I think there is a clear lack of passion or motivation toward the betterment of general social well-being, to get a tiny bit more specific.

So remember when Wendy Davis filibustered that anti-Abortion bill in Texas? Yeah, everyone I know was up until like 2 or so in the morning watching how it played out. My newsfeed is always blowing up about this cause or the next. I really don't think that the young adults I know are like that, but all I have is anecdotal evidence, so I can't really draw conclusions.