Sign in to follow this  
AlisD

Do any Christians support legalization of marijuana and/or hemp?

Do you support legalization  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support legalization

• Medical
    • Recreational
    • Industrial
    • All
    • none

I think it would be OK for medical purposes, and nothing else. I have the same viewpoint on this as I do with alcohol.

I think it should be legalized for both reasons. It generates tax money and it frees up the time cops could use to chase after people who are committing more serious crimes. A no, I don't think recreational marijuana is that safe. But cigarettes are horrible and alcohol can have devastating consequence web misused, and they're legal.

With the current evidence, no. There's a big link between weed and personality disorders. If medical trials were expanded and provided more conclusive evidence, I could possibly advocate medical usage.

The comparison between alcohol and drugs is somewhat artificial, I believe.

Genesis 1:29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

Genesis 1:29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.
I don't know anyone who uses marijuana as food, or anything else beneficial besides medicine. As the Apostle Paul said, "All things are permissible for me, but not all things are beneficial."

I don't know anyone who uses marijuana as food, or anything else beneficial besides medicine. As the Apostle Paul said, "All things are permissible for me, but not all things are beneficial."

People use hemp seeds as food and the in old testament they mentioned Kaneh Bosm which is an anointing oil which means kannabus aromatic.

I would say the legalization of marijuana wouldn't be so bad. As Moon&&Stars said, it would free up the cops to do better things with their time than chase after high teenagers, but on top of that, marijuana actually helps improve a person's mood, it makes them happier, which normal tobacco doesnt (i.e cigarettes). So in general I think the legalization isn't going to be a bad thing. Plus, so many people smoke it already that its not even going to change how the communitys already are.

I think the polarization regarding the issue has research on the drug at the mercy of politics. On one hand it ruins everything, on the other hand it's a miracle plant. Likely it's somewhere in between. As someone with Libertarian leanings, I actually voted for the decriminalization of marijuana in Washington state but I do think it's wise to sit back and see how things unfold. Though they can't sell anything as of yet, we have 'Puffin Glass Shops' {yes, this is actually a chain} popping up everywhere ready to go. Spokane is a pretty broke city, we have a large homeless population and a city-wide problem with meth. Though philosophically I don't have much problem with weed, I worry a bit about how legalization will effect my city specifically. Seattle, I feel, will be able to absorb legalization with out much of a blip.... Spokane? Well, Spokane is already lacking a lot of the resources to deal with mental health and addiction... I'd like to see weed taxed and that money put directly back into treatment programs.

It's a difficult subject methinks and I'm less convinced about it than I was a year ago.

The only reason it's not being legalized across the states is because pharmaceutical companies like Purdue make a lot of money of oxy addicts and the cartels are getting a hold of the painkiller trade too. IMO I'd rather use MMJ for back pain then popping 5 or 20mg of oxies, vics or percs to kill the pain.

CHANGE IS DANGEROUS.

We must not change.

Change is the norm-killer.

Change is the little-anarchy that brings total obliteration.

We will face their change.

We will permit it to pass over our heads and through our blindness.

And when it has gone past we will turn the inquisition to sear its path.

Where the change has gone there will be nothing.

Only the hegemony will remain.

*FLAIL*

I say decriminalise it all. Do your research. Weed is nearly the safest of all drugs (behind only Shrooms and LSD). It relaxes and relieves pain. Cannabinoids promote neural growth where nicotine and caffeine discourage it. It can be taxed, immediately generating billions. Researchers are finding more medical use everyday. If decriminalised and amnesty given for all prisoners sentenced for weed related offenses, our prison population would drop drastically. No more wasting time and resources chasing harmless users and sellers.

I don't see any negatives, actually.

It can be taxed, immediately generating billions.

I'm not interested in a protracted debate, but this is an exaggeration. While growing pot does add some value to the economy, much of that "billion dollar industry" isn't going to represent new value so much as reshuffled spending. People will spend less on movies and video-games and baseball bats (which are all taxed) and more on pot. In the end, federal gains are only going to be a fraction of the simple tax value.

I don't see any negatives, actually.

Well, the big one is that it becomes (more) socially acceptable to be high all the time :o

I'm not interested in a protracted debate, but this is an exaggeration. While growing pot does add some value to the economy, much of that "billion dollar industry" isn't going to represent new value so much as reshuffled spending. People will spend less on movies and video-games and baseball bats (which are all taxed) and more on pot. In the end, federal gains are only going to be a fraction of the simple tax value.[/color]

I see your point.

Well, the big one is that it becomes (more) socially acceptable to be high all the time :o[/color]
While I do think that a marijuana culture decreases the ability of people to excel in their humanness, I tend to believe that a culture which throws millions of smokers in prisoner does much more harm to human excellence than partaking of the drug ever could. My preference would be to keep Marijuana illegal, but jail sentences would be replaced with rehabilitation programs, teaching people to substitute the higher pleasures for baser pleasures.

While I do think that a marijuana culture decreases the ability of people to excel in their humanness, I tend to believe that a culture which throws millions of smokers in prisoner does much more harm to human excellence than partaking of the drug ever could. My preference would be to keep Marijuana illegal, but jail sentences would be replaced with rehabilitation programs, teaching people to substitute the higher pleasures for baser pleasures.

I could go for this :^3 In any case, I'm all for reduced sentences. Even if it were nothing but a small fine, I'd live. Just so long as the law doesn't recognize it as legitimate.

Guest TheNewBreed

To quote Mars Hill: "This review is just as disappointing as Christianity today itself." God calls us to be aware and treat our bodies like temples, that and as "Christian Teens" we should know ourselves the pressure on youth, even from a young age to use Marijuana and the fact that it is addictive, harmful and a gateway drug. It should not be legalized past medicinal purposes. But with all the "wise" and "Christian" government decisions as of late I'd be very surprised if it wasn't legalized soon.

To quote Mars Hill: "This review is just as disappointing as Christianity today itself." God calls us to be aware and treat our bodies like temples, that and as "Christian Teens" we should know ourselves the pressure on youth, even from a young age to use Marijuana and the fact that it is addictive, harmful and a gateway drug. It should not be legalized past medicinal purposes. But with all the "wise" and "Christian" government decisions as of late I'd be very surprised if it wasn't legalized soon.
Should all harmful or sinful things be illegal? Even as Christians, we can agree the answer is ”no.” So a case must be made as to why this particular harmful/sinful thing should be illegal.

Guest TheNewBreed
Should all harmful or sinful things be illegal? Even as Christians, we can agree the answer is ”no.” So a case must be made as to why this particular harmful/sinful thing should be illegal.

Of course the answer is no, but seeing as how this was already deemed so harmful it was made illegal already why would we want to change that and work against progress here?

this was already deemed so harmful it was made illegal

My problem is with this. I can see a Christian's rationale for making marijuana illegal, however from a secular stand point it doesn't make much sense. As far as marijuana harming one's body, most research points away from this.

Of course the answer is no, but seeing as how this was already deemed so harmful it was made illegal already why would we want to change that and work against progress here?

Of course, this ignores the historical fact that it was made illegal based on propaganda set up by the cotton and tobacco industries that said weed would make white women have sex with black men, make black people think they're as good as white people, turn people into psychotic murders... It was referred to primarily as marijuana due to racism against Mexicans, and characterized as the drug of " Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers".

Believe me, weed wasn't made illegal for any logical reason.

My problem is with this. I can see a Christian's rationale for making marijuana illegal, however from a secular stand point it doesn't make much sense. As far as marijuana harming one's body, most research points away from this.
I think the issue with pot is the fact that it gets you high and alters your mind. The Bible (can't think of what verse ATm) commands that we be sober in mind. Basically the same reasoning as why getting drunk is a sin. However, I am for legalization.