Sign in to follow this  
AlisD

Do any Christians support legalization of marijuana and/or hemp?

Do you support legalization  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support legalization

• Medical
    • Recreational
    • Industrial
    • All
    • none

The libertarian in me screams "Yes!"

The conservative in me screams "No!"

This is my problem. On one hand, the small boost it would provide to the economy would be a big plus. But as a Christian, especially a youth leader, I just can't bring myself to condoning making it easier for teens to obtain marijuana. Of course, if marijuana was to be legalized, it would no longer be as desirable to teens methinks.

This is my problem. On one hand, the small boost it would provide to the economy would be a big plus. But as a Christian, especially a youth leader, I just can't bring myself to condoning making it easier for teens to obtain marijuana. Of course, if marijuana was to be legalized, it would no longer be as desirable to teens methinks.
I'm not sure how much the desire would change, but the acquisition would change, I think, for the better. Right now, by nature of the deed both teens and adults turn to criminals, often but not always very "experienced" ones, for drugs. At least if it were legal teens would try to acquire like they do alcohol, i.e. by a proxy who can legally acquire it from a legitimate business.

Of course, I cringe at the thought of the government basically saying, "Yeah, smoking marijuana is perfectly fine." So if it were legalized I would at least kind of want it to be taxed into oblivion.

Of course, this ignores the historical fact that it was made illegal based on propaganda set up by the cotton and tobacco industries that said weed would make white women have sex with black men, make black people think they're as good as white people, turn people into psychotic murders... It was referred to primarily as marijuana due to racism against Mexicans, and characterized as the drug of " Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers".

Believe me, weed wasn't made illegal for any logical reason.

This and campy movies from the 1930s, LOL.

This thread hasnt been touched for a while, but i'll still take a jab at my opinion =p

Hemp can be used for many things, quite fully functioning and has many uses. Thats a go.

Medical purposes sure. Just so long as people dont over use it.

Just discussed marijuana in a class over the summer, theres actually quite a lot of research for and against the idea of damage to brain cells with over use of smoking it. From what I understand our brain makes new cells all the time, and we dont lose many cells each time we smoke..something like that. Dont quote me on that -.- Either way, I think medically it wouldnt be a bad thing.

Also. I think people like the idea of smoking weed because its illegal. Its something to do that gives you a high that is pretty easy to find and not that hard to keep a secret. If you legalize it, it kind of sucks the fun out of it. Then again it could be the opposite and people will be like " yessssssss finally". Who knows.

Basically. I dont think it would hurt anything if it was legalized. I'm 23, I smoked weed back in high school once in a while and didnt find it to be that exciting. It just kind of made my eyes heavy and I wanted to sleep more than anything. I had different experiences than others. Ha. I know people who smoke it on a daily basis now and they are perfectly fine. They hold steady nice jobs and live life to the fullest. I dont think it would ruin society if it was.

That's amazing the poll reopened after being closed. I got to vote All.

Also. I think people like the idea of smoking weed because its illegal. Its something to do that gives you a high that is pretty easy to find and not that hard to keep a secret. If you legalize it, it kind of sucks the fun out of it. Then again it could be the opposite and people will be like " yessssssss finally". Who knows.

I think you're right about that. Probably marijuana being illegal makes more people want to do to be edgy, or cool, or rebellious. And if it was legalized and regulated like alcohol it would be a lot harder for minors to get. You would cut plenty of drug cartels and the violence that results. Like today you'd have any liquor gangs, but they were very common during the Prohibition of alcohol. And you probably wouldn't have a 13 year old marijuana dealer who goes to a descent, Lutheran grade school just to try to sell weed to 7th and 8th graders on the bus. I'm not making that up. I know some people, a couple of years older than me, who went to my church's school and there was a student at that time who tried to sell weed on the bus. I don't think any of the students reported him though. 

Eh, I disagree with the whole 'If it's legal less people will use it'. My bet would be that you would see more use {or at least give it a try} for at least a few years following legalization but that the number of people who abuse it or are getting high every day would stay about the same. It's like how some people can drink responsibly, and some people just can't. If alcohol was suddenly made illegal a fair portion of the casual drinkers would just stop because it was no longer worth it, but the alcoholics would find a way to get their drinks. I feel like people would get this 'If it's not rebellious, they won't use it' idea from the declining popularity of cigarettes in youth but that seems to be more of a 'two decades of stigmatization' than a 'It's not longer rebellious' thing. You might eventually get that same sort of stigmatization with weed, being out in the open, but It wouldn't be immediate. Living in WA, I've had a few diffent people tell me that they didn't start smoking until it became 'legal' {really decriminalized}. Now, these are college students so the dynamic may be a bit different than a highschooler trying to be 'edgy' it's more just another way to relax on the weekends but still I feel like 'legalize to lessen use!' isn't really accurate.

Of course, this ignores the historical fact that it was made illegal based on propaganda set up by the cotton and tobacco industries that said weed would make white women have sex with black men, make black people think they're as good as white people, turn people into psychotic murders... It was referred to primarily as marijuana due to racism against Mexicans, and characterized as the drug of " Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers".

Believe me, weed wasn't made illegal for any logical reason.

A resounding "yes" to all of this and nobody really paid much attention to it

While I find all recreational drugs self-damaging and morally reprehensible (yes, this includes cigarettes and alcohol), I don't think marijuana should be illegal. First off, it's really lame how much prison space we use on potheads. Secondly, I don't believe marijuana has any more adverse affects than other drugs that are considered legal. Third, it's not as though the law is really keeping people from using it; if people want to use it, they will regardless of the consequences. 

Third, it's not as though the law is really keeping people from using it; if people want to use it, they will regardless of the consequences. 

While I am not entirely opposed to legalization, I question this argument. Should we apply this reasoning to murder, theft, and rape as well?

While I am not entirely opposed to legalization, I question this argument. Should we apply this reasoning to murder, theft, and rape as well?

The difference being murder, theft, and rape harm others where using marijuana does not. The instant I start doing harm to another individual, that should be the moment I have broken the law. Not when I'm too fuzzed to get up off my own sofa.

The difference being murder, theft, and rape harm others where using marijuana does not. The instant I start doing harm to another individual, that should be the moment I have broken the law. Not when I'm too fuzzed to get up off my own sofa.

The trouble is that it can be difficult to define at what point you harm another. In theory, I could slash a sword across my sister's face without having knowledge or intention that it would hurt her. But does my ignorance serve as a sufficient argument for legalizing my behavior in that one instance?

On the other hand, I might rearrange in my bedroom collections of dust bunnies in a way that I know will--through a highly convoluded series of events--cause the death of someone living in Burma. There's no obvious causal chain, but there is a subtle, highly nuanced causal chain. Does that mean the occult practice should be any less illegal?

With issues of drugs like alcohol, nicotine, marijuana, et al, the debate tends to revolve around the relative harm those drugs impose as externalities and to society generally--in terms of subtle, nuanced causal chains. Therefore, it's not really fair to assume without argument that marijuana doesn't impose any serious harm on society, just like it would be unfair to assume that alcohol only affects the alcoholic.

The trouble is that it can be difficult to define at what point you harm another. In theory, I could slash a sword across my sister's face without having knowledge or intention that it would hurt her. But does my ignorance serve as a sufficient argument for legalizing my behavior in that one instance?

On the other hand, I might rearrange in my bedroom collections of dust bunnies in a way that I know will--through a highly convoluded series of events--cause the death of someone living in Burma. There's no obvious causal chain, but there is a subtle, highly nuanced causal chain. Does that mean the occult practice should be any less illegal?

With issues of drugs like alcohol, nicotine, marijuana, et al, the debate tends to revolve around the relative harm those drugs impose as externalities and to society generally--in terms of subtle, nuanced causal chains. Therefore, it's not really fair to assume without argument that marijuana doesn't impose any serious harm on society, just like it would be unfair to assume that alcohol only affects the alcoholic.

Okay, for one, the intent to cause harm through occult practices doesn't actually harm anyone-- by which I mean to say, spells and magic and all that stuff doesn't actually work and cannot be scientifically proven to work. 

If you accidentally hack open your sister with a broadsword, I believe at that point she has a right to have you charged because you have done her physical harm whether intended or not.

And by 'harm someone' I don't mean any emotional damage done to families involved or the like. I mean physical harm (or loss of property if the crime is theft). As my coworker puts it, 'my rights end at the tip of your nose'. 

Speaking as part of a family afflicted with an alcoholic member, the damage done to the nuclear unit (or any other acquaintances surrounding the afflicted)-- if not physical harm or theft of property-- can be remedied by simply walking away or through years of therapy. The act of smoking marijuana in itself does not constitute as doing harm to any individual (with the exception, of course, being the one smoking). Anything that happens as a consequence of being under the influence is a different act entirely.

And anyway, I'm not really sure there's a whole lot of domestic damage, really, either. The danger of moving on to other drugs (which is not always the case), the increased amount of laziness which might mean that your 'breadwinner' loses his/her job (but again, this is really just a case of finding a more suitable partner), and oh, they might eat you out of house and home. But I don't think anyone can accuse marijuana of causing domestic violence. Mostly just loafing about and having bizarre ideas.

Alcohol on the other hand, in the hands of an alcoholic, has been known to incite violent behavior. If we're going to say that MJ should be illegal, then we should go back to prohibition.

Eh, I disagree with the whole 'If it's legal less people will use it'. My bet would be that you would see more use {or at least give it a try} for at least a few years following legalization but that the number of people who abuse it or are getting high every day would stay about the same. It's like how some people can drink responsibly, and some people just can't. If alcohol was suddenly made illegal a fair portion of the casual drinkers would just stop because it was no longer worth it, but the alcoholics would find a way to get their drinks. I feel like people would get this 'If it's not rebellious, they won't use it' idea from the declining popularity of cigarettes in youth but that seems to be more of a 'two decades of stigmatization' than a 'It's not longer rebellious' thing. You might eventually get that same sort of stigmatization with weed, being out in the open, but It wouldn't be immediate. Living in WA, I've had a few diffent people tell me that they didn't start smoking until it became 'legal' {really decriminalized}. Now, these are college students so the dynamic may be a bit different than a highschooler trying to be 'edgy' it's more just another way to relax on the weekends but still I feel like 'legalize to lessen use!' isn't really accurate.

I think you're right about adult marijuana usage. More adults probably would try and occasional use marijuana. But I don't many more becoming regular marijuana users. But I was referring to minors using marijuana. The idea that legalizing marijuana will make it easier for teens to get marijuana isn't correct. If only legitimate businesses sold marijuana then you'd have to produce an ID to buy any. I'm just saying most teenagers get a hold of alcohol because their parents or friends parents have it in the house or directly gave it to them. If marijuana was legalized the same would I'm sure be true.

I voted medical, but I suspect there's a whole lot of things I'm missing in this whole marijuana/hemp problem. And generally when you think about it, a lot of the drug problems are just abused substances. If you could show me the provisions for and against marijuana and hemp in scripture, then I could give a better, properly weighed answer. But with only the information I know now - Medical.

Personally, I want them to legalize it just so everyone will shut up.

Then the government can tax the crap out of it and make a dent in their debt. Australia does that with cigarettes, and they seem to be doing alright.

I don't support legalization of marijuana or hemp because it is a drug. It kills your brain cells, makes you unproductive, causes cancer, it's a gateway drug and it also ruins your relations with God.

Personally, I want them to legalize it just so everyone will shut up.

Then the government can tax the crap out of it and make a dent in their debt. Australia does that with cigarettes, and they seem to be doing alright.

I like this idea.  People are going to do what they're going to do, whether its legal or not. *shrug* Legalize it. Like Foof said, tax it to smithereens to help with our crazy debt problems. I see no harm in that.  As long as I'm not forced to take it and coming to work/driving high is still a no-no, what people do in their own homes doesn't bother me.

I like this idea.  People are going to do what they're going to do, whether its legal or not. *shrug* Legalize it. Like Foof said, tax it to smithereens to help with our crazy debt problems. I see no harm in that.  As long as I'm not forced to take it and coming to work/driving high is still a no-no, what people do in their own homes doesn't bother me.

While I am not decidedly opposed to legalization, the "people are going to do whatever, legal or not" argument is entirely bogus.

While I am not decidedly opposed to legalization, the "people are going to do whatever, legal or not" argument is entirely bogus.

May I ask how so? Marjiuana is currently illegal, people are still doing it.

Stealing is illegal, people still do that. 

Guns aren't allowed on school campuses, but shootings happen there anyway.

Driving too fast, riding around with no seat-belts on, driving drunk,-- all of these activities are illegal, but, people still do them.  I'm of the belief that laws keep the honest man honest while the dishonest man does not give a dang.

May I ask how so? Marjiuana is currently illegal, people are still doing it.

Stealing is illegal, people still do that. 

Guns aren't allowed on school campuses, but shootings happen there anyway.

Driving too fast, riding around with no seat-belts on, driving drunk,-- all of these activities are illegal, but, people still do them.  I'm of the belief that laws keep the honest man honest while the dishonest man does not give a dang.

Laws do deter, even if not perfectly. Laws create fear of punishment that is enough to dissuade many people from doing what they would otherwise do. How many more people would feel free to shoplift if it were not illegal? How many people who get abortions to keep their lives from becoming more complicated would do so at the risk of imprisonment?

While true criminals are rarely deterred by laws, and people who feel rebellious likewise, ordinary people usually do whatever they want that is legal and refrain from doing something they may want if it is illegal.

I don't support legalization of marijuana or hemp because it is a drug. It kills your brain cells, makes you unproductive, causes cancer, it's a gateway drug and it also ruins your relations with God.

Genesis 1:29 Then God said "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."

Last time I checked hemp is in fact a seed-bearing plant.

I think that using marijuana is less harmful to the body than using alcohol. There is no such thing as a weed overdose really, while alcohol kills thousands of people a year through liver disease, and also contributes to suicide rates.

I am not sure if using it is morally right though!