Sign in to follow this  
Unwritten Fingers

I don't know why I'm here.

I shouldn't be here.
This isn't my life.

My name is Andrew. I'm 14 years old, but I'll be 15 this coming Tuesday (September 10).
I'm not a Christian. I don't even believe in God...but yet I'm here.
I was recently diagnosed with cancer, so I guess that's where I'll start.

I've had some serious pain for about 6 months now, and doctors kept writing it off as "growing pains." Well, finally, after some pushing from my mom, the doctors conducted a CT Scan, discovering that I had a tumor in my abdomen, along with several other suspicious spots. On Monday, September 2, 2013, I received the news.
I have cancer.
Neuroblastoma.
I'm in the minority, considering most people get diagnosed with neuroblastoma before they turn 10. This is a childhood cancer, not a teenage or young adult cancer. Yet I have it.

A doctor from the hospital told me to check out this website, said the community here was very open, and friendly, even if you don't believe. So, here I am.

I could use some encouragement, support, and a friend.
This is hard.
Really hard.

Tomorrow, I go in for surgery at 8am to get my port placed. A port is a little thing they put in your chest that has a tube that goes straight into your heart. That's where I'll be getting chemo, and where they'll take my blood draws from now on.

Anyway, it's nice to be here. Even under these sucky circumstances.

-Andrew

Edited by Unwritten Fingers

Welcome Andrew to CTF. you have indeed come upon a group of people who will care. I hope you will take the time to explore through this site.

That might explain why your denomination is white. Do you mind if I pray for you, it really helps when the person believes in prayer. Its got to be hard, but the people here are really nice and most of them and most of the time show awesome pieces of the love of Jesus in them. We are all here for you, but we are humans, there is someone greater who is there for you too. And although you havent noticed His influence in your life I can assure you He has influenced you a lot. (just think of even how you ended up on this website). We can only do so much but God is so much more awesome. You can rely on us for friendship and support and if you like try to discover Jesus for yourself, pray to Him, see what happens, Good luck tomorrow, oh and Im Emmanuel and my denomination can be considered as black. :)

Hey, welcome. You'll find a lot of others like yourself, being not religious. We accept all. That's real tough, though, stay strong.

also I had no idea we were being recommended by doctors?

[quote=Themeiwanttobe;

also I had no idea we were being recommended by doctors?

Well, apparently my doctors' son spent a lot of time on this website, and spoke very highly of it. I'm not sure of his name though..

Welcome Andrew. Some of us still don't know why we decided to come here in the first place, but it's a good place to be. I can't wait to get to know you and such.

Also, I think it's awesome we're being prescribed by doctors.

Well, apparently my doctors' son spent a lot of time on this website, and spoke very highly of it. I'm not sure of his name though..

Welcome aboard! Also that's awesome, do you remember his username though? Next time you talk to the doctor make sure to ask, this makes me curious. :D haha

Nice to see an Andrew and not an Andy, far better name ;) It's wonderful to have you here and all the best with your therapy.

If you need people to talk to then 'Bored' in the Classic Threads is a wonderful place as there's virtually always someone on there up for a chat ^-^ Also with a bit of luck we'll be getting more clubs going soon ala The Book Club so if you have any niche groups you'd like to see and be a part of just let us know, it's a wonderful way of feeling a part of the community.

Also, I think it's awesome we're being prescribed by doctors.

I find it highly concerning xD Be prepared Andrew to be able to reference nerdy things during your stay which will make you bizzare to everyone else you know -sagely nods-

Everything happens for a reason, including you being here. In times of hardship and struggles, everyone needs a good support system. You found one.

It's nice to meet you. If you ever need to talk, feel free to message me.

I'll be praying.

Hugs from Texas,

Ashley

Hey Andrew, welcome to the community, we're glad to have you here. Keep us updating on your progress, will you? And let us know how your surgery went this morning. Glad to have you here. Stay strong! Let me know if there's anything I can do for you at anytime.

Hey Andrew, welcome to the community, we're glad to have you here. Keep us updating on your progress, will you? And let us know how your surgery went this morning. Glad to have you here. Stay strong! Let me know if there's anything I can do for you at anytime.

Hey Cary!

Surgery went great this morning! I'm a little sore, but they said I'm good to go! I start chemo the day after tomorrow, and I'm pretty nervous about that. But yeah, I'll definitely keep you guys updated!

-Andrew