Zhouburn

CTF Film Lovers Society

So there have been many talks of starting a club such as this and I've finally gotten some time to put some plans down on paper. Now if you don't get the concept, we're basically like the CTF Book of the Month Club, but we discuss films instead. I'm pretty open to all movies whether they be dramas, indies, comedies, etc. So we'll do all kinds of movies and try to keep our selections as easily obtainable as we can, so if you'd like to join come on in.

A few guidelines for movie suggestions:

1.) We'll try to stay away from rated R films. The exception to this rule would be movies that were produced before 1984, in which case, just suggest it and we'll decide if it's a good idea together.

2.) Try to stay away from any film that has excessive language or sexual content. Most things are fine, we just don't wanna get too crazy with it.

3.) Most importantly, the easier to access the better. There are loads of public domain movies out there and lots of ways to access movies that are newer for free, but just make sure you think of how easy it is to obtain before you suggest.

Schedule:

April- The Passion of the Christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbFGEWmAK8A

May- TBA

Edited by Zhouburn

^ Awesome marathon would be awesome... In the summer holidays.

Couldn't we maybe have R rated films on the side for those who don't mind? There's a lot of great films which would be fun to analyse are ever so slightly on the strong side. That way we could 2 or 3 a month + an extra for us members who don't care. A film club that doesn't discuss 'Don't Look Now' is doing something wrong :naughty: Also there's films like 'Paris, Texas' which are incredible films but have like... 2 or 3 swear words only? Seems a shame not to do it just because of language.

Ohohohoh, and can we have Birthday movies like with the book club? x3

Seeing it's our first one, public domain may be good, in which case we could do His Girl Friday which is a fast-talking screwball comedy which has a lot of gender politics. There's two good free Hitchcock films but i'd rather we did a marathon on him one day x3 Speaking of which, any chance we could have a film noir marathon as well? And a British film marathon... And an American New Wave Marathon... Andrei Tarkovsky... Ah, you get the idea :razz:

Alas it's hard for me to see what is available on netflix etc but if you want a list of good films this is the best place to look: http://theyshootpictures.com/gf1000.htm Personally, if we can't go R then Pickpocket, The Third Man, Amadeus, Days of Heaven, Distant Voices, Still Lives, Brief Encounter, Night of the Hunter, The Manchurian Candidate, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Matter of Life and Death, Gilda, Wings of Desire or frankly, any Woody Allen film would be wonderful with me among frankly a list to big to mention :3 But I have no idea as to their availability.

30 films a month!

Some of us have lives Zabs. I mean, not me. But some of us do.

So we'll try for 2-3 a month?

Couldn't we maybe have R rated films on the side for those who don't mind? There's a lot of great films which would be fun to analyse are ever so slightly on the strong side. That way we could 2 or 3 a month + an extra for us members who don't care. A film club that doesn't discuss 'Don't Look Now' is doing something wrong :naughty: Also there's films like 'Paris, Texas' which are incredible films but have like... 2 or 3 swear words only? Seems a shame not to do it just because of language. .

I think it really just depends on the kind of movie. I say to keep away from rated R for several reasons, but some aren't necessarily that bad. A little swearing is manageable. But we don't want to get like Die Hard swearing, you know what I mean? So go ahead and suggest R movies, as long as they're not too crazy.

Ohohohoh, and can we have Birthday movies like with the book club? x3

Yesh. And since my birthday is next month, be prepared for something weird. A certain Chinese film comes to mind :P.

Seeing it's our first one, public domain may be good, in which case we could do His Girl Friday which is a fast-talking screwball comedy which has a lot of gender politics. There's two good free Hitchcock films but i'd rather we did a marathon on him one day x3 Speaking of which, any chance we could have a film noir marathon as well? And a British film marathon... And an American New Wave Marathon... Andrei Tarkovsky... Ah, you get the idea :razz:

His Girl Friday is a good one. Also, I would love to do marathons too. Like maybe for a certain month we could do like a 3 movie marathon. Or 4. It really just depends how fast things get going. And oh yes, we'll be doing Hitchcock I'm sure.

So any ideas for the first movie we should do? I'm good with His Girl Friday if everyone else is. 

So any ideas for the first movie we should do? I'm good with His Girl Friday if everyone else is. 

I'm fine with that. We should do some monster movies in October though!

Haha, ok sounds good. Let's do His Girl Friday for this last bit of September and then for October...I really like Young Frankenstein, but I know it's not gonna be all that easy to get for some of us.

Can you maybe provide a link or tell us where we can watch His Girl Friday?

Sorry i've abandoned you guys D= I'll give it my best to write some thoughts on it tomorrow. Do ye fancy giving us some initial topic questions or would you like me to try and think of some? I've seen the film twice now so hopefully I remember it fairly well.

So I figured we need to give this another go. For April, I suppose we can discuss The Passion of the Christ. A link to the movie on youtube can be found on the first post of this thread. Since we haven't ever discussed a movie yet, I'll just create a little template that you can follow, but feel free to discuss it in whatever manner you want.

Impressions: I personally like bug budget Biblical movies because even when they are inaccurate, they're still usually well done. I like this movie for mostly the same reason. The acting was superb, the idea to stick with Aramaic and Latin was genius, and it was mostly accurate. I feel like it did capture the message of what Jesus did for us and I think even the aspects that were Hollywood-ised were done so tastefully. 

Pros: It was mostly accurate, had some great acting, the crucifixion scene was spot on, and having it in Aramaic, Latin and Hebrew was a fantastic idea.

Cons:  What was with the devil baby thing? Like, could they not have just shown the devil walking around and be done with it? Also, several parts I feel were cast weird. Peter, for example, did a great job as Peter, he just didn't fit the mental image. 

I have a soft spot for the film if only because it finally gives me something to point at when i'm trying to show my mum why I like horror and exploitation films. It suffers from the usual Mel Gibson problem of a black and white outlook on everything but the DP does an excellent job and it's a decently made film with moments of subtlety amongst the slightly fetishistic violence. I always really liked Mark Kermode's quote on it:

"The result is an accomplished test of cinematic endurance, a work of low-brow exploitation inspired by the sublimations of high art (the writings of the Gospels, the paintings of Caravaggio) that attempts to trample the audience underfoot while keeping their eyes turned ever heaven-ward. It's a head-bashing experience, by turns exhausting, exhilarating, and infuriating."

Haha, so did your mom enjoy the baby devil part? That was kinda out there. Also creepy. 

Haha, so did your mom enjoy the baby devil part? That was kinda out there. Also creepy. 

I have no idea, I must ask sometime xD Just out of the blue, no provocation. We've been watching a lot of the horror channel recently as Classic Doctor Who is on there and all the trailers are of some really bad low budget horror films and it's amazing how similar they look to that scene. Catholic filmmakers are often good at that sort of... provactive and visceral (for lack of a better word to describe a devil baby) imagery ala Russell, Ferrera, and to a lesser extent, Gibson. 'Tis a fun game to guess the religious background of horror film makers just by their work.

Mel Gibson explaining the "evil baby"

"it's evil distorting what's good. What is more tender and beautiful than a mother and a child? So the Devil takes that and distorts it just a little bit. Instead of a normal mother and child you have an androgynous figure holding a 40-year-old 'baby' with hair on his back. It is weird, it is shocking, it's almost too much – just like turning Jesus over to continue scourging him on his chest is shocking and almost too much, which is the exact moment when this appearance of the Devil and the baby takes place

Also, I like watching the Passion. I know it's over the top and gross and disturbing, but I think it does exactly what it sets out to do, show you the suffering of Christ.

Mel Gibson explaining the "evil baby"

Also, I like watching the Passion. I know it's over the top and gross and disturbing, but I think it does exactly what it sets out to do, show you the suffering of Christ.

As I was mentioning to John earlier, if you get the chance in August, 'Calvary' is coming to America which does that exceptionally well but much more subtle and human by focusing on a Priest in rural Ireland who becomes a Christ figure to his frankly awful and uncaring community. 

It also contains the immortal line 'I think she's bipolar, or lactose intolerant, one of the two' ^_^

As I was mentioning to John earlier, if you get the chance in August, 'Calvary' is coming to America which does that exceptionally well but much more subtle and human by focusing on a Priest in rural Ireland who becomes a Christ figure to his frankly awful and uncaring community. 

It also contains the immortal line 'I think she's bipolar, or lactose intolerant, one of the two' ^_^

Cool, but I doubt it'll come to a place near me. Georgia isn't exactly known for it's wide-ranging movie releases.

That is a fantastic line though. It's something that I would say. 

Cool, but I doubt it'll come to a place near me. Georgia isn't exactly known for it's wide-ranging movie releases.

That is a fantastic line though. It's something that I would say. 

Yeah, Memphis only gets them after every other major city is sick of them.

That reminds me of Kesha in your love is my drug. "Maybe i need some rehab or maybe i need some sleep", both dramatically different problems. 

Yeah, Memphis only gets them after every other major city is sick of them.

That reminds me of Kesha in your love is my drug. "Maybe i need some rehab or maybe i need some sleep", both dramatically different problems. 

The glories of DVD, thankfully the UK being so densely populated you're never -too- far away from an arthouse cinema.

John Michael McDonagh is pretty much the Kesha of cinema ;)

Man, I do love Kesha though. She's kinda brilliant and only puts on the party girl attitude because it sells. 

Also, I am near an arthouse cinema actually because hipster college town is hipster. That just doesn't sound like a movie that's going to show up at it... I dunno, I shall keep my eyes an ears open I guess. 

Man, I do love Kesha though. She's kinda brilliant and only puts on the party girl attitude because it sells. 

Off topic, but I have to agree. I may not like some of the things she sings about but I do respect her in a weird way. The only reason she gets hate it seems is because she treats men in her songs the way they'd treat a woman in their songs.

But uh, "Passion of The Christ" is interesting. I appreciate the fact that it's NOT in english, and seems accurate enough. If memory serves correctly, I liked it.