Sign in to follow this  
BlueBrie

Uni Freshers Advice!

This is a chance for the older guys on the forum to put on their best wise face and give us freshers some practical tips for living a God-pleasing lifestyle at uni. What with all the alcohol, parties, independence, and more alcohol, it looks a bit of a spiritual challenge :confused:

Oh, and what's the best thing about uni IYO :afro:

haha thanks guys, really insightful;)

Lol, my answer to everything is always Jesus. Like when im stuck in a test room and i know nothing, the only thing that pops in my head is Jesus. So im sure whatever situation occurs Jesus is always the solution. Hope that explains it better. Im also a freshie in college so im in the same shoes as you are. :)

i-had-fun-once.jpg

Am I helping?

Seriously though I have 2 main tips. Or rather one main tip and then one overall philosophy for being a student, neither of which is specific for christians:

- Just because of sheer numbers most people don't know each other so it's easy to find people open to new friendships. Treat people like they are your friend and they will become your friend

-Uni is a balance between dedicating yourself to an end goal and appreciating the journey as worth more than your goal at the end. Be willing to take risks on opportunities that present themselves but also don't give up on things because they are unpleasant in the short term. In practice this means making physical copies of goals and deadlines (whether external or self designed) over scales of days, weeks, semesters and entire courses but then lower your eyes a take each day as it comes.

Applying a bit of common sense to the friendships and opportunities you pursue is all that's required to find your comfortable places spiritually.

One of the most important things I learned is to not alienate yourself from anyone who isn't a Christian. I went in literally scared of nonchristians because I thought they were all drug addict sex fiends. The people I ended up growing closest to in college aren't Christians and I love them with every fiber of my being. Some of them are very much into drinking, drugs, the works. That being said, almost nobody into that cares if you aren't. If they're decent people they'll be respectful about it and not bug you. And if they're not decent people they're not worth your time. Give people a chance and don't have a me vs. them mentality, as cheesy as this sounds it seriously breaks down so many barriers

My best advice? Look up your local uni church groups. You make good friends and they usually provide just as many fun CHRISTIAN things to do as the campus life does. There is also usually a lot of free food involved. I know I went to the BSU at my college and every Wednesday they had local church's make free full course meals for lunch. And it was GOOD home made food .

Oh, and don't buy full-sized loaves of bread - buy the smaller ones you get for around 70p to avoid wasting food.

Try not to have the professor that exposes himself in the parking lot of Whole Foods right down the street.

.-. I honestly thought this thread was meant for guys only. How mean.