Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

Rewards in Heaven

Rewards in Heaven

Do you believe that all Christians will be treated equally in the Kingdom of God, or that the more devout believers will receive “more,” or higher positions, based on what they accomplished on Earth?

This is question is based on the following passages:

For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. When he had agreed with the laborers for a denarius for the day, he sent them into his vineyard. And he went out about the third hour and saw others standing idle in the market place; and to those he said, ‘You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right I will give you.’ And so they went. Again he went out about the sixth and the ninth hour, and did the same thing. And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing around; and he said to them, ‘Why have you been standing here idle all day long?’ They said to him, ‘Because no one hired us.’ He said to them, ‘You go into the vineyard too.’ When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last group to the first.’ When those hired about the eleventh hour came, each one received a denarius. When those hired first came, they thought that they would receive more; but each of them also received a denarius. When they received it, they grumbled at the landowner, saying, ‘These last men have worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden and the scorching heat of the day.’ But he answered and said to one of them, ‘Friend, I am doing you no wrong; did you not agree with me for a denarius? Take what is yours and go, but I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with what is my own? Or is your eye envious because I am generous?’

That passage appears to teach that everyone is treated the same, but would need to be read in conjunction with other passages.

“Blessed are you when men cast insults at you, and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, on account of Me. Rejoice, and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”

Christians who are persecuted will receive more rewards?

But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal…”

12 He said: “A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return. 13 So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas.[a] ‘Put this money to work,’ he said, ‘until I come back.’

14 “But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, ‘We don’t want this man to be our king.’

15 “He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it.

16 “The first one came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned ten more.’

17 “‘Well done, my good servant!’ his master replied. ‘Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.’

18 “The second came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned five more.’

19 “His master answered, ‘You take charge of five cities.’

20 “Then another servant came and said, ‘Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. 21 I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.’

22 “His master replied, ‘I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? 23 Why then didn’t you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?’

24 “Then he said to those standing by, ‘Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.’

25 “‘Sir,’ they said, ‘he already has ten!’

26 “He replied, ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away. 27 But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.’”

Everyone was given one minas, the servant who made 10 more was granted control over 10 cities, and the one who made 5 was granted control over only 5 cities. In contrast, in the other parable of the talents, the two productive servants were treated equally as they produced equally in proportion to what they had been given.

Based on the above passages, I’m inclined to think that the Matthew 20:1-5 parable refers to the time involved and the other passages refer to the quality or level of work involved.  Or it refers to people who are Christians for most of their life, and then those who convert later in life, but still perform the same amount of work for the Gospel or the same quality of work but over a different timespan.

Nobody wants to reply?

Sorry there aren't Bible references to the passages I quoted - I did include them in the quote tags, but it appears that they aren't displayed in the new software.

I remember once it was described to me through metaphor and I liked it. It's like we're all cups. Some are big cups, some small cups, some are practically bowls. In heaven, everyone is given water to fill their cup to the brim. Overflowing in fact. But because some people have made themselves bigger cups during life {by growing closer to God and whatnot} they feel that overflowing reward to a different depth {hah! metaphor continues! XD}. So with your 5 cities 10 cities example, the 10 cities person might have drawn closer to God in life. He knows God to a greater depth and so he must be filled to a greater amount. The other man has been less close, but nevertheless he gets to heaven and is overflowing! Better than any water found in life eh?

But then I'm a simplistic unscholarly little goof sooo this is more just a vague thing. XD

I remember once it was described to me through metaphor and I liked it. It's like we're all cups. Some are big cups, some small cups, some are practically bowls. In heaven, everyone is given water to fill their cup to the brim. Overflowing in fact. But because some people have made themselves bigger cups during life {by growing closer to God and whatnot} they feel that overflowing reward to a different depth {hah! metaphor continues! XD}. So with your 5 cities 10 cities example, the 10 cities person might have drawn closer to God in life. He knows God to a greater depth and so he must be filled to a greater amount. The other man has been less close, but nevertheless he gets to heaven and is overflowing! Better than any water found in life eh?

But then I'm a simplistic unscholarly little goof sooo this is more just a vague thing. XD

Honestly, that makes a lot of sense to me.

I've never spent much time thinking about rewards in heaven, because the rewards aren't what is important.  A personal relationship with Jesus Christ resulting in eternity spent with Him worshiping Him is the important thing.  And quite honestly, even using our wildest imagination, what kind of rewards are better than eternity spent with our Savior?

Honestly, that makes a lot of sense to me.

I've never spent much time thinking about rewards in heaven, because the rewards aren't what is important.  A personal relationship with Jesus Christ resulting in eternity spent with Him worshiping Him is the important thing.  And quite honestly, even using our wildest imagination, what kind of rewards are better than eternity spent with our Savior?

I disagree to an extent. Jesus and the author of Hebrews frequently cited the coming rewards as motivation to good works.This is not because the rewards are in any way preferable to Jesus Himself, but because all grace is opportunity to see and savor Jesus Christ. So more rewards = more joy in Christ.