Well, we have a government shutdown right now.

*NOTE: I didn't finish reading the article, so I don't know what kind of bias it gets into at the end. I blame both Democrats and Republicans for this nonsense.*

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/02/us/politics/us-government-shutdown.html

For the first time in 17 years, Congress failed Monday night to agree on a new budget and refused to extend the current one. Without the authority to spend money, the executive branch on Tuesday morning started the process of temporarily mothballing facilities and suspending the many services the government provides.

This is pretty much how I feel about our government:

post-21454-you-had-ONE-job-samwell-tarly

This bothers me on so many levels. They would have never had to do a shut down if the ignorant Obama and Democrats would've just postponed Obamacare. And all of the things that are being 'shut down' do not effect them. Their salaries are not touched. Instead, things like WIC are being shut down (which a lot of mothers need to survive).

Just grr. -.-

This bothers me on so many levels. They would have never had to do a shut down if the ignorant Obama and Democrats would've just postponed Obamacare. And all of the things that are being 'shut down' do not effect them. Their salaries are not touched. Instead, things like WIC are being shut down (which a lot of mothers need to survive).

Just grr. -.-

Yes, let's all blame Obama and Democrats. It's not like the Republicans did anything wrong.

At least the animals at the National Zoo are getting red. My night is okay.

“When things like this happen and it affects everyone around, I kind of feel like the government is being selfish,” said Mr. Jamil, whose mother owns the restaurant. “Not only are they hurting the employees that they have, but they’re also hurting the businesses that are around, like my mom’s store.”

Very well put. In the end, I doubt this will have much of an effect on the law makers at all. It's the government employees that will be harmed and the people dependent on them. Now, to my knowledge, this hasn't had much of an affect on programs like WIC yet, as that's normally controlled by state or county government, not federal, but if things aren't cleared up soon, I'm rather nervous given my status as a civil service employee. :thumbdn:

Seriously people!

Compromise isn't that difficult!

Compromise isn't that difficult!

I feel like this is widely believed and also completely not true :\ 

I mean, like I said, I think the Republicans are playing this game badly. On the other hand, if compromise means the gradual concession of principle over the course of decades, until the limits and function and scope of the state have bloated beyond recognition (as it has over the past 100 years), then it makes sense to demand that some line in the sand be drawn.

Compromise isn't just a 'for now issue'; it's also the slope of a line that indicates the continuous development of the state over time. You can have some today, and some tomorrow, and some the day after tomorrow, but sooner or later too much compromise by one side indicates defeat of that side's principles.

Your are right, my earlier comment did over simplify things. Still, compromise shouldn't be impossible either. It doesn't mean laying down your values, it means using common sense. The function of our goverment is to serve it's citizens. The current course of action is doing the exact opposite. It seems that congress has lost sight of what their true function is.  

Though i will say that there could be an odd benefit to this. Budgeting is handled very poorly as a whole in our goverment. So much money is wasted on programs that simply are not working. It's a constant frustration for me. This could provide an excellent opportunity to reassess that situation.

Just grr. -.-

I agree with you here. WIC is shut down but not foodstamps which allow the lazy to stay lazy but the young children get to go hungry.

Let me clarify I aknowledge the good  that foodstamps were meant to do but they aren't used like that. Where I think the changes need to be made is in the broken social programs as Jen said.

Edited by anyabar1987

Just grr. -.-

Are you kidding me?

Who's holding the government hostage right now? Republicans.

The Democrats have no obligation to postpone the Affordable Care Act. The Affordable Care Act is legal. It is law. It was upheld by every. branch. of. the. government. They don't need to compromise; the entire Affordable Care Act is a compromise. And the only thing the Republicans are giving in return for postponing the Affordable Care Act is allowing the government to continue. They are literally holding the government hostage. No President should give in to such tactics.

It's the Democrats fault for not bowing down to the Republicans shady, sleezy attempt to hamstring the definitive domestic bill of President Obama? Not the Republicans, for pulling the stunt in the first place, and clearly having absolutely no interest in the people being effected by it?

Ridiculous.

You know who you should be mad at right now? The [removed] on the right wing who are calling this a "government slim down". The ones saying that this isn't so bad because it doesn't effect them. The ones scrambling to make this look like it isn't so bad while the Republicans in Washington prove, once again, that they have no concern for the less fortunate of America.

Edited by Yoda
Namecalling/breaking rule 2

If the Republicans are holding the government hostage, they should just kill it and be done with it. I'm sick of Washington. The liberal policies wreck America and the Republican responses hurt any chance of fixing anything.

True however some of those "nonessential" programs that have been shut down have included our national parks and Washington DC monuments while other broken programs remain open.

Yeah, coming from someone who does a lot of work at a lot of national parks, government shutdowns kill the economy faster than any president can. Needless to say, I'm less than thrilled. 

Edited by Zhouburn

Perhaps the politicians would be more motivated to negotiate a solution if they were deemed non-essential and stopped being paid during a shutdown?

The Republicans might be "dragging their feet" as the phrase is, but it's not solely the job of one side to compromise during a disagreement. Being able to negotiate is a vital skill of leadership.

Perhaps the politicians would be more motivated to negotiate a solution if they were deemed non-essential and stopped being paid during a shutdown?

The Republicans might be "dragging their feet" as the phrase is, but it's not solely the job of one side to compromise during a disagreement. Being able to negotiate is a vital skill of leadership.

Obama and the Democrats have been compromising since 2008. The entire Affordable Care Act is a compromise.

You can't negotiate and compromise with someone who doesn't want to negotiate or compromise. It's pretty clear at this point that the sole purpose of the Republican presence in Washington is to hinder the Democrat President. They haven't passed a single notable piece of legislation since the House became Republican, but they threatened government shutdown three times in the first three months after the midterm elections. 

They're not there to compromise. They're not "dragging their feet"; they've spent the last three years chaining themselves to a bolder for the sole purpose of making the current president look bad. 

Ugh. Here comes the party bashing.

I don't align myself with the republican or democratic parties for this reason. Anyhow, as stated earlier, both parties have clearly lost sight of what is most important. If either party cared at all for the disadvantaged in this country, this nonsense wouldn't be taking place at all. No bill is worth the amounts of lay offs this shut down has caused. Especially since the workers that have lost their jobs are mostly employed in human service fields.

The only problem I see with blaming the Republicans is the fact that the Republicans weren't willing to pass the Obama-care plan because our country doesn't have the monetary funds to enact this legislation.  In order to put this into effect, the USA has to go into debt so many trillions MORE than we already are.

So, the problem wasn't JUST Reps "dragging their feet" or being stubborn to deliberately thwart a Dem president. 

It was a decision between 1. Post-pone the Obama-care, because we don't have the money to fund it, or 2. Get into more debt to pass this legislation that a lot of people really don't want passed.

The Reps were being stubborn because they were unwilling to raise the debt ceiling.

The only problem I see with blaming the Republicans is the fact that the Republicans weren't willing to pass the Obama-care plan because our country doesn't have the monetary funds to enact this legislation.  In order to put this into effect, the USA has to go into debt so many trillions MORE than we already are.

So, the problem wasn't JUST Reps "dragging their feet" or being stubborn to deliberately thwart a Dem president. 

It was a decision between 1. Post-pone the Obama-care, because we don't have the money to fund it, or 2. Get into more debt to pass this legislation that a lot of people really don't want passed.

The Reps were being stubborn because they were unwilling to raise the debt ceiling.

This is very basic misunderstanding of the law... Obamacare doesn't create public health insurance, it regulates private health insurance. It tells gives insurance companies certain standards that they have to abide by, (such as rejecting someone for a pre-existing condition, or returns when they spend 20% of your money on overhead).

Also, I certainly hope that nobody is unwilling to raise the debt ceiling... Defaulting on our loans would be catastrophic.

This is very basic misunderstanding of the law... Obamacare doesn't create public health insurance, it regulates private health insurance. It tells gives insurance companies certain standards that they have to abide by, (such as rejecting someone for a pre-existing condition, or returns when they spend 20% of your money on overhead).

Also, I certainly hope that nobody is unwilling to raise the debt ceiling... Defaulting on our loans would be catastrophic.

Bolded for emphasis. Not raising the debt ceiling is a very very very bad idea.

Bolded for emphasis. Not raising the debt ceiling is a very very very bad idea.

Well according to our President, raising the debt ceiling does not mean we're also raising the deficit. That's complete fiction mind, but that's what he says. 

1375982_546481648738186_2066532063_n.jpg

Yep.

Not to sound like my money is all I care about... but I find this whole "shut down" thing rather confusing. :\ All I know is, alot of stuff is shut down, national parks and war memorials are closed and.... there's some kind of standstill in Washington. Am I following correctly?

That's the general idea Becky. Congress was unable to agree upon and approve a federal budget. Therefore the federal government does not have approval to spend any monies. So non-essential programs and operations had to be shut down.

Anyhow that's it in a nutshell the full issue is much more complex, but until a budget is approved, the government can't spend the money it has.