Marley

Roleplay Discussion

I guess it's sort of the sci-fi check one - maybe when you get back you could rename it? :3 Take care hun!

1. What kind of pace to you like in a roleplay? Do you want to be posting multiple times a day? A few times a week? Less than that?

It varies, depending on how busy I am IRL.  I'm also flexible, especially when there are multiple RP's around.  So, if Game A is crawling along at 1 post per month, I can deal if I can join Game B and maybe Game C.  It can also depend on how excited I am about a particular RP. :)  Probably 1 or 2 posts/day would be my top "speed limit" for a game (especially if I'm in multiple games), since my posts often take considerable time to write.  So, I'm probably not the best player for a game where everyone else wants to gallop along at a dozen posts a day and/or where there are so many players that I can't keep track of all their characters ("Who is Kaelavrian again?") and what they're doing.

2. What kind of post lenghts do you like? A sentence? Several paragraphs?

Generally, I go for at least a paragraph or so.  However, I have been known to enter Posts (and Bios) of Extraordinary Length, such that one player (I don't recall who offhand) proposed the 'logos' as a unit of (long) post length. That would make a one-liner post a mililogos in length, approximately. ;) 

If I'm RP'ing something like a conversation between characters where there wouldn't be much description and no outside character interaction, I'll suggest doing that as a "Joint Post" (where I and the other player RP the conversation or part of it in back-and-forth short posts via PM, chat or some other such method, then one of us compiles the PM's into a single post of paragraph+ length), instead of having it post in the game thread as a bunch of one-liners.

I haven't played an RP on a forum (or in Twitter or some such) in which the standard post length was supposed to be one-liner or some three-digit character limit.  I suspect I would not be very good at it, but I'm not adverse to giving it a try.

3. Describe your ideal roplay, not in terms of genre so much, but in how it runs.

Hmmm.  I'm not too fussy.  An occasional one- or two-liner doesn't bug me too much if the situation warrants it, such as a character standing in a hallway having a conversation, and their player just posts their reply.  However if their character is Queen of Merelandria and my character is coming on a state visit, I'd find one-liners/super-short posts less helpful.  E.g.:

"Queen Mirya of Merelandria sat on her throne, bored out of her skull."

OK, but what does her palace look like?  How is she dressed?  Does she have guards or soldiers around?  Other nobility?  Servants?  Is her kingdom prosperous and powerful, or is it in ruins?  Is the culture Standard Medievaltm or something else, like ancient Persian or Chinese?  Without at least some scene-setting, it's hard for me to determine my character's reaction to what s/he's experiencing.

I like a game to be run on the basic "rules of roleplaying," e.g., no godmoding, no controlling other people's characters, and so on.  I prefer a separate OT thread (so that there aren't a bunch of OT posts in the game thread, breaking the flow of the story).  I like characters and settings to be consistent and well-fleshed out.

Some pet peeves: giant plot holes (such as teenagers wearing battlesuits and carrying lethal weapons to high school in a futuristic totalitarian Communist dictatorship and openly defying the authorities with impunity), anachronisms (characters showing up in jeans and sneakers in a setting where those wouldn't exist, using modern slang and the like in a non-modern setting, etc.), characters who act as if they know they have Player Character Shields or otherwise behave implausibly.        

4. What does the term "Roleplay Game" mean to you? What about a "Shared Novel"? Are there any other roleplay-related terms you think are important? Can you define them for me?

I guess I'm not hip to this distinction of terminology.  I don't think I'd call something a "shared novel" unless it was designed to have a beginning and an end, and the authors intended to edit it after completion for publication (in print or on the web, whatever) as an actual novel.

In this context (over the internet, no paper, no dice, no rule books, compendiums, modules, etc.), I'd refer to all of the games here as "Roleplay Games" or "RPG's."  For me, a "Roleplay Game" or "Role Play Game" is a game in which Players (participants who are not the Game Master) take the Role of one or more Characters and play them within the context of the setting.  The Game Master (or GM) is someone who creates the setting, overarching plot, and rules for an RPG.  Their word is law.  The GM can also have Characters, but a good GM does not use their status to advantage their characters (make them invincible, etc.). 

I wouldn't really call it something else if it had some other format, such as being played on a chat room or via Twitter, unless I was talking to someone outside the RP ("Oh, this is a Play-By-Twitter RPG, so your posts have to be within the 140 character limit.").

I'm not sure if I'm answering this question the way you're looking for.  Do you have any particular RP terms that you'd like me to define?

I ask because (if I'm recalling the conversation correctly) earlier in chat I described Battle of Solaris as an RPG were we would ideally be getting 2-3 posts a week per character and Para said "thats not a roleplay! Thats a shared novel!" I've never heard the term shared novel before so I'm curious. 

I'm not hip to any terminology differences for RP's/Shared Novels/etc. based on posting frequency, so I'm not much help there, I guess. :)

Where did everyone go?

SOS. Am stuck under an avalanche of dissertation work. Send halp Dx

Para and Ash said they are taking a short break and a few of us are just a bit busy sadly for CTF, let alone justfying the amount of time RPs take ;-; 

I'm around-ish I'm just really. really. swamped right now. I'll be sure to post in Solarius and Tartarus this weekend. 

A WHOLE LOT OF NOTHING! 

And don't you dare come gallivanting on in here thinking that your gonna RPG again because you'll just leave!!! *drama drama drama* D:

Edited by Marley

hunger-games-character-resolutions-peeta

.... mainly because site rules would probably not have me post a support of the Katniss + Peeta ship name hahahaa

So...if one of us tries to start an RP, will that scare everybody off? ;)

Everyone's already scared off

Its really just that we're all pretty busy in real life, plus there's a bit of a rift between the new CTF RPers and the oldies. Not a bad one mind you, but they tend to like games that have shorter post lengths with several posts in a day. If you have a game idea I'm all for it, but personally I suggest we move it to Iwaku so that we can maybe fill some of the gaps with their memberbase. 

Its really just that we're all pretty busy in real life, plus there's a bit of a rift between the new CTF RPers and the oldies. Not a bad one mind you, but they tend to like games that have shorter post lengths with several posts in a day. If you have a game idea I'm all for it, but personally I suggest we move it to Iwaku so that we can maybe fill some of the gaps with their memberbase. 

Iwaku?

Iwaku?

It's a roleplay site that some of us old RPers have fiddled around with some.