Marley

Roleplay Discussion

Yeah. I've been working on my character for the new one...but I'm being slow. I've also tried to write posts for other Rps...with no results. I don't know how many of is are around anymore. :(

*Very long and drawn out cough* (Very Dramatic)

So uh. Hi.  Does anyone possibly want to get things going?

I posted in Souless. I think Kaos might be mostly dead, but you might be able to poke that one to life TK if you just read over what was going on.

As for new ideas, I'm on Marley's Doctor Who one, but I'm pretty spent with getting new rps off the ground. 

Yeah, I don't know how I would start new Rp's like every other week before. It's very hard to get things going, again. Especially when a lot of us are not around anymore. 

So... how is everyone?

Oi. So I miss writing but still don't know if I have the time/motivation/whatever for a regular game. Sooo I'm just posting. Howdy and Hello and how are you all. Any interesting writings going on in your life (rpg or otherwise)?

Manfred and I have a personal rp where we post like once a week, but that's all my non-academic writing at this moment.

I've been toying with an idea for a while. Some characters from Role Plays and some other characters that never saw the light of day, er... computer screen. But other than that I've been writing minimally. 

Haha yea, I'd really like to get in the habit of writing regularly again. Even if not RPGs.... Maybe I can try to set aside sometime during the week. Just a two hour block to write creative-y things and drink coffee or some such. XD

I mean it's not like I couldn't come up with an idea for a game, but nothing is grabbing me at the moment and I know I wouldn't be able to dedicate much more than an hour or two a week to something (though this quarter is supposed to be easier than the last). I miss writing though... maybe I should just focus on a project or two that aren't necessarily RPGs. *shrugs*

I have a hard time writing in a not RPG format because I can't seem to come up with an entire plot on my own. 

^ haha yea that's how I feel. RPGs have spoiled me. XD

I can create characters and worlds but get stuck on longer lasting plots.

Have ideas, realize you lack time or players to make those games realities.

Sad day.

EDIT: And holy cow I spot a Logos in the "members online" HI LOGOS! *waves*

Edited by Marley

LOGOS! HAI.

I have time and I'm a player. Well, not that kind of Player but you get what I mean.

LOGOS! HAI.

I have time and I'm a player. Well, not that kind of Player but you get what I mean.

Haha yea, that's what you meant. ;)

Jk jk

You might have time. I don't really have time. Plus, at least one of the games I'm thinking about I'd want to be able to work with themes a bit heavy for this website I think. *shrugs* But I'll let you know.

Ah yes, college. And its completely understandable, heavy themes are a bit, well... heavy.

I'm thinking that once I finish the school year and then get back from Europe I simply must start a game again. I hate not writing and at least if I'm working over the summer work won't come home with me in the evenings. XP

I've got two games that I'm playing with. One idea would actually be to get that Starlings/Zodiac/Whatever thing up and running (actually got about 12pgs worth of plot and worldbuilding notes done during one night a while back). I could run this one on CTF and kind of tailor it so that a small group with the potential for growth is possible.

The other is something a little deeper. I want to do a game with pre-existing relationships. As in, I don't want all the characters to just be meeting eachother but to mostly come in interwoven. My idea was a sort of large backwoods family (extended family) and a few friends. Sligthley gritty, Americana feel to the thing.  I'd give out vague relationships as character "slots" but then let people fill them in, with wiggle room of course. Not a huge group, but large enough where I'm not sure we could swing it with the current folks on CTF. I'm still kind of fiddling with it but I'm thinking it would either be realistic or like slightly not-realistic (as in add in one supernatural element, zombies/ghosts/were-wolves/something but not overdone). Idk I'm just somewhat interested in playing different ages and relationships. My idea right now is that you have one kind-but-a-bit-eccentric old guy who is sort of the leader of this family/group/thing but that then his brother (who hasn't been seen in a while) shows up and somehow this causes BIG trouble but not in an obvious way. Still working with it. I gotta figure out how to play this.

But yea... just thinking out loud really. Sorry haha.

Edited by Marley

I'd be up for either game Marley, but my writing isn't nearly as consistent as it used to be. My only request is that you do work in a super-natural element to the second game. Things without some sort of mystery, fantasy, or horror element to them generally bore me, so if it's just going to be a family living out it's normal life, I probably won't have any inspiration. 

Dude, anything is good. I adore the idea of Starlings, but I'm also really liking the second idea. I'd love a mystery-fantasy game with deep complex relationships.

Don't worry Zabs I was thinking that we might need something supernatural to get things off the ground.

My main bit is I just want differing relationships. I'm just pretty bored with "A bunch of 15-24yr olds meeting for the first time" if I can find a way to setup a backdrop/mystery thing that's what I want to do. I deff want to add in a mystery/horror element (though not too hardcore horror) I'm just not exactly sure how to do that (the mystery at least, I should be able to get a horror/supernatural element fine). This particular game is a bit nebulous at the moment. Like I know what I want, just still working on actual making it workable. I know I've given yall practically nothing (and that I won't really be able to do much for at least 5wks here) but if you have any ideas shoot em at me. This is the one I mentioned that I'd hesitate slightly to put on CTF. Not that I couldn't make it CTF friendly, its just that I'd like to be able to deal with tougher/grittier themes (this idea kind of sprung out of watching Winter's Bone a while back haha) that might not be the best for this website (nothing to big mind you, its just I want the liberty to work with those elements without worrying that it's not site appropriate). idk. I'll keep you updated. XD

Starlings I know would be CTF friendly (if everyone was cool with the zodiac element which I could change to planets if I needed too *shrugs*) I'm just kinda fiddling with the plot a bit. That's really why this one never got off the ground. Love the idea and don't want to it to be instantly killed by plot deadness. I wrote a short story involving a character(s) I'd like to use in this one a while back and so its got me thinking.

So yep, back of the mind but don't get too exited yet... I'm in school till mid June. XP

HI EVERYONE! *waves back*

It's great to see some activity 'round here.  I've missed this place.

I'm thinking that once I finish the school year and then get back from Europe I simply must start a game again. I hate not writing and at least if I'm working over the summer work won't come home with me in the evenings. XP

I've got two games that I'm playing with. One idea would actually be to get that Starlings/Zodiac/Whatever thing up and running (actually got about 12pgs worth of plot and worldbuilding notes done during one night a while back). I could run this one on CTF and kind of tailor it so that a small group with the potential for growth is possible.

Is that the one where characters were associated with different zodiac signs and had related powers?  I'd be "game" for that one. :)

The other is something a little deeper. I want to do a game with pre-existing relationships. As in, I don't want all the characters to just be meeting eachother but to mostly come in interwoven. My idea was a sort of large backwoods family (extended family) and a few friends. Sligthley gritty, Americana feel to the thing.  I'd give out vague relationships as character "slots" but then let people fill them in, with wiggle room of course. Not a huge group, but large enough where I'm not sure we could swing it with the current folks on CTF. I'm still kind of fiddling with it but I'm thinking it would either be realistic or like slightly not-realistic (as in add in one supernatural element, zombies/ghosts/were-wolves/something but not overdone). Idk I'm just somewhat interested in playing different ages and relationships. My idea right now is that you have one kind-but-a-bit-eccentric old guy who is sort of the leader of this family/group/thing but that then his brother (who hasn't been seen in a while) shows up and somehow this causes BIG trouble but not in an obvious way. Still working with it. I gotta figure out how to play this.

But yea... just thinking out loud really. Sorry haha.

I like the pre-existing relationships thing.  I don't think I've ever seen that done here before.  As for how "deep" we can go, TJ set a pretty high (low?) bar in his posts as Slaughter in "March of Vengeance."  So, this game is kinda "Rednecks + Lovecraft?"  At least that's the impression that comes to mind.  Something like a backwoods version of "The Dunwich Horror:"

Hey Logos! *Glomps*

Yessir the Zodiac thing is exactly what I'm talking about. Nothing has changed too much from the original idea, I was just thinking about it recently.

As for the other... Rednecks + Lovecraft is sort of the right feel. Though again, that one is only in it's beginning stages so I'm not entirely sure how I'm gonna swing it. I'd rather do something more original than the vamps/zombies/werewolves route but I haven't thought of anything yet.... considered a demon/preacher/necromancer type thing briefly... or like maybe some sort of witch/creature/thing that demands a young girl as sacrifice once every seven years or something. Have a couple "non-clan" characters investigating a missing teenage girl... discover things are weirder than they though. idk. I wasn't in March of Vengence long so I don't really know how gritty is tolerable. We'd probably be fine here. I just don't want to offend any kiddos.... I feel so old around here these days. XP  

Only unfortunante problem here is that I'm in the thick of a masters program right now and really won't have a large block of time to dedicate to this till mid-june.

I could potentially participate in whatever y'all end up doing :V I've begun to roleplay regularly at other boards, and it's made me realize how much I miss the game. Both of Marley's ideas sound appealing to me <3

Edited by Yves

OH MY GOSH IT'S A LOGOS.

But yay roleplay. As for a unique idea for the roleplay thing, I love the idea of the sacrifice every 7 years thing. It could be like this one particular family is just one group of a master "cult" that is spread all across the world. Then we could put like a "Cabin in the Woods" spin on it. Like, if they don't do the sacrifice then some beastie rises or we could go a little less fantasy and more conspiracy theory. "If you don't sacrifice the one, we will sacrifice a thousand."

Then again, too dark is a thing.

Logos <3 *had graduation today so am too tired to function except this post*

^ You graduated today?!?!?! Congratulations Zabby!

And I'm mad jealous 'cause my next 4 wks are gonna be nuts...  

But then RPGS!

*Hugs all around*

Just to stir the pot a little, I've been wanting to play a couple different games here for awhile.  One is "Real-Life Superheroes"--this would be similar to the movie Kick-A**; a world, or maybe just a city, where law and order have broken down to the point that a number of people have decided to fight back, as superheroes.  The twist is that they have to be plausible residents of a Realistictm setting: no telepaths, shape-shifters, laser-eyes, etc.  They could be extraordinary: circus performers, Navy SEALS, Shaolin monks, genius techies, or people with an odd ability or talent like the ones in (IIRC) "Stan Lee's Superhumans."  Techie heroes (or villains) can use unusual or cutting-edge technologies, but the player should be able to provide something like a tech news story about the technology or something similar, or an explanation of how it works that is consistent with known physics and engineering.  Edit: The player wouldn't have to include such citations in their bio, but their character's technologies should be the sort of thing they could back up with citations/explanations if the GM questioned a technology's plausibility.  For example, a tech hero/-ine could have non-sapient robots or remote-control drone quadcopters, but no Iron Man suit, Fusion Ray, teleporter, etc..   

The other game concept I have in mind is post-apocalypse/post-collapse.  Like Mad Max, but maybe a century or more after the fall, so that new cultures and new sorts of technology have had time to arise.  The techs would be weird from our perspective, so there could be, say, a culture that's "post-apocalypse steampunk," using solar concentrators to generate the steam, or a culture that relies heavily on sophisticated domestication of insects (e.g. they can use pheromones to guide silkworms and/or Darwin's Bark Spiders to spin silk onto frameworks, creating everything from shelters to clothing to sails for ships, etc.).  I'm not sure at this point if the game would have mutated monsters like Fallout 3 (via nuclear radiation, or the products of genetic experiments performed toward the end of the World That Was) or not.

Variation: "Survivors," a story set in the aftermath of an epidemic that wiped out ~95% of the human race.  The cities are mostly abandoned, but enough people are left to start trying to rebuild...or form gangs and go on the warpath.  This is set immediately after the epidemic, so the characters would be trying to survive and make lives for themselves in a mostly-depopulated world.  There would be cars with gas in them, guns, canned food, etc., but none of those things are being replaced, and they'll only last so long...

Edited by Logos