Marley

Roleplay Discussion

Right, so bearing in mind this will take ages to write up if I go through with it and so won't start soon (probably put it on the new forum) would anyone be interested in this at some point?

TitleScreen-2.png

Summary: So the RP is based off the completely wonderful 'Fallen London' and 'Sunless Sea' games, but you don't need prior knowledge to play. I'll give a more discriptive background if it gets off the ground but basically it's set in the Victorian era where bats have dragged England's capital underground to 'The Neath', the hollow center of earth containing 'Hell' (a neighboring bureaucracy of Devils) and the Elder Continents. The games are all about different factions, the people (and not-so people) you meet, choices and the lovecraftian insanity and all round strangeness you see everywhere. Overall tone is an AU Gothic Mystery/Horror with a fair splash of humour. 

The good thing about Fallen London and the story I have in mind is you can make pretty much every character you want, a Rubbery Man (think Cthulhu with a top hat) campaigning for better rights, a butler in an underground gambling ring, a smuggler of human souls, a retired captain who saw things beyond human sanity and comprehension, a decaying Tomb Colonist trying to get back into society, a corrupt policeman, pest exterminator, a butcher, baker or indeed, candlestick maker. There's no rail-roading in backstory, you can be as weird or as normal as you want. 

The story is in the super early stages but it involves all of the player characters having a shared, horrific dream which implies the invasion of London from supernatural forces not seen this side of the Neath. It will have a center plot which is found and progressed through by completing relevant smaller stories, which can be taken by the whole group or just a few. This makes it super easy for new players and lets people go at their own pace while discovering lore and storylets. So for example you need to find an expert on historical artifacts so you hear about a forger who has gone missing after completing a job for the The Masters (a mysterious group who run Fallen London). You get the picture.

But yeah it needs work but it just depends if people are interested.

Eh. Not really. I'll send you a link. Things were just so slow here, and I wanted to write! 

Exelent, please do.

A group of friends and i started a christian themed star wars inspired rp series (fidelis) our latest episode just started, anyone who into sci fi welcome :)

Current episode

http://kingdomgamer.net/mysteries-of-the-mysts.t844/

Backstory to the Current Episode (WIP)

http://kingdomgamer.net/karkha-hegemony.f134/

Series

http://kingdomgamer.net/the-fidelis-universe.f43/

(and an unrelated WIP based in a post apoc world)

http://kingdomgamer.net/rule-of-law-universe.f111/

Edited by Richard.r

Kinda wanting to start a game. Nothing to complicated and nothing that I have to post fast in (I work full time, but I can post 1-2 a day) but just something. Not super high level, but also not one-liners (I'd be looking for one decent paragraph a post, maybe 4-5 lines). Wouldn't mind doing a reboot of something I've had in the past, would like to attract some of the new kiddos along with oldies. So...! 

What kind of book series might yall be interested in? Is Harry Potter still popular? Would I get a few bites in a Divergent themed game? Is there another book/movie series most would be familiar with? How about Post-Apocalyptic sci/fantasy? Super Powers? Slice of Life? Vamps/Werewolves/Ghosts/Zombies? What age groups do you typically like to play? What do you like in an RPG, basically?

I can come up with ideas, no problem, I'm just trying to figure out what type of game might capture interest since there seems to be a renewed interest. I'm not interested in starting a game unless I can get about 4 players not including myself. 

Edited by Marley

At Above;

I'd happily join any role-play! If possible, could it be a Percy Jackson one?

Edited by paraskeve

Hm. I've read some Percy Jackson, but it was a long time ago. I could do it, but I'd have to do some research. What is it about Percy Jackson that you really like? The mythology element? The age group? 

Edited by Marley

Hm. I've read some Percy Jackson, but it was a long time ago. I could do it, but I'd have to do some research. What is it about Percy Jackson that you really like? The mythology element? The age group? 

I like the mythology element in it all. 

At current, I'm leaning towards a sort of whimsical fantasy set in a universe I've dabbled in before. In this iteration, we'd see the beginnings of the battle for Solaris, a prosperous city that has experienced a long reign of peace after a war that left it split between three factions. For the last 200yrs, it has been ruled jointly by the "Three King's of Solaris" as well as (unofficially) the "Dragon Sage" who acts as a sort of adviser to the group. In the modern day, however, generations have passed since this pact was made and the descendants of the original kings grow restless. Citizens of this Kingdom are primarily  elf/human hybrids but there are other races (Fairies, Dragons, Sabirs, Ogres, Goblins and more) that live on the periphery or far off lands. Dragon Riders would also play a role in this game.

I'd write up an intro with current happenings and then either let players pick a character who was mentioned (unless they're one I need to control) or create their own. I'd try to keep background lore but detailed enough to be interesting without being too complex.

The thing about Percy Jackson is I don't know the universe super well, same with Fallout. So I'm gonna say no for now. If you want one you should totally make one!

At current, I'm leaning towards a sort of whimsical fantasy set in a universe I've dabbled in before. In this iteration, we'd see the beginnings of the battle for Solaris, a prosperous city that has experienced a long reign of peace after a war that left it split between three factions. For the last 200yrs, it has been ruled jointly by the "Three King's of Solaris" as well as (unofficially) the "Dragon Sage" who acts as a sort of adviser to the group. In the modern day, however, generations have passed since this pact was made and the descendants of the original kings grow restless. Citizens of this Kingdom are primarily  elf/human hybrids but there are other races (Fairies, Dragons, Sabirs, Ogres, Goblins and more) that live on the periphery or far off lands. Dragon Riders would also play a role in this game.

I'd write up an intro with current happenings and then either let players pick a character who was mentioned (unless they're one I need to control) or create their own. I'd try to keep background lore but detailed enough to be interesting without being too complex.

The thing about Percy Jackson is I don't know the universe super well, same with Fallout. So I'm gonna say no for now. If you want one you should totally make one!

I got a story made up based off fallout 3

Sounds good! :D

So, I know I'm kinda the worst at keeping games alive but I think I'm at a point in life where I can take on a game. I'd only be able to post maybe twice a day. Between work, school, and church responsibilities, I won't have a lot of time to manage a game, so if any of you are wanting to make a new game then I'd be happy to join. I'd honestly be okay with anything. Just not post-apocalyptic. Please.

I have an idea for a Alice in Wonderland themed game that would essentially be a training game. The four main characters would be INTENSELY railroaded in the beginning (as in I'd basically write a profile and you'd get to add your picture) and all other players would essentially be co-gming with me and having characters that also fit a certain narritive. I'd discussed this idea with a few people but idk. Just a thought again. 

Also considering putting up a CTF montly writing contest. Would yall be interested in something like that again? 

Writing contest sounds pretty awesome ^-^ Never done one before. And i'm definitely up for the RP

Edited by slycooper

Right-O. I'll put the contest up tomorrow, I already have an idea for a November theme. If we get enough interest, it could even be bi-weekly. 

The game might take longer but I'm gonna mull it over. :) 

After a very brief conversation with Paraskeve, I've got a little survey for the roleplayers (oldies and newbies alike please). 

1. What kind of pace to you like in a roleplay? Do you want to be posting multiple times a day? A few times a week? Less than that? 

2. What kind of post lenghts do you like? A sentence? Several paragraphs? 

3. Describe your ideal roplay, not in terms of genre so much, but in how it runs. 

4. What does the term "Roleplay Game" mean to you? What about a "Shared Novel"? Are there any other roleplay-related terms you think are important? Can you define them for me? 

I ask because (if I'm recalling the conversation correctly) earlier in chat I described Battle of Solaris as an RPG were we would ideally be getting 2-3 posts a week per character and Para said "thats not a roleplay! Thats a shared novel!" I've never heard the term shared novel before so I'm curious. 

Edited by Marley

1. What kind of pace to you like in a roleplay? Do you want to be posting multiple times a day? A few times a week? Less than that?

I can only post about 2-4 times a week, depending on my schedule. Sometimes it could be more but sometimes I can only post maybe once a week.

2. What kind of post lenghts do you like? A sentence? Several paragraphs?

Single sentence drives me crazy. 2 to 3 paragraphs seems good. You can't describe how your character truly feels in just a sentence.

3. Describe your ideal roplay, not in terms of genre so much, but in how it runs.

I want a game to start right into the action then go on from there. For example, Soulless in Seattle (may the game rest in piece) had two stories going kinda. We had a conversation heavy story happening in a coffee shop, while an intense interrogation scene happened in a warehouse. The warehouse was enjoyable to write for because things were happening. Not just teenagers talking and waiting for something interesting to happen to advance the plot.

Haven't read the posts. I just saw the word "Writing contest" and I'm just gonna say... might not be a good idea what with NaNoWriMo. 

1. I like roleplays that are not too quick but not too slow. I think when people post at least twice a week they move along, but it gives people time to really think their posts through.

2. I think when you have an RP they are more in depth and you really get to know a character when the posts are at least a paragraph. Every once in awhile there can be short replies, but if they're always real short it doesn't carry the story as far. However, each post doesn't have to be a novel as long as you're really getting your character in it. (it's not the easiest thing. Believe me, I've read some of my old posts and they are pretty rough.)

3.I like when everyone is involved with each other. I think when it's all about two people it takes away from the movement of the story. I also like when there is one goal for the good/bad groups so they have something to work for.

Haven't read the posts. I just saw the word "Writing contest" and I'm just gonna say... might not be a good idea what with NaNoWriMo. 

To late. XD 

Are you doing Nano this year? There's no way I could swing it.