Being a Bisexual Christian?

hehasmyheart95

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jessica,

The Bible doesn't ever directly mention anything about being bisexual.  However, I think it's abundantly clear from the Bible's teachings on homosexuality, that being bisexual would be considered sinful.    I personally don't believe you can live in an openly sinful lifestyle and have the kind of relationship that God wants to have with you at the same time.  If you're openly living in unrepentant sin - whatever it may be - homosexuality, premarital sex, adultery, etc. - I believe you're walking in open rebellion to Jesus and how can you grow close to someone when you're rebellious?

You know, many Christian say that bisexuality and homosexuality are particularly evil sins - but in 1 Corinthians, we're all called sexual sinners.  I said that in another thread just a moment ago.  Being bisexual is not any less forgivable than any other sin.   God offers forgiveness to any and everyone who will trust in Jesus Christ for salvation and He will make us a new creation.  Praise God for that! :)

I hope this helps, Jessica - if not - let me know! :)

Your sexual orientation does not determine how close to God you can be.  Following God's correct path is what brings you closer to him.  For example when I thought I was straight I was pretty far from God's reach and disinterested in really looking for him and just went "through the motions" of being a Christian.  After realizing my homosexual orientation I was able to open up and get much closer to God.  So to answer your question sometimes being bisexual/homosexual can help bring someone closer to God, it's not gonna break the relationship.

Jessica,

The Bible doesn't ever directly mention anything about being bisexual.  However, I think it's abundantly clear from the Bible's teachings on homosexuality, that being bisexual would be considered sinful.    I personally don't believe you can live in an openly sinful lifestyle and have the kind of relationship that God wants to have with you at the same time.  If you're openly living in unrepentant sin - whatever it may be - homosexuality, premarital sex, adultery, etc. - I believe you're walking in open rebellion to Jesus and how can you grow close to someone when you're rebellious?

You know, many Christian say that bisexuality and homosexuality are particularly evil sins - but in 1 Corinthians, we're all called sexual sinners.  I said that in another thread just a moment ago.  Being bisexual is not any less forgivable than any other sin.   God offers forgiveness to any and everyone who will trust in Jesus Christ for salvation and He will make us a new creation.  Praise God for that! :)

I hope this helps, Jessica - if not - let me know! :)

I agree wholeheartedly with the above!

The biblical literature is utterly silent on the issue of female-to-female relations. It only ever references male-to-male eroticism.

While this may be an accurate observation, it then begs the question: If male-to-male sexual relations are condemned, why would female-to-female relations be acceptable? Same sex relations are same sex relations regardless of which gender is involved. If one is a sin, the other is a sin.

Edited by HaleyGirl16

I agree wholeheartedly with the above!

While this may be an accurate observation, it then begs the question: If male-to-male sexual relations are condemned, why would female-to-female relations be acceptable? Same sex relations are same sex relations regardless of which gender is involved. If one is a sin, the other is a sin.

Not to reply for wesker cuz he can handle himself but your logic is flawed.  If you are extrapolating from male-male to same sex then we can all say sexual relations are still sexual relations and if same sex relations are sin so are different sex relations.

You keep saying "same-sex relations" as if the biblical literature contains a heterosexual/homosexual dichotomy. The ancient world did not have the notion of sexual identity as we do. To plaster that language on the biblical literature is to do injustice to the Word of God — a sin in history known as presentism. The idea of sexual identity, the belief that we have a sexual orientation that reflects our true identity, is a modernist invention. Greek culture had a conception of sexual identity that was based on whether or not one was the active or passive partner in the sex act — a notion that does not exist in our modernist culture.

I reject your assertion that if male-to-male sexual relations are considered a sin then that logically necessitates the immorality of female-to-female sexual relations. The biblical literature delineates gender distinctions for males and females. For instance, St. Paul preaches that the male is to act as the head of the female in the marital relationship, and this idea is why many denominations do not believe that a female should be a pastor/priest. Men and women have different roles. So it is perhaps the case that the Bible is telling us that there is something particularly sinful with male-to-male relations that dishonors one's body, but relations between females does not dishonor their bodies. 

What do you make of Romans 1:26?

I interpret it as a condemnation of anal sex. Verse 26, does not have the reflexivity of Verse 27, so I think it is incorrect to interpret it as an instance of lesbianism, but rather women allowing themselves to be anally penetrated. 

God loves us, unconditionally. As humans, we are all sinful and everyone has fallen short of the glory of God. But God cannot tolerate sin- He couldn't even look upon His own Beloved Son when Jesus took upon Himself all the sins of the world as He was crucified. The hard truth is that sexual deviancy is a sin, just as lying and hate and murder are. And all sins are equal. I'm not trying to be harsh, but that's the simple truth according to scripture. I have personal experience with this- I was in the homosexual lifestyle up until a few months ago. Just like any other addiction or stronghold, it's hard to break. Have faith in Him, for He can do anything, even the impossible.

If anyone wants more information on this, read this:  http://www.christianteenforums.com/index.php?/topic/71583-in-depth-notes-from-the-bible-and-dying-for-love-on-the-process-of-deliverance/ and read the Bible.

(On a side note, for those of you who may have the believe that people cannot change or "come out" of the deviant lifestyle, especially homosexuality, look at all the people who go from straight to gay. The reverse can also happen. So please, don't tell me it's not possible, because I know it is.)

God loves us, unconditionally. As humans, we are all sinful and everyone has fallen short of the glory of God. But God cannot tolerate sin- He couldn't even look upon His own Beloved Son when Jesus took upon Himself all the sins of the world as He was crucified. The hard truth is that sexual deviancy is a sin, just as lying and hate and murder are. And all sins are equal. I'm not trying to be harsh, but that's the simple truth according to scripture. I have personal experience with this- I was in the homosexual lifestyle up until a few months ago. Just like any other addiction or stronghold, it's hard to break. Have faith in Him, for He can do anything, even the impossible.

If anyone wants more information on this, read this:  http://www.christianteenforums.com/index.php?/topic/71583-in-depth-notes-from-the-bible-and-dying-for-love-on-the-process-of-deliverance/ and read the Bible.

(On a side note, for those of you who may have the believe that people cannot change or "come out" of the deviant lifestyle, especially homosexuality, look at all the people who go from straight to gay. The reverse can also happen. So please, don't tell me it's not possible, because I know it is.)

How old were you when you "were in the gay lifestyle?" how long did it last?  and how old were you when you got out of it?  

I do not doubt that a person can stop having same-sex relations. I am doubtful that people whose libidinal energy has cathected from an early age will ever be able to stop having homoerotic emotions. The downfall and self-destruction of Exodus International is a monument for the catastrophe of conversion therapy. It is for this reason that the Roman Catholic Church preaches celibacy for those who are homosexual, rather than give credence to foolhardy attempts to make one heterosexual. 

I think the point here might be to ask the question: can you be a sinner and be a Christian? 

If you believe sexuality other than heterosexuality to be a sin, and if you believe that all sins are "equal" (a position promoted in this thread that I reject), then that's the boiled-down version of what you're asking. 

I'd argue that the definition of a Christian is a Christ-follower, a sinner saved by grace through faith. Put that definition into the first question I asked, and you get "Can you be a sinner and be a sinner saved by grace through faith?" Looking at it like that, it seems like "Can you be a Christian and be bisexual?" is a tautological question. 

I see plenty of Christians (especially on this forum) who fail to love their neighbour as themselves, who fail to give to the poor, feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, visit the sick and imprisoned, clothe the naked, and stand up for the oppressed, but I know they're Christians (even if it's something I admit rather begrudgingly), despite their failings in some areas. I think some people here need to see the greater, bigger picture of sanctification, and develop a more profound understanding of what "May Your kingdom come, Your will be done" really means. 

I think the point here might be to ask the question: can you be a sinner and be a Christian? 

If you believe sexuality other than heterosexuality to be a sin, and if you believe that all sins are "equal" (a position promoted in this thread that I reject), then that's the boiled-down version of what you're asking. 

I'd argue that the definition of a Christian is a Christ-follower, a sinner saved by grace through faith. Put that definition into the first question I asked, and you get "Can you be a sinner and be a sinner saved by grace through faith?" Looking at it like that, it seems like "Can you be a Christian and be bisexual?" is a tautological question. 

I see plenty of Christians (especially on this forum) who fail to love their neighbour as themselves, who fail to give to the poor, feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, visit the sick and imprisoned, clothe the naked, and stand up for the oppressed, but I know they're Christians (even if it's something I admit rather begrudgingly), despite their failings in some areas. I think some people here need to see the greater, bigger picture of sanctification, and develop a more profound understanding of what "May Your kingdom come, Your will be done" really means. 

And that, my dear Anglican friend, is what we call a healthy perspective. 

Well said

How old were you when you "were in the gay lifestyle?" how long did it last?  and how old were you when you got out of it?  

I was gay up until mid-July of this year, just after my 17th birthday. Like, literally as long as I can remember I was attracted to the same sex, so my whole life up until those few months ago.

I think the point here might be to ask the question: can you be a sinner and be a Christian? 

Hmm, let me clarify my statement on all sins being equal: (Romans 6:23) For the wages of sin is death: but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord - All sin is equal in God's eyes, and He cannot look upon sin. When we are saved and covered by the blood of the Lamb, we are washed clean. So maybe some sins have worse consequences and some are worse in nature, but all sin is wrong. The only exception is the Unforgivable Sin, blasphemy (Matthew 12:31-32)

Edited by Soulaire

I don't like to get involved in controversial discussions or debates regarding homosexuality. But this is only about bisexuality. So I guess I'll say something brief.

How does your friend define bisexual? One can define bisexual many ways and bisexuality means different things to different people. As do homosexuality and heterosexuality. But also the actual sexual attractions and romantic interests of a bisexual person vary much more from person to person than they do for gay and straight people. Unlike being completely or almost completely attracted to the same or opposite sex, a bisexual person is attracted to both sexes on varying degrees. A bisexual person can be anywhere from mostly straight to mostly gay. So someone realizing they're bisexual is probably a lot more complicated than a person realizing their gay (or straight for that matter). I have no idea what it's like to be attracted to both sexes, but these things I would imagine to be true. 

Edited by ComedyMusicHistory

More complicated how? I mean, sure, if you felt the compulsion to get an exact percentage of attraction then it might be complicated... but realizing that you are attracted to both sexes? Nah. Sexuality is just weird in general. It can be extremely complicated if you want it to be, or you can just boil it down too 'I'm attracted to you.' or 'I'm not'. I mean, really, for the sake of discussion does it matter if I'm attracted to men 90% of the time and woman 10% of the time or if I'm about 50/50?

OP, your friend should know that there is no sexual preference that can keep you from God. Some {probably most} creeds might say that acting on one impulse or another is sinful but preference? That just kinda is. Sexuality, especially in woman, is a lot less linear then people think. It's not simply 'gay', 'straight', 'bi' but more like a great big ball of attraction and emotion and identity and stuff. And sometimes it defines a person and they think of themselves as a 'bisexual' and sometimes it's like 'Hey, are you gay or bi or straight or what?' and your just like 'Sheesh man, I dunno. I'm Ashley... nice to meet you.' And that's ok. It's not like theirs a line in who you are that will just put you in the 'not 100% Christian' pile. God will reach out to you regardless. Just because someone has a particular inclination does not mean that we should treat them as lesser in any form.

In our actions, things get a little more clear. Now, I'm not one whose going to say homosexuality is sinful or it's not but I will say this. Your friend should carefully, prayerfully and honestly form her conscious and obey it.

Sigmund Freud was right in asserting that we are born with a polymorphous perversity. We need to discard the discourse of modernism that we are born with a core sexual being, whether straight, gay, bisexual. Human sexuality is infinitely more complicated than that. It is fluid, it is unconscious and it is chaotic. We can make fetishes out of all sorts of objects and become sexually attracted to all kinds of actions like sadism and masochism, or pedophilia. It is in the nature of human sexuality to become all these things.